border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-04, 09:08 AM   #31
mykee
Super Genius

Bristen, that's about the long and short of it.
Old 09-13-04, 12:08 PM   #32
RandyRemington

Have you heard of the hets doing poorly or just the homozygous? Is it mainly a problem of picky feeders or have shorter lives been noticed too (would have to be a lot shorter to notice it this early compared to a normal ball python life span).

According to Peter Kahl's web page he first proved piebald genetic with a piebald female (a pair actually) so I know piebald females can grow up and breed but it seems you don't hear about it (that’s the only one I’ve heard of laying eggs but then I don’t know many people with pieds). Maybe they just take their time and het females are preferred. Now watch the first 10 piebalds I hatch be females...
Old 09-13-04, 12:31 PM   #33
mykee
Super Genius

Randy, welcome to the forum if you haven't already been welcomed formally. I've heard of quite a few breeders this year witness breeding and then nothing. These females for the most part were hets, but well above cut off for breeding size, 2000g-ish. I guess genetically speaking there is only one line of pieds that I'm aware of, (correct me if I'm wrong) so the genetic pool seems to be on the shallow end so to speak. The Line just needs more new blood bred into it.
Old 09-13-04, 01:50 PM   #34
RandyRemington

Remember all the possible hets for sale back when pieds where bigger bucks? I think they have been outbred a lot already. In fact, with the sporadic pied het marker I bet there have been plenty of 25% possible het pied females produced and lots of those will produce pieds. The pied offspring of those marker 25% chance het girls will likely have been outbred 4 consecutive generations from the original imported pieds. If there are still universal problems after that then it must be something about the pied gene it's self. Maybe some super genes can be bred in to compensate for any negative effects of being homozygous pied.

With anything even remotely bad for business (or good for competition) being a taboo subject there sure is a lot of room for speculation regarding the nature of ball python morphs.
Old 09-13-04, 03:06 PM   #35
zero&stich

Send a message via MSN to zero&stich
Just a sidenote LadyLuk, The Sutherlands have a good reputation and I was on their site the other day. They have alot of Axthanics, Pastel, ect for sale. I'd check them out, and the other breeders on this forum and the "bigger" business's such as Khaul, Graziani, NERD(even though Kevin can be a bit aggorant). Another distributor is pretty good but as to if they have access to ball morphs I'm not sure. Regal Reptiles are good to.

Good luck tho. Agreed with everyone else, pick a morph that you enjoy most and you'll stick with it.

I enjoy the Pieds, Albinos, Pastels and when the Snow ball was produced that blew my mind away!
Login to remove ads
Old 09-15-04, 12:01 AM   #36
ladyluck
Banned

Send a message via MSN to ladyluck
Who are the Sutherlands?

thanks

K.
Old 09-16-04, 08:26 AM   #37
RandyRemington

http://ballpython.com/
Old 09-16-04, 05:16 PM   #38
ladyluck
Banned

Send a message via MSN to ladyluck
That site is located in the states. I'm looking to buy in Canada.

If anyone has any info on where I can get a Female Pastel in Canada, please let me know.

K.
Old 09-16-04, 07:20 PM   #39
Jeff_Favelle

Send a message via AIM to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via MSN to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff_Favelle
There's LOTS of female Pastels available in Canada. I see two ads for them in the classifieds right now.