border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Viridis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-17, 11:34 AM   #1
steven.e

Question Green Tree Python Help

I have recently discovered GTP's and now want to get one of two. I would like to build a cage but I do not know what size I want to make it, I have heard a 36x18x24 (LxWxH) works very well but I do not have much space as my room is completely full of reptiles in rather large cages. What would you guys recommend for me to make and what materials should I use. I am also looking to keep it pretty cheap, around $150 or less of course. Any help is greatly appreciated. I was also thinking about maybe going 48x24x24 and keeping two of them together, would that work too?
Login to remove ads
Old 09-03-17, 10:50 AM   #2
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Re: Green Tree Python Help

My knowledge on GTPs is limited, so little comments on the size from me. I do know building something proper will be hard on that budget. Also I would not keep them together, should only be together for breeding purposes.
Old 09-03-17, 02:05 PM   #3
Scubadiver59

Talk to Yeloowtang and see what he/she does for enclosures for their GTPs...it's their picture that greets you on the log in page!
Old 09-03-17, 04:05 PM   #4
trailblazer295

My knowledge of GTPs is limited but I'm quite sure that those dimensions aren't big enough for an adult. They would need longer and taller. I don't think a 4x2x2 is enough for even 1 adult but I'll let others chime in. For $150 you won't be able to build a suitable cage for a GTP. I would wait until you have more funds to do it right.
Old 09-04-17, 01:14 PM   #5
Captain837

Get a book called "The Complete Chondro". Read it cover to cover. Then read it again and take notes. Then answer all of these questions for yourself. Not to be a jerk but wanting a chondro because you just discovered them and think they are cool is likely going to end with a sub standard 150 enclosure with a dead captive hatched imported neonate in a couple months.
Is it possible to make an enclosure that is sufficient for 150.00? Yes. Is it possible to buy an import and have it survive? Yes. Is it likely either of these two things will happen for someone who has never kept a gtp before? Highly unlikely unless you are working with someone who really knows what they are doing and does not mind holding your hand for a while.
Old 09-13-17, 10:02 AM   #6
steven.e

I am currently housing 6 other reptiles I know what i am doing, I was seeing if anyone had any ideas for $150 but i can go higher. Ive done my research just looking for suggestions.
Old 09-13-17, 10:59 AM   #7
Captain837

Ok, well aside from my above suggestion you will need a minimum of a 2 x 2 x 2 enclosure. Pvc is best due to the high humidity it will need. It will need to be well ventillated too as gtp's need fluctuation in humidity too.
When I kept them I used a pvc cube with an ultrasonic humidifier on a timer. This would give the needed spikes in humidity with the required dry out time too. For heat I used a che on a thermostat. I also misted a couple times a day, most preferred to drink off of their coils rather than out of a water dish.

I live in Arizona so depending on your climate and what age gtp you get this may be completely useless to you. I cannot stress enough how much you need to read up on care requirements specific to gtp's. Having 6 other reptiles does not help much if they are not similar to a gtp.

Tags
cage size, green tree python