Closed Thread

Old 03-08-18, 01:23 PM   #16
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: How often to feed my male GTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedroo View Post
I don,t agree with the statement that says snakes don,t have a limit on food and they will eat whenever food is offered. I used to hear this about boas, but my boa rejected food several times when he was not hungry and he stopped eating alone since 3 months during the winter. surely if i increase the meal size i will reduce the feeding sessions. My GTP also stops eating when he is in shedding. He ate 2 large mice yesterday and the day before yesterday and today he did not act hungry. So this is a sign that he knows his limit on food. I,m still new to GTP,s and will adjust things as i learn more. I,m not going to harm him with extra food, i keep an eye on things
I stand by my original statement.

You're contradicting yourself. You come here seeking advice and when it goes against what you want to do you just do what you want to do. Why ask for advice then? You say you're new but yet you still know best? Makes zero sense.

You won't listen so I won't respond to you anymore.
Old 03-08-18, 01:51 PM   #17
Pedroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
I stand by my original statement.

You're contradicting yourself. You come here seeking advice and when it goes against what you want to do you just do what you want to do. Why ask for advice then? You say you're new but yet you still know best? Makes zero sense.

You won't listen so I won't respond to you anymore.
I have asked questions and needed advice in other threads, but this one is more about hearing ideas and thoughts from others. In this thread i don,t have a particular problem or something that i can,t handle on my own. Its just that i wanted to discuss the matter with others which i profited from. I thank everyone for their replies
Old 03-08-18, 02:42 PM   #18
TRD

No, you literally come here for feeding advise on your new GTP that you have no experience with whatsoever, you get the advise, then ignore it because "you know better".

Overfeeding a GTP is very easy and very destructive to the animal. You're killing your snake early, it's highly irresponsible what you are doing.

Ps. a boa doesn't go off feed for a winter period. It's not a temperate species that has to go through a harsh/cold winter in brumation or cool off.
Old 03-08-18, 03:07 PM   #19
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Some boids, usually males, will most certainly routinely fast during winter as it is typically breeding season, and they will do this whether a female is in the vicinity or not...and big surprise...it's usually for around 3 months. Other urges override their food response. Some snakes also won't eat while in shed due to the skin being delicate at that time and a large meal would make the shedding process more uncomfortable. Feeding response while in shed varies by individual.

Snakes are hardwired to be opportunistic predators that will eat whenever food is available. That is a fact. It is very easy to overfeed because of this and no you absolutely should not trust your snakes to know when they have eaten enough. A lot of captive snakes, even in seasoned breeders' collections are overfed. That is another fact.

With all due respect, it sounds like you don't know what you don't know. You've been given great advice here, but of course it is up to you on whether you take it or not, it's your snake. All the best.
Old 03-08-18, 04:59 PM   #20
Roman

Do you know Greg Maxwells “Morelia viridis: Das Kompendium” (the German version of “The Complete Chondro”)? It covers a lot of your questions and there is a whole chapter about feeding it, as well as a section about its behavior in its natural environment.
1,0 Lampropeltis triangulum campbelli, 1,2 Gonyosoma oxycephalum, 1,2 Philodryas baroni, 1,2 Spilotes pullatus, 2,1 Spilotes sulphureus, 0,1 Gonyosoma boulengeri, 1,1 Zamenis longissimus, 0,1 Malpolon sp., 1,1 Malpolon monspessulanus
Login to remove ads
Old 05-17-18, 01:31 PM   #21
Pedroo

It seems it was a period where he needed extra food and I gave it to him. Now the last time he ate was two weeks ago. He certainly does not need too much food. I’m adjusting now his feeding schedule to one Xl mouse every 10 to 14 days. Most probably every 12 to 14 days with my ATB together
Closed Thread