border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > General Colubrid Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-16, 09:37 PM   #1
Bebecthulhu

Exclamation Rough Green Snake HELP!

I got two rough green snakes a week ago and they're my first snakes ever. Ive done as much research as I could on these guys and have them set up accordingly but i still have never owned a snake and cant really read their behaviors well. My larger rough has a been opening and closing his mouth and making tiny hiss/spit sounds. I figured he was just agitated from the drive home and he looks to be shedding (he's getting dull and some shed is coming up) i seperated him from my other rough because I noticed he has a brown scab under his left eye and a scab on his tail that im worried is going to end up getting amputated. I just wanted some opinions or advice on what i can do before i take him to the vet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snapchat-3145530829289212942.jpg (21.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Snapchat-3404758918294717452.jpg (25.2 KB, 71 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 06-04-16, 03:02 PM   #2
MDT

Re: Rough Green Snake HELP!

Where did you get these? Wild caught or through a dealer? Those scales in the second pic are not keeled (can't really tell in 1st pic), you sure it's a rough green? Maybe a better pic?

As far as the mouth thing, if this was a captive prior to you owning, it could be a respiratory infection. Wild caught roughies are pretty big bluffers. They hiss and mouth gape as threats. Not enough info. What are the dry/night temps, humidity, etc?

The tail thing doesn't look good. Go to the vet ASAP. If wild caught, just let them go back. The Opheodrys (rough and smooth greens) are not a great starter snakes.
Old 06-04-16, 07:07 PM   #3
FWK

It's a Rough Green Snake (Opheodrys aestivus), the keeling disappears halfway down down the tail and is not evident on the neck. This is a field collected animal one way or another, they are collected in large numbers and sold. The majority die of stress. No matter how well they are cared for once purchased, there has been too much damage done in capture and transport for the snake to recover from. I wouldn't worry about the wounds, they look like old battle scars. I agree with MDT that the behavior you describe sounds like the symptoms of a respiratory infection, not surprising in this case.Your best bet is to leave them alone for a while. Keep them in a room you don't use if possible, don't even enter the room other than to change their water every few days. Put the lights on a timer and leave them be. Just know the odds are not in your favor. Could you take pictures of the enclosure and give us details on husbandry? Temps, humidity, what kind of heating elements are you using, how are they controlled, etc. What are you planning on feeding them?
Old 06-05-16, 03:29 PM   #4
Bebecthulhu

I live in California so I cant exactly let them go, especially because theyre non-native and its reaching 95°F a little early this summer. I bought them from LLL Reptiles and they said rough green were better as display animals, which was fine by me because theyre so beautiful! As far as husbandry goes, im still really new at snake keeping so i hope what i have setup is alright for now.
I have him on cypress mulch with three cork tunnels and branches and vines
Hes been eating at least 5 large crickets every other night, i like to watch his take downs
I keep the lamps on for 8 hours a day
Day temp 82° under the basking bulb (i use a uvb bulb as well)
Night temp 75 -78°
Humidity ive been misting him twice a day and i have a small water dish as well since i read they lick dew drops
Hes alone right now in a 10 gallon tall tank

Its a pretty basic setup, im not sure its enough to serve as a 'rehab' tank though. My photos wont load for some reason:/ Thank you so much for the help by the way, i dont know if thats enough info still
Old 06-05-16, 04:25 PM   #5
FWK

If it's eating that well for you it may have a pretty good chance after all. I'm glad you can appreciate it as a display animal and not a lap pet, it can be really hard to make people understand that concept sometimes. It sounds like you have a pretty solid grasp of the basics. I would bump up the hot spot a few degrees if you can. Upload more pictures when you can, we love seeing pictures of snakes and their enclosures. Welcome to the hobby, and to the forum.
Old 06-05-16, 05:29 PM   #6
MDT

The Cali thing does change the convo a bit
You're right in that they are beautiful. Getting captive ones to feed can be a real challenge, so nice job in that! FWK gives solid advice, a little increase in temps until you see the vet is not a bad thing.
Old 06-09-16, 09:06 AM   #7
macandchz

could the poor thing have been run over? that's what it looks like. hope it makes it.
Closed Thread

Tags
eye injury, rough green snake, tail injury