border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-16, 12:12 AM   #1
cyanide

Unhappy Coastal Threw up - But did not throw up food?

Hey all and thanks for reading,

I fed my coastal last night around 11pm. She is about 2.5 years old and on small rats. She has never vomited or had any issues with feeding since I first got her 2 years ago and I was getting her to eat for the first time.

All was very normal as far as the feed went, she ate the rat, roamed for a bit then went to her hide. I went to bed around 3am, and shortly after the lights went out I heard this horrible noise coming from her tank, a loud gurgling/retching noise. I was alarmed and turned the lights on to check on her.

Her body was contorting and she was opening her mouth wide, very distressed. I watched in horror for a few minutes, but could not see any vomit in her tank, though I looked for the rat. When she had calmed I noticed she had a bit of what looked like either fur or substrate hanging off her chin, which she wiped on her hide.
I looked all throughout the tank and in hides for the rat, I found more vomit but it only contained more substrate/fur substance. There was not alot of vomit.

Temps - plus or minus 31C warm side. about 20C on cold side. 2 hides either side. Large water dish on cold side. Aspen bedding. Humidity kept around 40-50%.

Should I make an appt with her vet? I'm very concerned. She's sitting on her stick right now looking very sorry for herself!
Login to remove ads
Old 09-19-16, 05:07 AM   #2
cyanide

Re: Coastal Threw up - But did not throw up food?

Hey all, it's been about 3 days and I'm still concerned. She's been acting fairly normal, though a little more defensive.
My theory is that she swallowed a bit of substrate with her food and maybe it was stuck in her throat?
Any advice would be MUCH appreciated! I just want to do what's best for my little one.
Old 09-19-16, 07:31 AM   #3
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

I think she should be in the clear. If you want you can make a vet appointment but I'm unsure what they can do at this time.

I'd ensure her mouth is clear of any substrate.
Old 09-19-16, 10:12 AM   #4
cyanide

Thanks Aaron! She seems fine now. Should I wait a bit before feeding again? We usually go every 7 days. I've heard if they vomit they need 10 days for their stomach acid to replenish. My plan was to totally leave her be for 10 days before handling or feeding and then see how she goes. She doesn't seem at all distressed now
Old 09-19-16, 02:04 PM   #5
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanide View Post
Thanks Aaron! She seems fine now. Should I wait a bit before feeding again? We usually go every 7 days. I've heard if they vomit they need 10 days for their stomach acid to replenish. My plan was to totally leave her be for 10 days before handling or feeding and then see how she goes. She doesn't seem at all distressed now
I'd go with the 7 day period or skip one if it makes you more comfortable. Anything at 7 or 10 days or thereafter should be fine.

Just keep a close eye on her to ensure it doesn't happen again.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-19-16, 11:05 PM   #6
cyanide

Thanks so much I will do! I'll go back to using a feeding dish so she stops chowing down on substrate haha
Closed Thread

Tags
coastal carpet python, regurgitation, vomiting