border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-17, 07:14 PM   #1
Pooki

Unhappy I need help with my snake?

Hi I am new, and I really need help with my snake.

I have grown very fond of my pet snake over the past 2 months. I love my cornsnake very much. But I have been trying to pick her up, and when I do she seems extremely afraid as me. I feel very bad about this because I love her like any other pet, its like if your pet dog that you have had for 5 months happened to not want to be around you.

does anyone have tips or help? I want to be able to handle her better.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-06-17, 12:44 AM   #2
GyGbeetle

Send a message via Yahoo to GyGbeetle
Re: I need help with my snake?

Don't be afraid to handle them, even if it seems like they are not fond of being handled. Try to incorporate it into a regular routine with her. Start off with 5-10 minutes of handling time a day, and keep working with her. Most snakes will seem timid at first, but will learn to tolerate the handling, which is good for the snake on cleaning days (less stressful when they don't constantly want to bite you and eat you), and can be beneficial for that perceived "bond" humans feel towards their animals.

Give it a couple of weeks of about 5-10 mins sessions, and see how it progresses from there.

But if anyone asks, I only have 1. The rest just showed up for the house party.
Old 04-06-17, 03:20 AM   #3
Doug 351

I agree^^^^
Old 04-06-17, 05:15 AM   #4
Scubadiver59

BTW, welcome to sSNAKESs!!
Old 04-06-17, 05:58 AM   #5
eminart

Well the first thing you should understand is that it's a snake. And snakes aren't anything like dogs. Your snake would be perfectly happy if it never saw you, or any other large predator again.

But, most of them adapt well to being handled. Like the others mentioned, the more you handle it, the more tame it will become. However, some snakes will become stressed and stop feeding with too much handling. I doubt you have that issue with a corn snake though.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Login to remove ads
Old 04-06-17, 06:06 AM   #6
Scubadiver59

My King still shakes its tail at me and both it and the Corn normally run for cover after I remove them from whatever I need to clean. C'est la vie!

I expect it will get better as they grow especially since they live for >10-15 years...I have plenty of time to acclimate them.

Besides, I still have my three dogs to cuddle with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminart View Post
Well the first thing you should understand is that it's a snake. And snakes aren't anything like dogs. Your snake would be perfectly happy if it never saw you, or any other large predator again.

But, most of them adapt well to being handled. Like the others mentioned, the more you handle it, the more tame it will become. However, some snakes will become stressed and stop feeding with too much handling. I doubt you have that issue with a corn snake though.
Old 04-06-17, 08:07 AM   #7
Jim Smith

I think that you've gotten good information so far. Try handling your snake a couple of times a week. When you reach in to the enclosure, do so with confidence. Be calm and gentle and when holding your snake, support it completely while allowing it to slither through your hands. Keep moving your empty hand out to hold the snake and it crawls along. After a while, it will begin to realize that you are not a predator and will calm down. None of my snakes "like" to be held, but all of them remain calm and do not seem to mind it too much. I don't hold my snake often, just when I am doing a full cleaning or moving them or every once in a while so they stay used to me handling them.
Old 04-07-17, 12:04 AM   #8
Doug 351

Funny, my snake loves it, and REALLY loves to meet new people. (I don't think she knows she's a snake.)

I know it sounds funny, and you may wonder how I know, but just like tail rattling tells you they are are upset or scared, rapid tongue flicks coupled with relaxed muscles indicates anticipated excitement.
Old 04-07-17, 12:16 AM   #9
dannybgoode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug 351 View Post
Funny, my snake loves it, and REALLY loves to meet new people. (I don't think she knows she's a snake.)

I know it sounds funny, and you may wonder how I know, but just like tail rattling tells you they are are upset or scared, rapid tongue flicks coupled with relaxed muscles indicates anticipated excitement.
Except this isn't true. You don't know if your snake is excited or stressed to the point of trying to act calm.

I'm not saying it's one of the other but to say you know a snake is 'excited' to meet people is nonsense I'm afraid.

None of my current snakes seem bothered by handling whether by me or anyone else (even my ATB isn't defencesive) but I don't assume I know how they feel because I simply don't.

They may well be relaxed, they may be terrified. I therefore work on the assumption its the latter and keep handling to a minimum.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 04-07-17, 01:16 AM   #10
Doug 351

Well, since I got my snake as a baby, and have had her 15 years, I think I know her just a little bit better than you.

She has been handled by over 100 people, most kids.

And just maybe, I can actually read animals better than you. I catch and play with wild animals all the time.

And I should have added, just like a happy dog, she can't sit still....it's just she's not tense. I think if she was scared, she'd have bit someone in 15 years.

Let me tell you something else...I used to tease her a lot, one time, I pushed her too far, and she bit me, but didn't even break the skin. She was just telling me to quit! So, to think or say Oscar could be stressed into compliance is absurd.

I KNOW MY SNAKE!

My personal best: tying her in three knots....( she doesn't like that game....and now...I can barely tie her in one!)

I have to add one more thing...I have gone to local stores with Oscar draped over my neck. She is perfectly fine with that.

Last edited by Doug 351; 04-07-17 at 01:43 AM..
Login to remove ads
Old 04-07-17, 04:27 AM   #11
BillyCostume

Snakes don't get excited to meet new people. Your snake may not be defensive and tolerates handling really well, but that's the extent of it
Old 04-07-17, 04:29 AM   #12
BillyCostume

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybgoode View Post
Except this isn't true. You don't know if your snake is excited or stressed to the point of trying to act calm.

I'm not saying it's one of the other but to say you know a snake is 'excited' to meet people is nonsense I'm afraid.

None of my current snakes seem bothered by handling whether by me or anyone else (even my ATB isn't defencesive) but I don't assume I know how they feel because I simply don't.

They may well be relaxed, they may be terrified. I therefore work on the assumption its the latter and keep handling to a minimum.
I wish I could handle my ATB without getting bit haha. He's getting better but still a feisty bugger.
Old 04-07-17, 04:57 AM   #13
dannybgoode

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCostume View Post
I wish I could handle my ATB without getting bit haha. He's getting better but still a feisty bugger.
I get him out before he knows what's happening and once he's out, whilst always ready to strike, I don't give him a target.

There's plenty of time yet though for him to have a nibble

Now when I get the scrubs...
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 04-07-17, 05:36 AM   #14
eminart

I'm going to try my best not to comment again past the following:

The ultimate form of respect for an animal is to see it as it actually is - to understand how and why that animal behaves a certain way in respect to its OWN evolution, not that of a social primate. Projecting your own human characteristics upon it is dishonest and lazy, and not a way to truly respect and understand it.

Anthropomorphism is my pet peeve.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Old 04-07-17, 07:04 AM   #15
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

To each his own to believe what they want but beliefs are not always facts. I couldn't agree more with the fact that snakes are not social animals that enjoy being handled or meeting people. Some just tolerate it better than others.

@ OP- Hang in there. With time, patience, confident and consistent handling your snake should mellow out.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
handle help, handling, love hate relationship