border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-17, 10:34 PM   #1
snakemaster69

Ball Python won't eat, help!

I bought my ball python at 6 years old, she was live her whole life but I want to switch her to frozen. I have tried 4 times to feed her and she won't try to eat the thawed rat. She hasn't eaten in almost two months now. I know ball python's are generally picky eaters but I'm not sure if this is normal.
Someone please advise me on what to do, I really want her to be okay and I'm worried.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-22-17, 11:28 PM   #2
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: Ball Python won't eat, help!

Welcome and best wishes. If you knowingly bought her as a 6 y/o adult that was only eating live she may be very difficult to transition to f/t. You can try braining or scenting the f/t prey item. If that doesn't work you'll just have to keep offering until she gets the message or give in and go live.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 06-23-17, 06:35 AM   #3
juviniles_5

give it a freshly killed one(still warm). Put it on top of the hide. Take a live one and get it to scratch the hide to get his interest then pull the live one away before he sees it. You can even get some string and make the rat twitch a bit just make sure you can pull it off and not disturb the snake once he grabs it.
Old 06-23-17, 07:10 AM   #4
Scubadiver59

My juvenile Dumerils is the same way...was fed live and I'm only offering f/t. The snake still looks healthy so I'm not worried even after 1.5 mth of not eating. I offer every 7-10 days, on schedule with my other juveniles, so when it's ready to eat, the food will be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemaster69 View Post
I bought my ball python at 6 years old, she was live her whole life but I want to switch her to frozen. I have tried 4 times to feed her and she won't try to eat the thawed rat. She hasn't eaten in almost two months now. I know ball python's are generally picky eaters but I'm not sure if this is normal.
Someone please advise me on what to do, I really want her to be okay and I'm worried.

Tags
ball python, eating issues, eating problems, help and advice