border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-14, 07:58 PM   #1
KingKyle

Getting my first carpet python, have some questions

So over the years I've owned 2 ball pythons and a king snake. The first ball python I got when he was older and he died. My second one I had to give away. My king snake rejected food and the vet couldn't find anything so she died. So now I'm getting a nice looking coastal carpet python and I want to have her for a long time. So, what are some general tips and rules for a first time carpet python owner? And from what I've heard they're nippy, any tricks to mellow them out?
Login to remove ads
Old 12-19-14, 01:00 PM   #2
marvelfreak
Captain America

Re: Getting my first carpet python, have some questions

Misting bottle workers great for me. If they strike i give them i light misting and they clam right down.
Old 12-19-14, 01:06 PM   #3
RBDTerrell

Same method as marvelfreak and I generally handle them less frequently and when I do for short periods of time. They eventually grow out of it without too much effort on your end. At least in my experience.
Old 12-19-14, 01:08 PM   #4
pdomensis

Assuming you're getting a young snake, I believe that more cover and security makes them less apt to be skittish, but I haven't seen enough snakes to actually back that up. Make sure to let it acclimate before trying to handle it. I also think it's important to not chicken out when going to pick up a snake. If it strikes or bites just stay calm.

Another thing I've done is to pick up the snake by lifting the branch it's on, then let the snake move to me when it is ready.
Old 12-19-14, 09:46 PM   #5
Mikoh4792

One tip I'd give is give something for them to climb on. They'll use all the vertical space you give them.

They come as nippy as any other snake really... Most babies come nervous but not bitey. Some come bitey, and others come calm as a cucumber. It's really down to the individual. With most carpets, you can take them out with a small snake hook and they'll be good once out of the cage.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-20-14, 08:51 AM   #6
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKyle View Post
So over the years I've owned 2 ball pythons and a king snake. The first ball python I got when he was older and he died. My second one I had to give away. My king snake rejected food and the vet couldn't find anything so she died. So now I'm getting a nice looking coastal carpet python and I want to have her for a long time. So, what are some general tips and rules for a first time carpet python owner? And from what I've heard they're nippy, any tricks to mellow them out?
only some carpets are nippy mate

its mostly hatchlings that are nippy,once they get a bit of size and learn your not going to eat them,they calm down

that said you get some that remain phsycos the whole of their life

give them plenty hides,branches,fake plants,etc this will help them feel more secure

cheers shaun

Tags
carpet, carpet python, first time, python