border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-14, 12:52 PM   #1
dragonsblood

Best set up for a baby ball?

I'm really taking advantage of the awesome experts here so bear with me!
I just started decorating my new balls tank. I got him a stone hide that he really loves, he has a small heating pad under the hide where he usually rests, a climbing branch against the back of the tank, some fake climbing leaves to give him some cover for the corner he always rests in, along with some moss that I dampen daily. I also did that wet towel trick on top of half the screen to increase the humidity. He is currently in a 10 gallon tank.

My real question is about the lights. I recently bought a infrared light at 100 watts from Exo Terra. I put it on a timer to go on at 7 pm and turn off at 7 am. I have it elevated a little above the tank's screen so that he doesn't get too hot. So far, he seems to like it and will rest his head outside of his hide or lift himself up on to the hide to rest there and soak up some heat. My concern is whether or not a 100 watt is too powerful for him or not. I don't think it is, considering he isn't always in the cool zone or otherwise trying to get away from the heat, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

The next question is regarding the daytime light... I keep him near our balcony window and I open the curtains to let in some indirect (and increasingly direct) natural sunlight every morning. I have heard that BPs don't require special lighting, but I just want to make sure that it's okay for him to be on the heat pad only during the day with some natural sunlight from the window near him.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Anything I should be doing but am not?
Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
Login to remove ads
Old 03-11-14, 04:15 PM   #2
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

Re: Best set up for a baby ball?

Are the heat sources thermostatted? If not then you need t sort that out pretty quick

What temps and humidity sre you keeping the tank at?
Old 03-11-14, 04:17 PM   #3
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Yes you are doing something wrong and there is something that you should be doing but not.

1. You don't currently know what the temps are of the hot side. Both right above the heat pad as well as under the light.

2. You have not said if you have a hide spot on the cold end or not. I am presuming you don't since you never mentioned it. This leads you to believe your snake "likes" the hot spot and that it isn't too hot because it isn't moving to the cold end.
The problem is you have given the snake only ONE security option. It literally has to choose either between security (which all snakes but BP's especially prefer) or regulating it's own temps.

From my knowledge and experience on forums, snakes will choose to remain on the hot spot regardless of how hot it is because it's more secure there. Too afraid to venture and just lay in the open to cool off.

I cannot tell you if a 100w is too much or not because you have not provided the temperatures that are currently in the enclosure. You may not even need this added heat with the heat pad. I keep my ball pythons hot spots at 96F. (A little hotter than most people prefer)

Further, I would remove the snake away from any direct sunlight. You will be utilizing the glass as a magnifying tool and raise the temperatures on the enclosure to possible overheating temperatures. Especially with a towel covering most of the lid so it can't escape.

They are also nocturnal animals. The light is not needed.

So to go over the points again.

1. Cold side hide
2. Temp gun or some way to accurately read the temperatures
3. No more sunlight
Old 03-11-14, 04:45 PM   #4
Mikoh4792

All heat sources must be controlled by a decent thermostat.
Old 03-12-14, 02:34 PM   #5
dragonsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankyrob View Post
Are the heat sources thermostatted? If not then you need t sort that out pretty quick

What temps and humidity sre you keeping the tank at?
Sorry, I forgot to mention the thermostat. I do have one thermostat/hygrometer in the center of the tank (I haven't had a chance to go and buy a second one just yet). I keep the humidity between 50% and 60%, usually I aim for 60% but it's difficult to control it sometimes. The thermostat reads at about 70 degrees times, and that's another reason why I keep the thermostat there until I get a second one.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-12-14, 02:41 PM   #6
dragonsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
Yes you are doing something wrong and there is something that you should be doing but not.

1. You don't currently know what the temps are of the hot side. Both right above the heat pad as well as under the light.

2. You have not said if you have a hide spot on the cold end or not. I am presuming you don't since you never mentioned it. This leads you to believe your snake "likes" the hot spot and that it isn't too hot because it isn't moving to the cold end.
The problem is you have given the snake only ONE security option. It literally has to choose either between security (which all snakes but BP's especially prefer) or regulating it's own temps.

From my knowledge and experience on forums, snakes will choose to remain on the hot spot regardless of how hot it is because it's more secure there. Too afraid to venture and just lay in the open to cool off.

I cannot tell you if a 100w is too much or not because you have not provided the temperatures that are currently in the enclosure. You may not even need this added heat with the heat pad. I keep my ball pythons hot spots at 96F. (A little hotter than most people prefer)

Further, I would remove the snake away from any direct sunlight. You will be utilizing the glass as a magnifying tool and raise the temperatures on the enclosure to possible overheating temperatures. Especially with a towel covering most of the lid so it can't escape.

They are also nocturnal animals. The light is not needed.

So to go over the points again.

1. Cold side hide
2. Temp gun or some way to accurately read the temperatures
3. No more sunlight

My snake does have a cool spot. I made sure to follow the temp gradient that was recommended. On the left side of the tank is where his water dish is along with some more moss in the corner and that big climbing branch that extends against the whole back of the tank. I don't think it's suitable to call it a hide, but I'll look into getting a hide for the cool side.

I will order another temperature gauge today and return when I get it installed in the tank. Just from guessing though, I think his hot spot is around 85 or 90 degrees.

Thanks for the confirmation on the sunlight though. From my understanding, this means I only have to worry about leaving the heating pad on for him during the day, correct? (As long as it's at a suitable temperature of course, which I am working on.)
Old 03-12-14, 02:46 PM   #7
kwhitlock

Your confusing a thermostat with a thermometer I think. Thermostats you hook up to your heating device, you set the temperature and it puts the heat mat at the desired temp you want off the probe that comes with it.
0.0.1 Emerime leopard gecko ~~Kevin
Old 03-12-14, 02:48 PM   #8
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsblood View Post
My snake does have a cool spot. I made sure to follow the temp gradient that was recommended. On the left side of the tank is where his water dish is along with some more moss in the corner and that big climbing branch that extends against the whole back of the tank. I don't think it's suitable to call it a hide, but I'll look into getting a hide for the cool side.

I will order another temperature gauge today and return when I get it installed in the tank. Just from guessing though, I think his hot spot is around 85 or 90 degrees.

Thanks for the confirmation on the sunlight though. From my understanding, this means I only have to worry about leaving the heating pad on for him during the day, correct? (As long as it's at a suitable temperature of course, which I am working on.)
I never said you didn't have a cool spot. I said the snake won't use it because it's not an appropriate set up for it. You need to have the hide, a nice tight fitting one.

You should save your money on shoddy temp gauges and get an infrared temp gun. Much better and worth the investment.

If I understand this correctly, you place a night lamp on the enclosure at night? Why? Once you get the right temperatures we can then better give advice on what to do in regards to this.

Lastly, a thermostat is something that regulates the temps for you. It will dim your heat pad to keep it at the already set temperature. Wonderful inventions.
Old 03-12-14, 02:56 PM   #9
dragonsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitlock View Post
Your confusing a thermostat with a thermometer I think. Thermostats you hook up to your heating device, you set the temperature and it puts the heat mat at the desired temp you want off the probe that comes with it.
You're right! I did confuse it with that. I was already aware of getting one eventually, but it seems it takes away a lot of stress when you know what you're setting it at. Thanks!
Old 03-12-14, 03:04 PM   #10
dragonsblood

Quote:
I never said you didn't have a cool spot. I said the snake won't use it because it's not an appropriate set up for it. You need to have the hide, a nice tight fitting one.

You should save your money on shoddy temp gauges and get an infrared temp gun. Much better and worth the investment.

If I understand this correctly, you place a night lamp on the enclosure at night? Why? Once you get the right temperatures we can then better give advice on what to do in regards to this.

Lastly, a thermostat is something that regulates the temps for you. It will dim your heat pad to keep it at the already set temperature. Wonderful inventions.
Yes, sorry, I realized you meant a hide spot and not a cool spot only after I posted. I will definitely get one.

I actually do have an infrared temp gun! In that case, should I just ditch getting two temp gauges and just run a one with a hygrometer inside the tank? (Sorry if I'm asking simple questions.)

Also, I put a infrared heat lamp on at night because our house is pretty drafty, especially at night. But, you're right. Once I get correct measurements on the temperature, I'll refer back to this post.

Are there any thermoSTATS that you recommend?

Thanks.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-12-14, 03:06 PM   #11
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsblood View Post
Yes, sorry, I realized you meant a hide spot and not a cool spot only after I posted. I will definitely get one.

I actually do have an infrared temp gun! In that case, should I just ditch getting two temp gauges and just run a one with a hygrometer inside the tank? (Sorry if I'm asking simple questions.)

Also, I put a infrared heat lamp on at night because our house is pretty drafty, especially at night. But, you're right. Once I get correct measurements on the temperature, I'll refer back to this post.

Are there any thermoSTATS that you recommend?

Thanks.
Spyder Robotics

Herpstat is the one I use and will forever use. Top dollar for one but Dion over there is great with his customer service.

To answer your question, use a hygrometer and the temp gun. Save the money and you now have the ability to point and read the temps at the EXACT spot you're looking for.
Old 03-12-14, 03:16 PM   #12
dragonsblood

Quote:
Spyder Robotics

Herpstat is the one I use and will forever use. Top dollar for one but Dion over there is great with his customer service.

To answer your question, use a hygrometer and the temp gun. Save the money and you now have the ability to point and read the temps at the EXACT spot you're looking for.
Okay, I'll look into it. So far I've learned a lot. Thank you so much for your help. I'll come back once I get correct readings.
Old 03-12-14, 03:26 PM   #13
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

I will admit the Herpstat thermostats have better features but they can be a little pricey. I use the hydrofarm brand and they work great also.
Amazon.com: Hydrofarm MTPRTC Digital Thermostat For Heat Mats: Patio, Lawn & Garden
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 03-26-14, 03:53 PM   #14
dragonsblood

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys. I finally found my infrared gun and measured the temperature in his cage. His hot spot stays at about a good level between 89 to 92 degrees, obviously the warmer part is right in the center of his heating mat. He usually stays closer to the corner where it's not as warm as proposed to the middle.

The thing that concerned me was how cold the other end of the cage was. My infrared gun told me the cool side was anywhere from 59 to 65 degrees. I thought this would be too cold but I'm going to let you guys be the judge... Since I mentioned my house gets pretty cold, I had bought a 100 watt heat lamp but I haven't been using it much due to how much it dries out his terrarium.

Please let me know what I need to change. (:
Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-26-14, 04:14 PM   #15
Mikoh4792

The current coolside is too cold. I'd suggest ditching the 10 gallon tank and getting a proper enclosure(rack style tub enclosure, or plastic/wooden enclosure).

Instead of using a 100watt bulb, I'd suggest using a heat mat/heat tape to create a hotspot and maybe use a lower wattage bulb or even a radiant heat panel to heat the ambient air temperature inside the cage.

Do you have a thermostat yet? You need to control all heat sources on a thermostat(not to be mistaken for a thermometer)
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
heating, lights