sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Varanid

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-14, 07:28 PM   #1
heavycivil

Black roughneck enclosure in works.

hi all new to these forums,

I have a 8x4x just shy of 7ft. fully lined with frp, tub and drain, vents, 3 50w halogen lights for basking and 2 other fixtures for light/heating if needed. soil/sand mixture will be ready to put in the enclosure on thursday, then i will furnish accordingly with many hides. Basking spot reads 125-130degrees surface temperature. My main concern is to obtain my 130 degrees surface temps my basking box/hide box is 9inches or so from my lights. Will this be a problem or should i consider moving to 75 watts? I will post more pictures once i get the sand/soil in and will be able to get a better idea on temps.

IPHONE1109_zps808bcbac.jpg Photo by lil_hodge14 | Photobucket
thanks in advance,
Login to remove ads
Old 05-20-14, 07:34 PM   #2
jpsteele80

Re: Black roughneck enclosure in works.

Sounds like the setup is spot on, I think your going to have to move the basking spot to the lamps or the lamps to the basking spot, don't think your going to achieve those temps any other way
Old 05-20-14, 07:44 PM   #3
heavycivil

thanks for the obsurd quick reply,
Yes moving the basking site level is not a problem as my 3 lights set up for basking are fixed mounted. Would moving to 75 watts be a better option as it would give me a little more heat allowing me to have more space to elevate or lower my basking surface temps to the correct height. Because with the 50 watts i have to have it 9 inches to 8 inches for 130-145. i guess my main concern is that too close for the monitor to get to the basking lights?
Old 05-20-14, 07:49 PM   #4
jpsteele80

Wouldn't worry about them touching the lights, as long as you don't have wire cages over them and there close together, if they do happen to touch them it will only be for a split second before they glance off of them, monitors are very smart and learn fast
Old 05-20-14, 08:34 PM   #5
sharthun

Nice looking build btw!

Steve
Login to remove ads
Old 05-20-14, 11:10 PM   #6
Pirarucu

I would just up the wattage. The cage is large enough that the higher wattage bulbs shouldn't be enough to overheat it.
Old 05-21-14, 03:02 PM   #7
heavycivil

ok thank you for the replies, I will get some 75 watt lights and do some TnE with the basking site. I will have the substrate mixture in tomorrow and will get a much better idea of how the gradiant temperatures will be for the 50w and 75w. I will post more pictures once i get the substrate and some hides in.
Thanks
Old 05-22-14, 10:21 AM   #8
smy_749

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavycivil View Post
ok thank you for the replies, I will get some 75 watt lights and do some TnE with the basking site. I will have the substrate mixture in tomorrow and will get a much better idea of how the gradiant temperatures will be for the 50w and 75w. I will post more pictures once i get the substrate and some hides in.
Thanks

Keep in mind, after running the lights for some time with a decent layer of substrate, the substrate will hold a good amount of heat...so your ambients initially will probably bump a good amount once the cage is heated completely. Cage looks very nice though.
Old 05-22-14, 06:42 PM   #9
heavycivil

Yea i figured the temps would jump up after the soil was in too once its heated. Just put about a cubic yard of substrate in.. still quite a bit more to go lol. Some back breaking work literally getting it inside and into the basement with 5g buckets is not a fun task. Hopefully i can move at work tomorrow
Old 05-22-14, 08:29 PM   #10
smy_749

Quote:
Yea i figured the temps would jump up after the soil was in too once its heated. Just put about a cubic yard of substrate in.. still quite a bit more to go lol. Some back breaking work literally getting it inside and into the basement with 5g buckets is not a fun task. Hopefully i can move at work tomorrow
How many inches you planning?
Login to remove ads
Old 05-23-14, 03:00 PM   #11
heavycivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by smy_749 View Post
How many inches you planning?
I will be having 2-2 1/2feet of substrate give or take higher in some areas. 24 to 30 inches. Any concerns?
Old 05-25-14, 12:18 PM   #12
heavycivil

Here are some more pictures i took, Pretty much all done just have to finish making it look nice and some more hides. The ambient temperatures read 90 hot end to 75 cold end humidity holds 70-85% and 50% at basking site with 120-140 basking surface temps.
thanks. iphone2009_zps3058ba06.jpg Photo by lil_hodge14 | Photobucket

Last edited by heavycivil; 05-25-14 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: adding some details i forgot.
Old 05-25-14, 01:54 PM   #13
smy_749

Quote:
I will be having 2-2 1/2feet of substrate give or take higher in some areas. 24 to 30 inches. Any concerns?
I don't think, in my personal opinion, that you need 24-30 inches of substrate for roughnecks. In case you didn't want to tire yourself out and lose all that useable space, I was going to suggest a nest box on the warm side and just some mulch / water tub on the other as they do not typically burrow much.
Old 05-26-14, 12:35 AM   #14
Pirarucu

On the contrary, I've consistently heard that they enjoy digging quite a bit. Not necessarily burrowing, but digging holes and burying themselves. (I'll wait for the rudi keepers to chime in though.) They definitely need a large water area as well, I would just leave dirt throughout the cage and set a pond into the ground for them to swim in.

Although looking at the pictures it appears this is already all done, LOL.
Old 05-26-14, 02:32 PM   #15
heavycivil

ok well at the moment i have 18-20 inches, i can always take out if neccesary i will wait for some more replys before i do anything.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread