border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > New to the forum?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-15, 09:58 AM   #1
No1stunner

Introduction

Hello everyone. I am new to these forums...I've always been into snakes and growing up my parents never let me have any as pets...so here I am recently married and out of no where I was taking to my wife about snakes and told her we should get one. I've collected a 55g (48x12x18 I think) fish tank a few years ago. So I told her for my birthday this year I wanted to buy myself a snake. We have to reptile shows coming to our area one is July 25th and the other is August 9th. So I started my research about 2weeks ago and it has brought me to here...where as of now I'm really falling in love with the reverse okeetee corn snake. I am a beginner as my wife is fairly new to the hobby (for a lack of better words) as well...she owned one as a hatchling that didn't survive Bc it never ate. Anyways I'm hear to gather as much information as I can about these beautiful creatures and hope to be a proud owner very soon.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-14-15, 10:16 PM   #2
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: Introduction

Welcome and best wishes stunner. Be warned, it's an addictive hobby.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 07-15-15, 07:57 AM   #3
Sylphie

Welcome! Corns are great pets, one of my favourites (I know, that they are rather "boring and mainstream", but still they are just soo cute and lovely to keep). Hope you'll find your perfect first one... and then a lot of new ones, haha!
Old 07-18-15, 04:16 PM   #4
No1stunner

Thx Sylphie and Ziggy!!
Old 07-19-15, 01:39 AM   #5
toddnbecka

Corns are a great choice for a "first snake", though a 55 gallon tank is larger than you need. A 20-30 gallon tank is large enough for an adult, small plastic tub would be fine for a baby for months.
Make sure to ask the seller how many times they've been fed. Sometimes new hatchlings are sold, much better to get one that's established.
If you're looking for something less common like the reverse Okeetee I'd advise getting to the show/s early. Even if you don't find that particular morph there will be hundreds (or more) of baby corns to choose from. Usually some adults available as well, though not nearly as many or as much variety to choose from. On the other hand, they're easier to keep contained (not small enough to squeeze out a small gap in the cover) and easier to find again than a wee baby if they do escape custody.
Good idea to stock up on frozen feeders while you're there too.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-19-15, 09:58 AM   #6
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Welcome! You choose an awesome hobby
Old 07-19-15, 03:30 PM   #7
SnakeyJay
Boa Lover

Welcome, good choice on a corn snake. As long as they eat they're a pretty hardy species and very forgiving of mistakes. Good luck and keep us posted when you pick one up

Tags
introduction, introduction post