border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-15, 04:25 PM   #1
Dragonborn

Hognose, Rat Snake, Ball Python, or Corn Snake?

Hello everyone! I am new to the snake trade! I have recently gotten enough money to afford a snake of my own, but the trouble is, which one should I get? I've managed to narrow it down to four different snakes, but I'm having some trouble deciding between them.

It would be helpful if I could get some replies before Thursday. Why? Well, a friend of mine is getting rid of a 55 gal tank, and he needs to know if I can take it or not. That's another thing I'm curious about. Is it worth the trouble to get a 55 gal fish tank and pay money to fit the escape proof lid on it? Just curious

I've read up on each individual species, and from careful examination, I've come to the conclusion that only a Rat Snake would fit into that tank, since it seem a little too big for a Corn and a Ball, and a Hog would probably be stressed the max out in something that big. I do realize that with the proper decorations and accessories, the tank could become a Ball/Corn's best friend, but I'm afraid a tank that big would stress out a little Hoggy. Especially if I get him as a baby.

I'm also wondering if a baby Ball would be healthy in a 5 gallon for a few months. I've read that Corns and Hogs would do well in a 5 gallon, but nowhere have I read that Balls would be okay in their for 6 to 4 months.

FWI, this tank I have Is a fish tank, so I would need to fit a mesh top on it as well.

Now for what I want in a snake. I want an energetic snake that is fun to be around, and doesn't mind being handled every other day to once or twice a week. I am open to other snake suggestions as well, and lizard suggestions are welcome, too!

My tank sizes are 55 and 5. The simple question is: Which snake has a friendly personality, is energetic(As much as snakes can be, anyway), and can live in 5 gallon as a baby, 55 gallon as an adult.

Please note I am open to suggestions, and no, I am not the kind of person who won't buy a snake just because it doesn't fit in the cage I have. I am just trying to be resourceful with what I have. Plus, I couldn't just pass up a 55 gallon. But if most of you suggest Hoggies I will reply to my friend that I don't need the tank and buy a 10/15/20 gal instead.

Also, the tank is flatter than it is tall, so I'm wondering if it would be okay for a Black Rat snake, which is aboreal.

Anyway, sorry for all the words, I got carried away XD
Login to remove ads
Old 03-25-15, 01:30 AM   #2
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness
Re: Hognose, Rat Snake, Ball Python, or Corn Snake?

I'd say pass up the 55 either way. The 5 would be perfect for a baby hog, but any of the others I'd suggest a 10g minimum for babies. And for a BP I'd suggest a tub over a tank. I can't speak on corns or rats and just got my own ball and hoggie. So my opinion is based off of my own research and what I've read in the site.

My 1st snake was a kingsnake and she's been a great lady to deal with as a newbie snake owner. Great activity level, active, but easily handled.

Hope this helps. =)

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 03-25-15, 03:49 AM   #3
Sylphie

Hmm I don't have a hognose so I can't speak a lot about them... but I have/was having a ball, corn and a russian rat, so let's go!

Can you tell us an exact dimensions of that 55 gal? You know, sometimes they can be really unusual.

In standard 55gal (48 x 13 x 21) you can easily get corn, ball and a rat (most of them, some are rather biiiig). I was keeping my yearling corn snake in something similiar and he was fine, exploring all the time But it definitely will be too big for a hognose, even if the snake maybe will be not stressed... you just will get hard time to find him in it.

As a personalities goes... as always I must remind you that really a lot of balls have a problems with eating, and they can be a troublesome kid because of this. They are rather "lazy" too, sleeping most of the time. Handling is fine, they are rather slow and prefer to just hang than trying to escape from your hands.

Corns are the most typical "first snake", they'll eat everything, are more active than balls, but as far as handling goes they are easy to manipulate (but they rather prefer to wander than sit on your lap).

And rats... you know there is soo many species, all of them different, some are troublesome with eating, some are rather snippy and agressive... but some are also veeery inquisitive and a joy to watch, and don't mind handling, and will feed everything you give them.

But you know every rule has it's exceptions, my ball was inquisitive and sweet as a pie (but has a realy big trobules with eating!), and my russian rat is rather "look at me but don't touch" type
Old 03-25-15, 07:14 AM   #4
Dragonborn

Thanks for the posts! Yea, I know Ball's can be picky little buggers, which is why I would ask if they eat regularly and what they eat before I get one. Some of the guys I've seen are pretty active and so cute!

Also, does anyone have any idea how much money it would cost to get an escape-proof lid for a 55 gallon?

And yes +Sylphie, those are the dimensions. :P

The reason I'm having such a hard time deciding is because I work with snakes on a weekly basis. From what I've seen of the snakes at my facility, they all very in personality. One corn is as lazy as a Ball, while the other two are all over the place. The rat snakes that I work with are very active, but the other ones aren't very much XD I haven't seen much of the hoggy there, but I've read they're petty active snakes.

Also, the rat I'm considering getting is a black rat.

So far, I'm leaning away from a Ball, since I want something active. But my main question here is: Would it be cheaper to convert a fish tank, or to just buy a terrarium?
Old 03-25-15, 10:02 AM   #5
Minkness
Forum Moderator

The fish tank question is a long argued one. Some will say no, some will say yes.

My answer is that it's fine so long as you fix it up a bit. Sounds like you'll be getting a better lid son that's good. Other than that, so long as you can maintain heat and humidity and do your best to prevent escape, you should be good. =)

Login to remove ads
Old 03-25-15, 10:50 AM   #6
Jim Smith

One other consideration you have to keep in mind is that some states have laws preventing the ownership of some species of snakes. For example in Georgia, you can not legally keep a Corn Snake because they are indigenous to the state. Check with your local authorities to make sure whichever species you want to buy is okay to keep in your state. Just a thought...
Old 03-25-15, 11:29 AM   #7
Dragonborn

Thanks Jim. I didn't even think of that :P

What I'll probably do is this: A repticon is coming up in April, I'm going to spend some time their and check out all the snakes I listed. I will probably just take the 55 gal to be safe, and discard it if I decide to get a hoggy.

Unfortunately, I can't actually get a snake at the con, since I'm moving in about a month and a half. I'll probably just have to get the phone numbers of some of the breeders there. Or I'll just get a healthy one from the pet store. I consider myself pretty good at pointing out healthy snakes.
Old 03-25-15, 01:48 PM   #8
Dragonborn

Okay, I think I'm going to get a Hoggy! Does anyone know a good breeder that sells one?
Old 03-25-15, 03:47 PM   #9
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Lot's. Try faunaclassifieds . Great resource for reptiles. Also, check the BOI before sending money so you don't get scammed.

Closed Thread