border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Heterodon

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-21, 06:27 PM   #1
Shadkill

Question Hognose scale issues?

ok, so, I have a western hognose male, about a foot in length, and 22g (yes, I know that's underweight, Lil bugger didn't wanna eat cause he had other issues going on when I got him, working on that with vet assistance)

he shed a few days ago. during that time I was checking his humidity box, misting the moss if it needed, ect. on the day he shed, I was doing such tasks and picked him up to scoot him out the way so I could spot clean.

He started shedding in my hand, so of course, being a first-time snake owner, and ecstatic to watch him shed, I very very gently put a thumb and forefinger on each side of his body, and with the littlest amount of pressure, just held his shed in place while he slithered out.

He didn't seem stressed, or worried, and I was extremely gentle, literally just holding the skin and letting him slither out on his own.

a few days later, I noticed that the whole of his belly scales are like, sorta wrinkly/have small lines going horizontally across them that look like wrinkles.

I'm worried its a issue like scale rott, of course, will be taking him to the vet asap (I need to anyway for a check-up on his progress) but I'm wondering if I'm just freaking out about nothing?

like I freaked out when he had a smol damaged scale - which came off with his shed (also asked the vet about it, she said it would be fine, he musta banged it or somethin)

and I guess I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue, and has any advice to keep him comfortable till I can get him to the vet.

I'll attach pictures if I can get them, god knows snakes are wiggly butts.

Edit: He shed completely fine, and has for the three shed cycles I've had him for. Absolutely no problems with stuck shed or eyecaps (touch wood), always completely perfect sheds

Last edited by Shadkill; 06-23-21 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: added a wee bit about his sheds
Login to remove ads