border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Varanid

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-13, 12:19 PM   #1
batmanjosh5000

How do i breed nightcrawlers.

Hi, i have a 6 month old savannah monitor, and i started feeding him nightcrawlers. I thought it would be best to start breeding them, but i was wondering how to.

Also i'm going to get them from a bait shop so which kind do i get (candaian or african).

Thanks!
Login to remove ads
Old 09-15-13, 12:44 PM   #2
formica

Re: How do i breed nightcrawlers.

do you have a compost heap/bin? just chuck a load in, and off you go - will take a while to build up a big population

that said, they are easy enough to catch if you have a lawn, just need a sprinkler/watering can and a bit of patience, spray/sprinkle the lawn at night, and wait for a few minutes, u'll see them pop up, pull them out firmly but slowly, or they will break (obviously dont do this if u use pest/herbicides of any kind)
Old 09-15-13, 01:33 PM   #3
franks

You can mix a little bit of lettuce and eggshells etc into 5 gallon buckets with lids with topsoil. Chuck the worms in.
Old 09-15-13, 01:37 PM   #4
infernalis

From what I understand, Breeding the Canadian night crawlers is a challenge at best.

I catch mine in the yard.

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 09-18-13, 12:32 AM   #5
batmanjosh5000

Well thanks for the information, but my lawn has chemical stuff all over it so I can't just catch mine. But maybe there is a place nearby I could find some, do you what kind of area they are generally in?
Login to remove ads
Old 09-18-13, 12:41 AM   #6
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
From what I understand, Breeding the Canadian night crawlers is a challenge at best.

I catch mine in the yard.
This.

Pretty much all of the major worm companies are selling wild caught crawlers as they are not profitable to breed.
Old 09-18-13, 04:59 AM   #7
infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmanjosh5000 View Post
Well thanks for the information, but my lawn has chemical stuff all over it so I can't just catch mine. But maybe there is a place nearby I could find some, do you what kind of area they are generally in?
Mowed parks, almost any mowed lawn of meadow. People seldom deny permission if you ask first so they don't look out a window and see your flashlight and get the wrong idea.

The wonderful part about lawns and worms, Rain washes the grass and sod. (That's why we concern ourselves with the aquifers below) so unless the grass was treated yesterday, you will see worms, and if the worms are doing OK, I sincerely doubt that feeding them to your lizard will hurt a thing.

Worms are extremely sensitive to chemicals, so gather up those worms... If the juice on the lawn was that bad, they wouldn't even be there to catch.

During the winter, I just buy the bait shop night crawlers.

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 09-18-13, 07:32 AM   #8
drumcrush

I've been wanting to breed them as well, I don't have much Money too keep buying them, so I just plan on breeding them
Old 09-18-13, 09:23 AM   #9
Terranaut
Morelia Enjoyus Maximus

My brother in law is in to fishing and has a worm farm in a cooler in the back yard all summer. You can buy a substrate made for it. He just tosses a few dozen in during late spring and his kids fish all summer with them. He throws in kitchen waste as needed and ensures no moldy stuff lying around. He said it is stupid easy to do. He gets his starters from his yard so they would be Canadian night crawlers for sure.
Old 09-18-13, 09:47 AM   #10
drumcrush

Quote:
Mowed parks, almost any mowed lawn of meadow. People seldom deny permission if you ask first so they don't look out a window and see your flashlight and get the wrong idea.

The wonderful part about lawns and worms, Rain washes the grass and sod. (That's why we concern ourselves with the aquifers below) so unless the grass was treated yesterday, you will see worms, and if the worms are doing OK, I sincerely doubt that feeding them to your lizard will hurt a thing.

Worms are extremely sensitive to chemicals, so gather up those worms... If the juice on the lawn was that bad, they wouldn't even be there to catch.

Would it be okay if I dug up worms from my yard then? It's treated but hasn't been sprayed for a couple months.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-18-13, 01:35 PM   #11
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
My brother in law is in to fishing and has a worm farm in a cooler in the back yard all summer. You can buy a substrate made for it. He just tosses a few dozen in during late spring and his kids fish all summer with them. He throws in kitchen waste as needed and ensures no moldy stuff lying around. He said it is stupid easy to do. He gets his starters from his yard so they would be Canadian night crawlers for sure.
Idk, I'm have always heard crawlers were extremely hard to get to breed. Could they have been theses? Reptiles Canada - Test Article 1
Old 09-18-13, 02:41 PM   #12
Terranaut
Morelia Enjoyus Maximus

I don't know much about worms to be honest. I have used his worms when up at their place in Sault St Marie. They are huge fat worms.
Old 09-19-13, 02:31 PM   #13
wrecker45

Put some black soil in a container. Keep it moist. Throw in some worms. Feed them used coffee grounds. You can get them from a coffee shop. Coffee grounds will make them grow faster and larger.
1.Corn snake. 1.Mexican milk snake. 2.California king snakes. 2. Western hognose snakes. 1. Pastel checker garter. 1. Checker garter. 1.Columbian red tail boa. 1. Ball python. 1. Smooth green snake. 1. Five lined skink. 1. Grey tree frog. 1. Chinese water dragon. 3 Bearded Dragons. 2 Leapard Geckos. 1. Black cat. and Lucy my border collie/lab.
Old 09-29-13, 03:21 PM   #14
batmanjosh5000

Quote:

Well thanks! Ill see if i can get them from my lawn then.

And to everybody else Thanks for the info on where to get them and breeding!
Old 09-29-13, 03:23 PM   #15
batmanjosh5000

Sorry for the late response i was on vacation!
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
6 month old, african, breed, canadian, night crawlers