sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-12, 11:33 AM   #1
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

Scrubby helping us decorate +more

We were decorating for Xmas, had the scrub out so she could explore while we got to work.
Finally got my female retic switched to rabbits about 2 months ago, thats her with a 12lb.

The reason for the scrub being in with the retic is simple, I'm attempting to breed them. (they have locked a number of times over a 2 month period, however I don't believe she is gravid)
Now, before people rant about hybrids being evil I'd like to explain myself and my position on hybrids.
I don't mind hybrids when they are treated as such, I believe hybrids should be labeled correctly, only sold to those who understand what they are and if forced to resell them, will label them correctly. I have just under a dozen keepers across canada that I know and trust, and 3 in the states that I know want offspring from the clutch should it even happen. If when she lays I have, say... 15 people who I know and trust who want babies, I plan to incubate an extra 33% of the eggs just in case some don't make it to term, and if they all do, I'll properly relocate the surplus offspring to the right homes or keep them myself. Another reason I'm being careful with the babies is because both of the parents come from species that fall under the "giant" category, scrubs get long and lean, retics get long and bulky. I don't have any idea how big the babies (if the pairing is even viable) will get, or what the temperament will be (This scrub is dog tame, but as a species they can generally be a handful)
The genetics of the babies will be 50% mainland retic (with a 50% chance of being platinum(fire) and will also be 50% poss het albino) and 50% Merauke X Sorong scrub.

I'd like peoples input on the pairing if you have one, but please make it CONSTRUCTIVE criticism only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0076.jpg (23.9 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0072.jpg (25.7 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0057.jpg (23.7 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0056.jpg (25.3 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0063.jpg (24.2 KB, 139 views)
Old 12-15-12, 11:38 AM   #2
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: Scrubby helping us decorate +more

I wouldn't consider the babies to be het or any part of a morph. I don't see how those genes will transfer to a completely different species.

I feel sorry for the naive people in this world. To think that people will actually resell these as hybrids or something. Especially if they come out looking more retic or scrub.

Ah well, good luck.
Old 12-15-12, 11:47 AM   #3
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
I wouldn't consider the babies to be het or any part of a morph. I don't see how those genes will transfer to a completely different species.

I feel sorry for the naive people in this world. To think that people will actually resell these as hybrids or something. Especially if they come out looking more retic or scrub.

Ah well, good luck.
"morphs" have been well known to cross over in hybrids, look at most retic hybrids, most carpet hybrids etc...
Secondly, I NEVER said anything about selling. All of the hybrids going to people I trust will be more or less free, (they will pay shipping).
Old 12-15-12, 11:51 AM   #4
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanbakir View Post
"morphs" have been well known to cross over in hybrids, look at most retic hybrids, most carpet hybrids etc...
Secondly, I NEVER said anything about selling. All of the hybrids going to people I trust will be more or less free, (they will pay shipping).
Oh, I didn't mean YOU selling. When these finally get bored in their owner's hands or they need to make room for something else, or their car breaks down, it'll go. Hopefully with the correct label.

Anyway, some morphs do. Not all, but some may. Can you link to hybrids that as far apart as scrub x retic that have morphs carry over?

It's one thing for carpet to carpet or something close like king x corn. I have yet to see the burmball or even the bateater have a morph.
Old 12-15-12, 12:02 PM   #5
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

Scrub X retic has never been done, however in bateaters

tiger bateater (super tiger X burm)

Platinum jungle (bateater X platinum retic)
thats all I can find right now
Old 12-15-12, 12:23 PM   #6
Rogue628

Send a message via Skype™ to Rogue628

I'm curious as to how handleable these hatchlings will be since scrubs are known to be aggressive. With two tame parents, is it possible for those qualities to be inbred into the offspring? I'm excited to see how this pairing plays out!

As far as bateaters...and not trying to go off subject, but do you or anyone know of successful ablino burm x albino retic pairings?
0.1.1 '11 Normal Royal Pythons 0.2 '11 Albino Burms 0.2 Rescue Dumeril's Boas (approx 4yrs old) 0.1 '11 Colombian Boa (BCI) 0.1 '11 Cali King 0.1.0 JCP 0.1 '12 borneo 1.0 rose hair T 1.0 cat 1.1 Kids 1.0 Boyfriend
Old 12-15-12, 12:53 PM   #7
nick654377

that scrub is an awsome looking snake. i wish i had the balls to house a retic. i love the way they look.
and a pretty big wish list......
Old 12-15-12, 01:06 PM   #8
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

That's cool that it worked with those. I stand partially corrected.

I still don't think things will switch over for scrub x retic. You'd need to do the cross again without the morph to prove that it has fire or whatever.

Rogue, to my understanding it hasn't been done. I could be wrong but I'm sure we'd all hear about the albino bateater if it had. The problem with that, isn't just having the two genes combine, it's if they are even compatible with one another on a genetic level.

In ball pythons, the albino, caramel albino and lavender albino are NOT compatible with one another so when bred together all you end up with are normal looking snakes double het.
Old 12-15-12, 01:13 PM   #9
millertime89
Forum Moderator

If you get extra babies I would love a pair instead of just one, especially if the look platinum-ish so I can try and prove it out.
Old 12-15-12, 01:25 PM   #10
Rogue628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post

Rogue, to my understanding it hasn't been done. I could be wrong but I'm sure we'd all hear about the albino bateater if it had. The problem with that, isn't just having the two genes combine, it's if they are even compatible with one another on a genetic level.

In ball pythons, the albino, caramel albino and lavender albino are NOT compatible with one another so when bred together all you end up with are normal looking snakes double het.
Thanks. My thoughts were along the same lines. As popular as both morphs are and yet, no albino bateaters, I was wondering if the two genes were compatible. Not only as far as having the physical traits show, but also babies that live. Isn't there a couple of ball python morphs that if combined, only gives you dead or deformed babies, to put it bluntly?
0.1.1 '11 Normal Royal Pythons 0.2 '11 Albino Burms 0.2 Rescue Dumeril's Boas (approx 4yrs old) 0.1 '11 Colombian Boa (BCI) 0.1 '11 Cali King 0.1.0 JCP 0.1 '12 borneo 1.0 rose hair T 1.0 cat 1.1 Kids 1.0 Boyfriend
Login to remove ads
Old 12-15-12, 01:27 PM   #11
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Brian Shelton hatched out albino bateaters earlier this year, he's not spilling the beans on how though.
Old 12-15-12, 01:39 PM   #12
Rogue628

Wow. Kyle, you should share some of this info you find!

This Brian Shelton? Home - CSI I'm trying to find him lol
Old 12-15-12, 04:21 PM   #13
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime89 View Post
Brian Shelton hatched out albino bateaters earlier this year, he's not spilling the beans on how though.
I'm going out on a limb and my educated guess is that these are second generation bateaters. Albino burm x albino retic making double hets. Breed them to one another and you can get the burm albino or the retic albino to go together. No easy feat.

Can you post pics DC?
Old 12-15-12, 07:28 PM   #14
millertime89
Forum Moderator

They're definitely at least 2nd gen, I'm on my phone now, I'll find the pics later
Old 12-15-12, 07:48 PM   #15
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Shelton
Jungle retics het Albino.They are the result of my breeding a purple albino Tiger retic back to a visual female Bateater.
I can't find the pics of the visual female right now. I'll call him on Monday and see if he's got any pics of the female.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread