border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-10, 05:12 PM   #1
emseeKAY

New Additions

Unfortunately i had a bad case of Ich which wiped out my community earlier in the month which left me with only my african dwarf frog, he was a fighter and shook it off which really impressed me and yesterday i got two tank mates for him.

I picked up 2 Green Spotted Puffers! they have quite a personality and although they are notorious fin-nippers, they havent at all bullied the frog. they are very messy eaters but have such great personalities. I'm also thinking of converting the tank into a marine as the puffers can vary in salinity. These guys are quite the fish and i would reccomend these little guys to anyone, very different! just watch for the fin nipping!!!

“If I found in my own ranks that a certain number of guys wanted to cut my throat, I'd make sure that I cut their throats first.” - Pierre Elliott Trudeau
Login to remove ads
Old 04-24-10, 06:36 PM   #2
marvelfreak
Captain America

Re: New Additions

What no pics? Come on you know you what to show them off. Sorry to here about your frogs.
Old 04-24-10, 06:40 PM   #3
infernalis

How can you post this without pictures.???

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 04-24-10, 06:59 PM   #4
emseeKAY

haha well ill get some asap! and sorry it was the fish that died not the frog lol hes still in there kickin around hehe, heres a picture from google
i'll get one up of the pair asap lol

“If I found in my own ranks that a certain number of guys wanted to cut my throat, I'd make sure that I cut their throats first.” - Pierre Elliott Trudeau
Old 04-24-10, 07:21 PM   #5
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Dude. Those things bite! Try it. Stick your finger in there. They have like a beak so it actually does kind of hurt! You need to add archer fish if you're going brackish.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-24-10, 08:46 PM   #6
infernalis

You into fish too Aaron??

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 04-25-10, 04:54 AM   #7
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

No good to me if they fin nip - tho i would love a marine set up - is one of my dreams to hace a massive coral reef tank with its own ecosystem.

Currently i only have a community of Guppies - they self manage numbers and i keep a "natural" tank. Apart from feeding i dont touch the tank at all. When fish die i have shrimps and cat fish in there that will break down and eat them. I have snails that keep the glass clean (and reproduce enough young to fit the amount of water) and also the guppies self manage - whenever i get a clutch of young (they live-bear) you get a couple of adults will die off - some of the young dont reach maturity (naughty cat fish!!) and so the numbers stay fairly constant.
Old 04-25-10, 08:16 AM   #8
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783

The green-spotted puffers are actually brackish, marine will kill them. You need to look up how to set up a brackish tank- it's usually like a 5% salinity I think. I would watch very carefully; puffers will eat anything that fits in their beaks, so I would not be surprised if they ended up eating the frog at some point. I had a large freshwater puffer (about the size of a lemon) and he ate EVERYTHING. He ate the other puffer that was in there and I fed him feeder rosey fish. He was awesome though- Bob the Blob.
Old 04-25-10, 02:07 PM   #9
emseeKAY

oh they love to bite! ive decided im giving the frog to a friend who has a very large 100 gallon freshwater community tank just in case, lol i dont know if id want to stick my finger in there Aaron lol do you have archers?

I read online at a few sites that they could manage in marine environments, but then again it is the internet... i was told as they get older its best to convert to a brackish if it isnt already so im planning on doing that as the next step, im wondering how long does it take snails to breed? or will these guys pick them off before there is any chance of that? just seems easier if i had a constant food source to help wear down their beak lol theyre primarily on Krill, Brine Shrimp and blood worms. Hopefully not frog lol

@Willow - bob the blob... thats just amazing haha
@LankyRob - that sounds like quite the community you have there!
@Aaron - do you have many fish as well? (i guess i stole that question from wayne hehe)

Old 04-25-10, 02:34 PM   #10
infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankyrob View Post
Currently i only have a community of Guppies
You will probably hate me, but I commonly keep huge numbers of guppies, feeder guppies that is.

Rosy reds have an enzyme called thiaminase that blocks thiamin absorption in animals, Guppies lack this enzyme.

I will admit though, there are some really beautiful guppies that I could never feed off.

Savannahmonitor.net
Login to remove ads
Old 04-25-10, 02:41 PM   #11
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783

Huh, I did not know that about the rosies. He also ate goldfish and snails and frozen brine shrimp- basically anything he could fit into his mouth, including the other puffer that I got with him..lol. I remembered now, Bob was an eyespot puffer and about 6 inches long. He was HUGE! Here is a picture of what eyespot puffers look like. I think they are absolutely adorable. I'm a huge puffer fan, but after I lost Bob, it will be a while before I try again. I get too attached...lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bob.jpg (11.3 KB, 35 views)
Old 04-25-10, 02:47 PM   #12
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

Wouldn't hate you for that Wayne - live and let live. My tank is as much for teaching ecology and "the circle of life" to my daughter as it is for entertaining me. If oyurs are for feeding your other animals then that is fine by me!! I have never been able to form any sort of emotional attachment to any of the fish i have owned for some reason (maybe its cos you cant handle them!!).
Old 04-25-10, 03:01 PM   #13
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

I currently own zero fish. I also am currently in the process of thinking of buying a fish tank, and hence, fish. All my knowledge is based on working in a chain pet store some years ago and selling fish. A lot of co-workers at the time came from Big Al's previously so they had a lot of experience with marine. I picked their brains when I could. We had a brackish tank with puffers and archers there.
Old 04-25-10, 05:29 PM   #14
emseeKAY

ahhh, that makes sense lol, ive fallen in love with puffers lol they have great personalities and are quite intelligent, especially when it involves getting at food lol ive been looking at articles on how to convert from freshwater to brackish but like always there is some conflicting info. anyone know any tricks, tips, whatever?

as always thanks in advance!

Old 04-25-10, 06:04 PM   #15
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

You never want to shock your system so carefully and controlled.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread