border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > General Python Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-18, 09:08 PM   #1
Markish_00

Getting a Ball python in september and in need of in-depth info about enclosure

First of all Hi everyone im new to the forum.

As written above i will eventually, after I get all I need for the enclosure and food for the animal, get a ball python. A normal one. I'm planning to get it in an expo near where I live, I'm Italian (specifying for climate overall info. I live in Parma, around Bologna. Pretty humid here)
-First question
Can I put the snake in a 70×30×30h cm (20gal) enclosure even if I get it as a baby? If I provide lots of small spaces inside is it going to be ok?
-Second question
How big should a heat-mat be in this enclosure?
(Planning to take a glass aquarium with slidable top)
-Third question
Do I need light bulbs? Infrared or just led? Can the light of my room be enough?

For now it's enough, I will get more question as we go, I just need multiple people to tell me different opinions, sorry if this thread will keep going for a while but I really need this to make sure lil ball python will be in great shape when I get him.(gonna be a male)
Thanks.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-05-18, 10:42 AM   #2
Leah844

Re: Getting a Ball python in september and in need of in-depth info about enclosure

Yes a 20 gallon is fine for a young ball python, the heat may size should probably be about 12x8 inches. The light from your room should be enough. I have a dome with a ceramic heat emitter for some extra heat, by no lights are needed
Old 07-05-18, 01:59 PM   #3
craigafrechette

Re: Getting a Ball python in september and in need of in-depth info about enclosure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markish_00 View Post
First of all Hi everyone im new to the forum.

As written above i will eventually, after I get all I need for the enclosure and food for the animal, get a ball python. A normal one. I'm planning to get it in an expo near where I live, I'm Italian (specifying for climate overall info. I live in Parma, around Bologna. Pretty humid here)
-First question
Can I put the snake in a 70×30×30h cm (20gal) enclosure even if I get it as a baby? If I provide lots of small spaces inside is it going to be ok?
-Second question
How big should a heat-mat be in this enclosure?
(Planning to take a glass aquarium with slidable top)
-Third question
Do I need light bulbs? Infrared or just led? Can the light of my room be enough?

For now it's enough, I will get more question as we go, I just need multiple people to tell me different opinions, sorry if this thread will keep going for a while but I really need this to make sure lil ball python will be in great shape when I get him.(gonna be a male)
Thanks.
Welcome to the forum.

- Yes, a 20 gallon will probably work for a juvenile, for a while. As long as proper husbandry is met.

- The heat mat should cover about 1/3 of the floor space of the enclosure.

- You do not need any additional light, the light in the room is typically enough. However, unless the ambient temps in the room are around 84 degrees Fahrenheit you will need an additional heat source. Your heat mat is there solely to provide a hot spot and not for ambient temps. In this case you will need an additional heat source, whether you use a heat lamp with bulbs or a Ceramic Heat Emitter(CHE) or you use a Radiant Heat Panel (RHP) is up to you.
- VERY IMPORTANT: ALL HEAT SOURCES SHOULD BE REGULATED BY A THERMOSTAT to prevent dangerous heat spikes which can cause serious burns or worse to your snake.
Closed Thread

Tags
aquarium, ball python, bp general questions, first enclosure, first snake