border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-09, 12:56 PM   #1
Cherry4812

Question Ball Python temps

So I get that one side of the tank should be slightly cooler than the other. I have a heating lamp that keeps the warm side approximately 80 degrees but my tank isn't very big and I don't have a thermometer for the other side. I know it needs to be warmer so i bought a heating pad for under the tank too. Should I put it on the same side I have the heating lamp and use both? Also, should the temps be different at night?
Login to remove ads
Old 10-12-09, 07:47 AM   #2
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783
Re: Ball Python temps

80 degrees is too cold. Your hot end should be up near 90-93 and the cool end should be around 83-85 during the day. You can let it drop to 80 at night. I would put both heat sources on the same end so you can create a better gradient- you want the snake to be able to regulate its temperature by moving from warm to cool areas of the cage or vice versa. Since your cage has been too cold, keep a very close eye on your snake for signs of wheezing, sneezing, or clicking while breathing, as he could develop a respiratory infection.
Old 10-12-09, 09:50 AM   #3
citysnakes

definitely invest in a couple digital thermometers. you cant guess temperatures especially when using unregulated heating elements. you'll need to measure the temperature of the heat pad directly over the glass to be aware of the heat that your snake is coming in contact with. also you need to know the air temperature of the warm and cool end. its a good idea to invest in a rheostat or better yet a thermostat so you that can control the heating elements you use and not cook your snake or start a fire in your house.

bump those temps up to around 80ish cool and 90ish warm and you can keep those constant day and night. it is not necessary to drop your temperatures at night and your snake will do very well this way.
Old 10-12-09, 10:17 AM   #4
mykee
Super Genius

90-95 on the hot side, with undertank heating, overhead heating only dries out the air and is counterproductive to what you are attempting to do with a ball pythons. Get rid of the overhead lamp or bulb. 80-83-ish on the cool side. Keep these temps ALL YEAR and do not drop them at night as suggested in a previous post.
Buy a thermostat and temperature guage. It is imperitive that you be able to monitor temps and humidity ALL THE TIME.
You ONLY drop temps at night when you are breeding.
You are not breeding.
I also hope that this research is being done PRIOR to the purchase of your ball python and you had the foresight to learn about proper temps BEFORE you bought the animal and not after.
Old 10-13-09, 12:53 PM   #5
Cherry4812

I have a heating pad but it says the wattage is only 5-15 (i could be wrong i'll check when i get home) but that doesn't seem enough to heat to the right temperature on its own. I have a stick on heat and humidity gauge but i'm looking for a better type of device. Is there any anyone would recommend?
Login to remove ads
Old 10-13-09, 05:04 PM   #6
Cherry4812

I've been checking, even before this post, for signs of an RI (the wheezing, clicking, ect...) but i don't hear a thing. I've had a stick on temperature and humidity gauge. I know they're not the best but they're all i can do for right now. I put the heating pad on and the temperature is up. I did quite a bit of research on ball pythons but I was looking for clarifications on certain issues so thank you for answering my questions.
Old 10-13-09, 09:25 PM   #7
teague

Ok mykee, all my research on ball python setups has recommended overhead heat lamps. I totally agree that they dry the air and I am constantly struggling to keep my humidity up, an under tank heater is helpful but cannot keep the temp ranges needed. I also keep a damp towel on top of my screen to help with humidity. Here is a pick of my setup. Do you or any one else have any suggestions, because I would love to get rid of my lamps. A few months ago an apartment fire was started due to a cat knocking over a heat lamp on a snake cage. The snake perished in the fire I do not have a cat but I do have a dog. I try to secure my wires but I still worry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank.jpg (22.9 KB, 59 views)
Old 10-14-09, 07:52 PM   #8
new2herp01

I have a similar setup and I too find the humidity a problem. My BP shed recently but in pieces. (I have her in a damp pillowcase right now to help with the leftovers somebody suggested that one) I would like to see what anybody suggests with the humidity problem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 091014_195137.jpg (24.7 KB, 56 views)
Old 10-14-09, 08:10 PM   #9
mykee
Super Genius

"Ok mykee, all my research on ball python setups has recommended overhead heat lamps. I totally agree that they dry the air and I am constantly struggling to keep my humidity up, an under tank heater is helpful but cannot keep the temp ranges needed."
Wrong and wrong.
First, you're looking in all the wrong places if the only information you get is to use a heat lamp.
Ball pythons sleep during the day, only to emerge from most likely undergorund to hunt for food. An overhead heat source will dry out the air and is not necessary (or useful in ANY way for the ball python.
Two: You absolutely MUST use a thermostat with you runder-tank heat source, (I'm guessing one of those cute little pads for your local pet store).
ANY size pad is capable of producing temps of over 140 degrees; about 45 degrees warmer than you'll ever need.

Some advice; find some ball python breeder websites online (like mine) where you can get useful information that won't put you behind the eight ball, thereby forcing you to provide less than acceptable husbandry for your animal.
I won't even touch on keeping your ball python in a fish cage...
Old 10-14-09, 08:40 PM   #10
mary10

totally off topic but mykee, your pic of your dog with the tennis balls in her mouth is absoluty hilarious! great pics and website as well........back to your regular scheduled program!
Login to remove ads
Old 10-14-09, 10:09 PM   #11
teague

lol thanks mykee i will check out your website.
Old 10-14-09, 10:12 PM   #12
teague

I have a zoo med uth im guessing thats one of the cute little pads you speak of...im trying.

Last edited by teague; 10-14-09 at 10:36 PM..
Old 10-14-09, 10:15 PM   #13
teague

To control my humidity I take a glass or two of water and mix it in my substrate until it is all absorbed. I also keep a damp towel on top. I see you use newspaper so that won't work luckily i have had no problem with sheds.

Last edited by teague; 10-14-09 at 10:38 PM..
Old 10-15-09, 08:02 AM   #14
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

You know what's easier than mixing water into your substrate? Not using the lamps or using a fish tank.

The heat pad SHOULD work hooked up to a thermostat. You can go cheap and get a dimmer from home depot but then you're always checking the temps to make sure they are correct.

After that, if you're still having problems with your humidity and are still using the fish tank, then make a humid hide.
Old 10-15-09, 09:43 AM   #15
mykee
Super Genius

Thanks Mary.
Closed Thread

Tags
heating, temperature