sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-12, 06:34 AM   #1
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Psycho Argentine Boa

I went to make another payment on GI Jane yesterday and was offered the chance to handle an Argentine Boa. Keep in mind this friend of mine has two of these, one larger very tame Argy and a younger, smaller, very tempermental psycho. She pulled her out of her tub and placed her in my arms. I must tell you, the excitement and adrenaline flow was unreal because at the same time of realizing this potential in her, I was also very calm and she was unusually calm as well. I was told that this snake would turn on you and start striking for no apparant reason, even after 20 minutes of handling. Well, it took about that long. Even though this snake was in the typical "S" Pattern most of the time. she was also curious. She would go up to the side of my face and flick her tongue on my cheek and slither around on my shoulders. Then when her time was "up", she opened her mouth up wide showing her teeth, followed by a hiss, I knew right then she wanted to go back in. I grabbed her just behind her head to prevent her from any sudden strikes and gave her back to my friend and she put her back in her tub. I never will forget the way that looked with her mouth wide open like that. It was an image of one of the creatures in the "Alien" movies, if you can imagine that.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-17-12, 09:45 AM   #2
SSSSnakes

Re: Psycho Argentine Boa

It must be the season for aggressive Argentine Boas. I have a person who will be driving over 100 miles to surrender a Argentine Boa to me. He can no longer handle the snake and is scared of it. I love aggressive snakes and can't wait to get it.
Old 06-17-12, 10:12 AM   #3
BarelyBreathing
Varanus Queen

My Argentine was super aggressive. I miss him very much.
Old 06-17-12, 06:34 PM   #4
KSTAR

mine wasnt he was actually pretty great but i did do alot of handling
1.0 Albino Purple Sunfire , 1.0 Purple Motley Tiger 0.1 Motley Het.Purple , 0.1 Motley Golden Child Het Purple , 0.1 Sunfire Het Purple , 1.0 Blonde tiger 1.0 Phantom Tiger 0.1 Platinum HOGS 0.1 Platinum Goldenchild HOGS
Old 06-17-12, 06:42 PM   #5
BarelyBreathing
Varanus Queen

Mine was a rescue. I don't think he was handled frequently at all before we got him.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-17-12, 07:32 PM   #6
UwabamiReptiles
Abracadabra Holmes

Besides some of the arboreal boas, an argentine would be the only other one I would consider getting. They are hands down the prettiest boa IMO.
Old 06-17-12, 10:43 PM   #7
jaleely
Member of the family

SSSSnakes don't forget to post pics when you get it!
BB what happened to yours? Was it older?
exwizard, you should post some update pics on GI Jane!

: )
27 snakes (7 sand boas, 4 hognose, 5 ball pythons, 1 bolivian boa, 2 dumeril's boas, 2 carpet pythons, 5 garters, 1 corn snake), 1 cave spider, 9 tarantulas, 1 tokay gecko, 2 dogs, 2 frogs, emperor scorpions 1,000 dubia roaches, & tons of fish.
Old 06-17-12, 11:21 PM   #8
BarelyBreathing
Varanus Queen

Yes, he was older. He passed away in the beginning of the year.
Old 06-18-12, 08:14 AM   #9
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwizard View Post
... Then when her time was "up", she opened her mouth up wide showing her teeth, followed by a hiss, I knew right then she wanted to go back in. I grabbed her just behind her head to prevent her from any sudden strikes....
I'm not trying to be a jerk but that's really unfair for the snake. When you're mad or upset let's grab you by the back of the head to control you.

The snake didn't choose to be handled so I don't see why the restraint is necessary. Just don't do it if you don't want to be bit.

I'm posting this because I don't want this as a common practice. I also don't want common practice to be to allow a "psycho" snake close to anyone's face for whatever reason. That's just foolish.
Old 06-18-12, 09:30 AM   #10
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
I'm not trying to be a jerk but that's really unfair for the snake. When you're mad or upset let's grab you by the back of the head to control you.

The snake didn't choose to be handled so I don't see why the restraint is necessary. Just don't do it if you don't want to be bit.

I'm posting this because I don't want this as a common practice. I also don't want common practice to be to allow a "psycho" snake close to anyone's face for whatever reason. That's just foolish.
I'm not surprised by your reply. I have no plans on ever handling this snake again so after the fact, your unsolicited advice is moot.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-26-12, 09:07 AM   #11
lumpbump

Lol you guys are funny. I was handling a friends carpet python the other day. Adult so maybe 5 foot and about 4 pounds and she was crawling around my shoulders and my face and hissed straight into my ear! I was like hmm you need to be handled more often and put her back before she got even more pissed.
Old 06-26-12, 09:11 AM   #12
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

People need to learn the difference between Aggressive and Defensive behavior.
There are very few aggressive snakes in this world, and they tend to all be in the cape cobra and mamba family (they will actively chase you down if you annoy them)
I've never personally met an aggressive boa, colubrid or python, although i have met tons of defensive ones.
Old 06-26-12, 04:39 PM   #13
lumpbump

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanbakir View Post
People need to learn the difference between Aggressive and Defensive behavior.
There are very few aggressive snakes in this world, and they tend to all be in the cape cobra and mamba family (they will actively chase you down if you annoy them)
I've never personally met an aggressive boa, colubrid or python, although i have met tons of defensive ones.

LoL yea I agree but you have to accept the fact that some people lack the power of observation and instead handle their snakes and purposely/inadvertently cause defensive behavior for their own amusement.

My buddy has a cape cobra and its like 7 foot and full of attitude. Actually his collection consists mostly of HOTs and just one boa, and one retic. Its crazy how his cobras hood up and shoot first then ask questions later...
Old 06-26-12, 05:39 PM   #14
MrBD1980

Man if you care so little about others views and opinions then why post? So we can be enthraled by your story....so we can mutely appreciate your experience of doing something we are uncomfortable with?

Really, either engage in dialogue or don't post.....

0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa, 0.3 cats, 1.0 Lionhead Rabbit, 0.1 hamster
Old 06-26-12, 06:42 PM   #15
CK SandBoas
queen of the Chicken Dance

Send a message via Yahoo to CK SandBoas

I truly do not understand why anyone would allow any snake near their face, be it a Kenyan Sand Boa, or a Larger Constrictor. I hope that the new members that see this do not think it's okay to let any snake near their face, because nothing happened to you when you did it.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread