border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Lampropeltis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-13, 09:12 PM   #1
Crashcrashboom

Question Hook training question

So, I've been hook training my aberrant cal king and he's doing fine so far. I just have a quick question I haven't been able to find any info online about. I use the hook to take him out of his terrarium every time, but is it alright to also take him out with it when I transfer him from there to the separate container I feed him in?
Login to remove ads
Old 05-04-13, 09:53 PM   #2
MDT

Re: Hook training question

The point of hook training is to break the feeding response when you "enter his domain"...there is no need to feed in separate container. You may likely be conditioning him to assoc being removed *from* his cage with food. Feed in his enclosure, if you need to interact w him, use the hook to tap/scoot/nudge him so he assoc that with no food.
Old 05-04-13, 10:37 PM   #3
slowhite03

I hook my mbk everytime. At first he hated it but now he knows once he gets hooked it's fine.
Old 05-05-13, 03:06 AM   #4
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

The hook should never be used when feeding, it is used to tell the snake that there is no food coming, if you then use it whilst feeding him it confuses the message.
Old 05-05-13, 06:29 AM   #5
SSSSnakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDT View Post
The point of hook training is to break the feeding response when you "enter his domain"...there is no need to feed in separate container. You may likely be conditioning him to assoc being removed *from* his cage with food. Feed in his enclosure, if you need to interact w him, use the hook to tap/scoot/nudge him so he assoc that with no food.
+1 Agree 100%
Login to remove ads
Old 05-05-13, 01:01 PM   #6
slowhite03

i disagree 100% with that, i use my hook everytime. when mine gets put in his feeder tank then he knows its feeding time. other times i just hold him and he is perfectly fine.
Old 05-05-13, 02:22 PM   #7
MDT

Can someone explain the benefit of feeding in separate cage? I mean really really give a thoughtful, cogent response. If there is a benefit, I would like to know what that is.
Old 05-05-13, 02:52 PM   #8
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowhite03 View Post
i disagree 100% with that, i use my hook everytime. when mine gets put in his feeder tank then he knows its feeding time. other times i just hold him and he is perfectly fine.
If you use a hook for everything then it's no longer trained for anything. Might as well not use it.
Old 05-05-13, 03:28 PM   #9
smy_749

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowhite03 View Post
So why do you use the hook if you can just hold him, and he only has a feeding response in his tub? Whats the point....
Old 05-05-13, 04:14 PM   #10
JWFugle

Quote:
Can someone explain the benefit of feeding in separate cage? I mean really really give a thoughtful, cogent response. If there is a benefit, I would like to know what that is.
the use of a separate feeding cage is completely up to the owner. most un-informed ppl think it is necessary to prevent the snake from ingesting bedding or w.e is used in your cage. this is false b/c given a proper diet and husbandry the snake will pass the small amounts of dirt in eats. most of these guys feed in the same cage it lives is because it would be a hassle to move the snake to a separate cage to feed it when you have several snakes and/or very large snakes. it may also stress the snake out resulting in the snake regurgitating the meal.

now this is my completely novice experience and opinion but if you can move the snake into a separate cage to feed the then the snake will be "feed cage" trained in the exact same way most people hook train. as in the snake will only think it is getting food when it is put in the Feed Cage. i have done this with my 2 corns for 12 years without any issue and am doing the same with my dwarf retic for the past 6 months. i will add that i have bought some Fillet gloves(slash and stab proof) that i use ONLY to remove the retic from the feed cage after wards to protect myself and somewhat mask my hands heat signature.

now with the whole stressing the snake out by handling it. whats worked for me is to feed them and wait till they start to move around again. either them trying to get out or just moving freely about means they are safe to be moved, always be extra sensitive and make sure to support its fattened body, but other than that i have never had aggression issues.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-05-13, 08:21 PM   #11
MDT

Again...not trying to be a DB, but......

What is the benefit? You know...like the benefit of thermostats are to have precise control over the temperatures of your animals that will allow for proper homeostasis of the organism. That is a benefit.

Are there any real benefits...or is just "it seems like a good thing because I learned from someone else?"

Flame away....
Old 05-05-13, 08:27 PM   #12
smy_749

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDT View Post
Again...not trying to be a DB, but......

What is the benefit? You know...like the benefit of thermostats are to have precise control over the temperatures of your animals that will allow for proper homeostasis of the organism. That is a benefit.

Are there any real benefits...or is just "it seems like a good thing because I learned from someone else?"

Flame away....
If your animal is a messy eater, you won't have to clean the blood and guts from his enclosure as often. You also won't have to constantly readjust your pretty enclosure decorations. Thats the best I could think of...
Old 05-05-13, 08:29 PM   #13
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by smy_749 View Post
If your animal is a messy eater, you won't have to clean the blood and guts from his enclosure as often. You also won't have to constantly readjust your pretty enclosure decorations. Thats the best I could think of...
I have yet to see a messy eater snake. Have good prey items, they are never messy. Even if they do get a little messy, I've always found my snakes to eat the guts hanging out if it happens.
Old 05-05-13, 08:36 PM   #14
smy_749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
I have yet to see a messy eater snake. Have good prey items, they are never messy. Even if they do get a little messy, I've always found my snakes to eat the guts hanging out if it happens.
I havent seen any either, but I felt the need to type something.
Old 05-05-13, 08:39 PM   #15
MDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by smy_749 View Post
I havent seen any either, but I felt the need to type something.
dude..that was awesome!
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
feeding, hook training, kingsnake