sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Thamnophis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-16, 05:58 PM   #1
Ambaryerno

Newcomer Looking For Advice

Hello!

I live in a small apartment, and because my current space and schedule make a cat, dog, or ferrets impractical, have recently been considering getting a snake again. I've had a snake before (ribbon snake), but it's been quite a while and while I'm thinking about it I wanted to get some advice.

First of all, the type of snake I'd be looking at would be a garter, particularly a California Red-sided. I'd really like to do something special for the enclosure, and was recently looking at an article on NEHERP about planted terrariums.

What I'd be looking to do was build something simulating the bank of a stream or creek. I was thinking of using a 55gal that was 2/3 terrestrial, 1/3 water, and I was of two minds of how to arrange it: The first would be to put the water on one end, with the rest being continuous land. Alternately, I was considering having the water roughly in the middle, with land on either side so I could have the warm area on one side of the water, and the cool area on the other. Regardless of which approach I take, I want to give the water a mild current to simulate the stream or creek (there would also be a filter to keep the water clean).

I'd like to make it a planted vivarium with microfauna (springtails, isopods, etc.) to help maintain the enclosure and clean up waste. Really, the idea is to reproduce (within limits and reason) the snake's natural environment, as some of the reading I've done on the subject suggests that a naturalistic environment has a number of health and behavioral benefits for the snake.

The ribbon I had when I was younger had a pretty simple setup. He had his water bowl, a driftwood tree he could climb on and hide under, and a heat rock, so I've never done something of this complexity before. I've got an idea of some of the basics from the NEHERP article but I'm looking for advice that would apply specifically to keeping a garter snake. I'd particularly be looking for advice on how to create the stream/creek in a manner that wouldn't saturate the substrate.

Mice would probably be the main food source since that seems to be how most breeders raise their snakes, but I'd like to periodically offer some variety for engagement. One thing I'd love to be able to do is get a breeding population of rosy reds or another appropriate type of fish in the water part of the enclosure (note that they would be quarantined in a separate tank to weed out illness and parasites before actually being added to the habitat) both to liven it up that end of the tank, and to offer the snake a bit of variety in its diet between mice. At first I considered a crayfish or two for population control and to help keep the water clean, however I was concerned how this would affect the snake since wild garters will eat crayfish, and the claws could be a potential hazard.

Also, has anyone heard of someone successfully captive-breeding frogs as a safe source of snake chow? Some of the reading I've done as preparation for this has suggested that frogs would be the ideal over mice since that's the garter's main prey, if it weren't for the risk of parasites in wild-caught frogs. Captive-bred frogs would solve that problem.

So yeah, this is what I've been thinking about setting up, and could really use some advice on what would work, what wouldn't, and particularly how to go about construction and choice of plants.

Thanks in advance, and any guidance would be much appreciated!
Login to remove ads
Old 10-03-16, 03:56 PM   #2
Ambaryerno

Re: Newcomer Looking For Advice

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 10-03-16, 04:24 PM   #3
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Wow. Quite the undertaking. Interesting and very cool idea though.

Here are my thoughts, ( I haven't done a tank remotely close to this in a decade so take my thoughts with a grain of salt)

1. For the water, if you don't want to saturate the substrate then build in dividers. Plenty of people glue in plexiglass or real glass dividers. Just make them a few inches tall and voila, built in water area with the ability to keep your substrate dry.

2. Most filters will give off a current as they pump the water back out so you should be fine. Fluval has some nice ones for this.

3. Prey items - for a garter, you'd be fine with a variety of prey items like earthworms, mice and fish.

4. Frogs are not the easiest to breed so most people stay away from it but if you can do it it would be fine. I would recommend firebelly toads.

5. You can also look into rough or smooth green snakes. Insectivores, great colour and great display animals.
Old 10-03-16, 04:37 PM   #4
Ambaryerno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
Wow. Quite the undertaking. Interesting and very cool idea though.

Here are my thoughts, ( I haven't done a tank remotely close to this in a decade so take my thoughts with a grain of salt)

1. For the water, if you don't want to saturate the substrate then build in dividers. Plenty of people glue in plexiglass or real glass dividers. Just make them a few inches tall and voila, built in water area with the ability to keep your substrate dry.

2. Most filters will give off a current as they pump the water back out so you should be fine. Fluval has some nice ones for this.

3. Prey items - for a garter, you'd be fine with a variety of prey items like earthworms, mice and fish.

4. Frogs are not the easiest to breed so most people stay away from it but if you can do it it would be fine. I would recommend firebelly toads.

5. You can also look into rough or smooth green snakes. Insectivores, great colour and great display animals.
1. I'd thought about putting a divider in, maybe at a slight angle to help give it a sloped bank, so sounds like my idea there was on the right track. The downside I can think of is that the divider would likely be visible where it meets the edge of the tank.

2) I'm guessing the best way to do it would be to run the tubing under the substrate at the bottom of the tank, with the collector at the front, and the powerhead at the back.

3) Any thoughts about setting up a breeding population of minnows in-situ? What about the idea of using a crayfish or two to help keep whatever the snake doesn't eat itself from overpopulating the tank? My concern is the snake trying to eat THEM, as well, and potential injuries from the claws.

4) Aren't firebelly toads toxic?
Old 10-03-16, 05:09 PM   #5
bigsnakegirl785

I don't know anything about bioactive myself, but I would do dividers as Aaron said for the water area.

I would not have the fish living inside the garter's tank, as there would not be enough water to reasonably accommodate them while keeping it appropriate for the garter. Just throw a few in there during feeding time, but keep them in their own dedicated tank if you breed them.

Rosy reds are not an appropriate fish to feed garters, so I'd look into another fish. Guppies are thiaminase-free, and breed readily, so those may be a good option.

For the filter I would make sure however you set it up it causes the least disturbance to the snake. A very sight current in the water is fine, but I would avoid constant vibrations throughout the tank. So make sure if you run tubing under the substrate it doesn't vibrate when you grip it. Vibrations can seriously stress snakes out.

I believe firebelly toads are toxic, yes. Not all garters are equipped to deal with it.

As far as feeding, rodents are a prevalent diet in captivity but not the most appropriate. If your snake will let you, I'd feed a mixture of earthworms (no red wrigglers), fish, and the occasional rodent. As long as you feed a rodent every second or third feeding, you shouldn't need to add any supplements to its diet.
Old 10-03-16, 09:37 PM   #6
JellyBean

Wow! All I have to add is, "pictures please"! (Once it's done, of course)
Good luck with this. You must have a decent size apartment
Old 10-04-16, 12:33 AM   #7
toddnbecka

There's a group on facebook dedicated to bioactive setups for various reptiles and amphibians. I'd recommend check them out for helpful ideas, but that sort of setup should be great for a garter snake.
As for the water, it would be much easier to use a large container. Much easier to take out and clean when necessary. You're not really going to be able to keep a breedig population of fish in a snake's enclosure, they'll simply get eaten faster than they can reproduce and grow out.
I've never heard of anyone breeding frogs for feeders, but it should certainly be possible. The pacman frogs seem to breed easily enough and produce large numbers of offspring, I see plenty of those available on reptile and aquarium groups.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 10-04-16, 07:36 AM   #8
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
2) I'm guessing the best way to do it would be to run the tubing under the substrate at the bottom of the tank, with the collector at the front, and the powerhead at the back.
There's no tubing with a cannister filter. Try that.

Quote:
3) Any thoughts about setting up a breeding population of minnows in-situ? What about the idea of using a crayfish or two to help keep whatever the snake doesn't eat itself from overpopulating the tank? My concern is the snake trying to eat THEM, as well, and potential injuries from the claws.
It's possible. In the size of enclosure you are thinking about, less likely to occur. You'd need more water space. My friend has a turtle tub and it's mostly water and his guppies breed in there. He has natural plants and the turtles just weren't really fast enough to catch them so the population exploded.

4) Aren't firebelly toads toxic?[/QUOTE] I guess so. I did not know. I only know firebelly toads are easy to keep and breed.
Old 10-04-16, 09:21 AM   #9
Ambaryerno

How much water space do you suspect would be necessary for it to work? I'm pretty limited in how much space I have available so can't go too big on the enclosure. And of course cost is also a factor. I could MAYBE swing a 75 gallon, though that wouldn't increase the amount of water by very much.

I suppose making the enclosure myself could be an alternative for reducing cost, but that's a bit out of my area of expertise.
Old 10-04-16, 10:36 AM   #10
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
How much water space do you suspect would be necessary for it to work? I'm pretty limited in how much space I have available so can't go too big on the enclosure. And of course cost is also a factor. I could MAYBE swing a 75 gallon, though that wouldn't increase the amount of water by very much.

I suppose making the enclosure myself could be an alternative for reducing cost, but that's a bit out of my area of expertise.
Personally, I'd suggest guppies and I wouldn't go less than 20 gallons.

I guess you could make the divider taller to the top of the enclosure and then use branches,plants to give the snake the ability to get up there. Essentially a fish tank within a terrarium.

I know you really want a water feature but they aren't easy to design in a stock tank while being practical. Virtually all water features are minimal, for display purposes only or custom made enclosures. For use with an animal it becomes a huge undertaking.
Login to remove ads
Old 10-04-16, 05:41 PM   #11
Ambaryerno

Heh, never said I was one to take the easy way out. ;-)

Where do you see being the main bottleneck? Water depth or surface area? Was thinking I could squeeze in more water by making a custom tank where the part containing the water feature would actually be deeper than the floor of the rest of the tank.

Maybe use a sheet of clear acrylic in front, with another material for the sides, back, and bottom. I'd kinda have to draw what I'm thinking, tho.
Old 10-04-16, 06:44 PM   #12
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Heh, never said I was one to take the easy way out. ;-)

Where do you see being the main bottleneck? Water depth or surface area? Was thinking I could squeeze in more water by making a custom tank where the part containing the water feature would actually be deeper than the floor of the rest of the tank.

Maybe use a sheet of clear acrylic in front, with another material for the sides, back, and bottom. I'd kinda have to draw what I'm thinking, tho.
You have to make sure you have adequate total volume, it's not just depth or surface area. Not enough water, and the fish will cause the ammonia level to rise to dangerous levels. A filter and conditioners can only do so much.

If you make the fish's tank below the snake's tank, make sure that it's easy for the snake to get in and out of, and not too tiring to navigate. I'm not sure how deep garters are willing to dive, so if the fish are the snake's only source of food, if you make it too deep they may not be able to catch enough fish (assuming they don't dive more than a few inches to a foot). Vary the diet and that should fix that problem, if they will dive all the way to the bottom then it doesn't matter so much. I would still vary the diet, though, variety for these guys are best.

The snake drowning is the main worry I see here, since you'll have to make the pool area much taller than it is wide to provide the breeding fish adequate water volume without taking up too much of the snake's floor space.

A couple fish in the water just long enough to eat won't pose these problems, but you sure do have your work cut out for you trying to actually breed them inside the snake's enclosure. lol
Old 10-04-16, 07:46 PM   #13
Ambaryerno

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
You have to make sure you have adequate total volume, it's not just depth or surface area. Not enough water, and the fish will cause the ammonia level to rise to dangerous levels. A filter and conditioners can only do so much.
Yeah, I know. Mainly trying to establish which would be the better approach: Go for a larger footprint and shallower water, or make the water deeper. If I make something myself I've got more flexibility. Based on Aaron's post I'd want to be able to allow for at least 20 gallons of water. With a 75 gallon footprint I could do it with a water area measuring some combination of 16 x 18 x 18. Maybe 18" long, 18" wide, and 16" deep. Start with the 21" height of a 75 gallon, allow 12" between the top of the tank and the surface of the water and I'd need to extend the water area about 7" below the bottom. So make a custom tank with a total height of 30". Use a false bottom for the "land" side (supported by, say, PVC tubing supporting the actual bottom) to make up the difference in height.

I really need to sketch this out...

Quote:
If you make the fish's tank below the snake's tank, make sure that it's easy for the snake to get in and out of, and not too tiring to navigate. I'm not sure how deep garters are willing to dive, so if the fish are the snake's only source of food, if you make it too deep they may not be able to catch enough fish (assuming they don't dive more than a few inches to a foot). Vary the diet and that should fix that problem, if they will dive all the way to the bottom then it doesn't matter so much. I would still vary the diet, though, variety for these guys are best.
The idea would be to simulate the bank of a creek or stream, so the "shoreline" would slope down into the water. Maybe a combination of gravel and larger stones to shape it. That should make it accessible for the snake to get in and out for feeding and soaking.

And I do already intend to vary the diet. Say a mouse once a week or every other week (or better yet frogs if I can find a way to provide them), supplemented by fish, or maybe include some nightcrawlers as part of the microfauna.

Quote:
The snake drowning is the main worry I see here, since you'll have to make the pool area much taller than it is wide to provide the breeding fish adequate water volume without taking up too much of the snake's floor space.
The thought I'd had was to put a driftwood branch or something in the water both for the snake to use as a perch if it goes into the water to hunt or soak, while doubling as cover for the fish.

Last edited by Ambaryerno; 10-04-16 at 07:57 PM..
Old 10-05-16, 01:36 AM   #14
bigsnakegirl785

You definitely want some depth, so if the 16" is all water, that should be sufficient I'd assume. If you add the shoreline, I assume that the shoreline will be divided from the main bedding by the dividers? The shoreline is definitely a good idea, though, just make sure it doesn't take up too much of the fishs' water volume.

I also wouldn't put the driftwood directly in the water, but if you could find a way to stretch it just above the water and clean out debris as needed, that should work as well. (And possibly water proof the side facing the water so it doesn't mold.)
Old 10-05-16, 08:02 AM   #15
chairman

I've seen a couple of these on aquatics forums. They almost universally involve using pvc pipe (disguised to look natural) to support a plastic grid (like used for 2'x4' fluorescent lights) so the water area can be the whole bottom. Filtration is either external cannisters with overflows or internal cannisters. They usually use foam/concrete to cover the plastic grid and back wall to create a natural looking background. Pothos plants can go on the ground area but dip into the water, they suck a lot of ammonia out of the water. Floating plants like hyacinths also help with bioloads while giving a snake something sturdy to rest on while its in the water. The water volume and hyacinth roots make guppy breeding likely to be successful. The biggest obstacles will be sealing the lid and having a good strategy for weekly or twice weekly water changes, snake poop that ends up in the water will overwhelm the filtration.

You can also get away with adding in a separator and filling the bottom of the entire land area with hyrdo balls (special clay balls). Then you build you land above that. It does reduce water volume and swimming area but can help harbor beneficial bacteria for filtration. I'd still add hyacinths and/or pothos.

Some custom aquaria sites do sell kits for this kind of thing.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread