border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-12, 03:35 PM   #91
Necrias

Re: Read this now!

Since the other thread has devolved into mud slinging, I'll post this here...

All this ban will do is drive the Burm industry underground. Businesses/breeders will appear lawful on the outside (in-state and export sales only), but there is no way that shipping or interstate transport can be policed to any effective degree. Prices are definitely going to go up though, due to the small but inherent risk of getting caught.
Old 01-17-12, 03:36 PM   #92
mykee
Super Genius

Re: At a loss for words...

Maybe my ire isn't about the complete and abject apathy that 95% of reptile owners have for their hobby and fighting for it. Maybe this all just boils down to the fact that I do think the larger species (as I've been mentioning for years) should be banned (with the exception of the boa constrictor).

For years there has been an ever growing group in the reptile community in general who feel that the larger species bring in a 'different' group to the hobby that for whatever reason bright negative attention to the hobby, thereby giving the smaller species and their keeper/breeders a bad name as well.
So to sum up, I AM for the ban of the Big Nine (with the exception of boa constrictor constrictor).
Old 01-17-12, 03:36 PM   #93
Rogue628

Send a message via Skype™ to Rogue628

Really Mykee? If you don't have anything positive to add, would you please leave it alone? We don't need all the negativity.

"I" have burms and I'm saving for a retic right now. However, this isn't the point. It's about the privileges to have these animals being taken away.

"I" do not have a APB, nor do I own one, yet I stand with APB owners in their rights to keep these animals.

I see this all as a snowball rolling down a hill. It's starts off with banning of one thing, then leads to another. Pretty soon the Nanny States of America will no longer be what's left of a democratic union (my own personal opinion) but become watchdogs saying what we can and cannot have, what we can and cannot do.

It's way more than just about me, but about EVERYONE and EVERYTHING we have and do. I, for one, do NOT like having things taken away from me because of someone else feels like I should not have them.
0.1.1 '11 Normal Royal Pythons 0.2 '11 Albino Burms 0.2 Rescue Dumeril's Boas (approx 4yrs old) 0.1 '11 Colombian Boa (BCI) 0.1 '11 Cali King 0.1.0 JCP 0.1 '12 borneo 1.0 rose hair T 1.0 cat 1.1 Kids 1.0 Boyfriend
Old 01-17-12, 03:37 PM   #94
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

Keep in mind that even if we lose 1 battle, its still possible to regain those lost yards.
Just because you lose a few doesnt mean its time to go home, it just tells you that its time to push harder and move their line back.
Old 01-17-12, 03:37 PM   #95
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

Attached Images
File Type: jpg fighting.jpg (21.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg funny-internet-fight-caps-lock.jpg (22.3 KB, 59 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 01-17-12, 03:39 PM   #96
Rogue628

Send a message via Skype™ to Rogue628

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanbakir View Post
Keep in mind that even if we lose 1 battle, its still possible to regain those lost yards.
Just because you lose a few doesnt mean its time to go home, it just tells you that its time to push harder and move their line back.

Can a sister get an amen? I was thinking earlier what could we do to push back on this and then I saw this thread. Thank you for posting it Stephan. Anything else you find that can help please pass it along.
0.1.1 '11 Normal Royal Pythons 0.2 '11 Albino Burms 0.2 Rescue Dumeril's Boas (approx 4yrs old) 0.1 '11 Colombian Boa (BCI) 0.1 '11 Cali King 0.1.0 JCP 0.1 '12 borneo 1.0 rose hair T 1.0 cat 1.1 Kids 1.0 Boyfriend
Old 01-17-12, 03:39 PM   #97
presspirate
domi adsum

Send a message via Yahoo to presspirate

The strong language is getting a little excessive I think. I agree with the sentiment, but tone it down a bit.

"You hold the door open for the world forever you're never gonna get inside"
Keith Malley
Old 01-17-12, 03:41 PM   #98
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykee View Post
Maybe my ire isn't about the complete and abject apathy that 95% of reptile owners have for their hobby and fighting for it. Maybe this all just boils down to the fact that I do think the larger species (as I've been mentioning for years) should be banned (with the exception of the boa constrictor).

For years there has been an ever growing group in the reptile community in general who feel that the larger species bring in a 'different' group to the hobby that for whatever reason bright negative attention to the hobby, thereby giving the smaller species and their keeper/breeders a bad name as well.
So to sum up, I AM for the ban of the Big Nine (with the exception of boa constrictor constrictor).
Hey glad someone said it. I just don't want to have to pay alot to be able to house my burm. Proving you can secure it and safely keep it sounds good. Not every Jacka** being able to buy a giant python that could kill pets/ children and destroy the ecosystem might be a good thing.
Old 01-17-12, 03:44 PM   #99
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

I already said sorry to Wayne, I was pretty pissed last night and still am, but I've toned it down a bit.
Old 01-17-12, 04:33 PM   #100
beardeds4life

its nto to late we still have till next week
Login to remove ads
Old 01-17-12, 04:35 PM   #101
beardeds4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykee View Post

dont you keep boa's? How would you feel if they banned them. You do not care because you do not keep them.
Old 01-17-12, 04:40 PM   #102
red ink
Wandering Cricket

Re: $%## this Roony *******

I thought igs were also running rampant in Florida....

It does'nt have to hurt people to devastate the local eco system... seems all people care about at the moment is self preservation.
Old 01-17-12, 04:41 PM   #103
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

I think people are overlooking some things. It is safe to say that hots/giant pythons are just as dangerous as a gun. Most will agree a giant python is just as dangerous as some hots, if not more dangerous. There is no antidote for being crushed to death, especially if no one else is there with you to call for help. There is a background check and screening process for guns in most places. Why not for something allegedly as dangerous? Should an 8 year old be allowed to go to a gun store and buy a handgun? No. Why should he be able to go to the pet store and buy a giant python. Or even an irresponsible adult. "Hey i'll be so cool if I have a 20 foot snake"...... Some things need to be changed. I don't agree with an outright ban but i'd be more for trying to change certain parts after the band than stop it outright.
Old 01-17-12, 04:43 PM   #104
jaleely
Member of the family

So, let's get back to the animals. I think they should just ban the importing. There is no need at all whatsoever to have any of these animals being taken from the wild when there are so many in the pet trade. They should trap the ones in florida, and adopt them out to all these supposedly responsible snake owners who want them (not the ones who clearly let them escape already) and leave it at that. There shouldn't be any imports at *all*.

Most of the people who even want one right now only want it because it could be banned, and they don't want to not be able to have it.

I hate the government pushing laws and rules, and i hate the minority being able to be louder and push everyone else around, like this. But in this case and others, i think the snakes will be better off NOT being in some dinky petshop to have some inbred hick come over and buy it, starve it, and have it eat their stupid ibred baby and then escape.
Also breeders whine about having new genetics in their lines. If they thought more about the health of the animals, instead of trying to make a name for themseleves, or making money, they wouldn't be breeding mother's to babies, and babies back to siblings, and making a mess of everything anyway.

No imports. And yeah, I think people should have to get a microchip &/or a license for a pet that could be dangerous if not taken care of. *Because* the majority of the people, out of the minority that have snakes....are stupid. Very, very irrisponsible and stupid.

And, when it comes to legsislation picking on something I own, i fight it if i feel like it. I don't need a pep rally. Firstly, if i want to cross a border and move somewhere, I also own guns so they better be prepared to try to take my snake from me. Secondly, i'd be perfectly happy having only the people who currently own large snakes be the only ones. They don't need to keep being imported, since people have already proven they can't take care of their responsibility. Too bad so sad for the rest of us, but it's always the stupid kid who ruins the party for the rest.

Do you really think it's fair to keep selling a snake to just anyone, when it's usually that snake that is mistreated? Just for the right to let anyone have one? Not everyone SHOULD have one. I don't know how else they can protect the snakes from all the morons.

Randyrhodes, you put it better than i did *lol*
27 snakes (7 sand boas, 4 hognose, 5 ball pythons, 1 bolivian boa, 2 dumeril's boas, 2 carpet pythons, 5 garters, 1 corn snake), 1 cave spider, 9 tarantulas, 1 tokay gecko, 2 dogs, 2 frogs, emperor scorpions 1,000 dubia roaches, & tons of fish.
Old 01-17-12, 04:47 PM   #105
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaleely View Post
Too bad so sad for the rest of us, but it's always the stupid kid who ruins the party for the rest.

No offense, but kind of like gun control because of statements like this one below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaleely View Post
Firstly, if i want to cross a border and move somewhere, I also own guns so they better be prepared to try to take my snake from me.

That's way too far. No need to cross the border guns blazing for your snake, trust me it wont end well, lol.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread