border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Thamnophis

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-18, 07:15 PM   #1
Moop515

A Curious Possible Owner

Hello! So I am a young person interested in getting into the herp hobby, and one of the animals I am considering is a garter snake. So I would like to get a little bit of info about them. In a way it is my first herp in a way it is not, although in all practicality the former is essentially my situation. I'm a 15 year old mild ADHD and Asperger's Army Brat who wants to get into herping.(edited)
My family has tried a beardie before on impulse for me when I was around 7 or 8, but I was too young and due to my mother's uneducation, my conditions and other factors it was kind of a disaster that has spooked them from the hobby. We also sorta tried some wild turtles but they escaped, well one did and I let the other go. We tried a fish tank a few years later and once again it didn't work well because we aren't great with all the really complex and mind bending stuff of maintaining a 20 gal fishtank off of mostly basic internet search and pet store advice.(edited)
Now I want to try again, but this time I hope I am old enough, mature enough, and competent enough to try the hobby. My mother is very cautiously supportive but says it's will be all my work. I have a $20 monthly allowance and around $900 saved up. I will be moving soon (to a naval base in Corpus Christi, TX) so if I decide to enter the hobby I will get it then. I will probably get a job in that city too because my birthday is around the time of the move.
I have been considering a variety of reptiles and amphibians such as garters and corns and balls and red eyes tree frogs and chameleons, right now it's really between garter and corn and blue tongue skink and possibly the rainbow even though I have been hearing conflicting messages. So yes it is basically my first snake and I want to hear your take on them being a keeper yourself and I will see how you might stack up to my other research. My main thing right now is either herp or gaming PC upgrade so I can get closer to getting VR.(edited)
Ok there's my lengthy life story on the subject lmao.

But ye I am looking for an animal that is within that budget, is active in it's cage, does not need much space, can be handled easily, and is tolerant of beginner mistakes. I am inquiring about Thamnophis here but I will hopefully be getting info about other snakes with a similar prompt in other threads.
Login to remove ads