border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Lampropeltis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-15, 11:30 AM   #16
nyjon

Re: Escaped baby Kingsnake! Help!

tie a pinky to a chair or a cabinet handle using string. hopefully it comes out to eat.

i lost my mbk for 6 months during most of the brutal winter here in new york. i found her in front of my driveway around april. they are pretty durable so dont give up hope. just be weary when moving furniture around to look for your snake, and keep the food coming. they have to come out to eat sooner or later

having said that, i had my mbk in a 10 gal fish tank also. after i got her back, i went with a sterilite tub, 4 top hinges
Old 06-07-15, 01:20 PM   #17
REM955

I saw another suggestion being posted earlier that I thought was pretty interesting.
Take a pinky and put it in a clean soda/pop bottle with the top open.
After eating it, she won't be able to squeeze out. =)
Old 06-07-15, 01:51 PM   #18
Princess-dad

I have seen a version of the soda bottle trap with a little twist on just a bottle . Take a two liter bottle cut the top off at the point were the bottle becomes consistent in size , taje the top part of the bottle you removed invert it put it back in the bottom of the bottle with the removed top now inside the bottle tape the bottle back together add small air holes insert food item and wait . The thinking was , I guess is that the snake will easily climb in but finding its way out especially if it eats is harder because of the lid hole now being inside the bottle . Please forgive my drawing skills .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sketchboard (20150607 @ 12-50-28).jpg (19.9 KB, 93 views)
Old 06-08-15, 05:54 PM   #19
jossh27

p-d i tried to figure out what was going on in that picture before reading your instructions and i was completely goosed. lol makes complete sense after reading what you wrote. good work
Old 06-08-15, 06:05 PM   #20
Princess-dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jossh27 View Post
p-d i tried to figure out what was going on in that picture before reading your instructions and i was completely goosed. lol makes complete sense after reading what you wrote. good work
Yep Rembrandt I am not . lol I should of gotten one of the many 2 litres I have not recycled yet and made a proper example . I got lazy I guess .
Login to remove ads
Old 06-08-15, 08:34 PM   #21
sophiedufort

I lose a snake every few days. They are masters at escaping and hiding in the weirdest places. They never go far from their original location. As some other members say, they will look for enclosed, dark spaces. I no longer go crazy and turn the room upside down, like I did when it first happened. What I do instead, I place purses and backpacks all around the room, unzipped. The next morning, it is almost guaranteed to find the lost snake in one of them. At night, they come out of their temporary hide and explore, get tired and go to sleep in a backpack or purse compartment.
A little snake will find the weirdest places to hide in. My 6 weeks old banana ball escaped yesterday. He just traveled fifteen inches, and got into an impossibly narrow place. I have a tall TV stand with drawers at the bottom and front doors at the top, that I keep open. The doors slide inside the piece of furniture when opened, and there is barely a quarter of an inch distance between the side wall and the door. That's where my baby went. He slid in there, and was happily going up and down in between the wall and the door, the narrowness of the space making it possible for him to explore an ample vertical surface without falling. It was sheer luck that my husband noticed him, and I just held my hand out and waited for the snake to come (he comes every time he sees an extended hand, and crawls up on it).
So, don't worry, you'll find your snake. It will come out looking for water, sooner or later.
Good luck!
0.1 Bp (Zoey);0.2 BR boa (Casey, Ally);0.1 Dumeril's (Missy);1.0 Albino bp (Mojo);1.0 Banana bp (Bozo);1.0 het ghost CRT (Dante);0.1 Woma python (Lilou);0.1 Desert bp (Skye);1.0 Pewter bp (Spencer);0.1 Champagne bp (Dumdum);0.1 woma bp (Gracie);0.1 pastel woma bp (Pixie);1.0 Super Pastel bp (Chester);0.1 blood python (Athena);1.1 CA boa (Pepper,Bobbi)
Old 06-09-15, 12:31 PM   #22
Wingbeats

I lost my baby rainbow boa right after I first got her. I tried out a bunch of things, including putting hides out and whatnot.

And where did I find her a week later? Attempting to crawl back into her enclosure on the table. Little brat!

It goes to show - even after just a couple days in my care she learned where security and warmth was!
Old 06-09-15, 05:08 PM   #23
AlexCrazy

good luck with your snake.. i would do the ''hot spot'' trick.. with the pinky.. or you could even make a simple little trap.. not anything that can hurt him.. just some thing like a box with a hole in a way that he can slither in but wont be able to push back out.. there are hundreds of ideas on the net.. don't forget the bate and heat in the trap to make him go in hope i was of use.. XD i was just thinking out loud..
I now what it feels like too lose a pet.. my hamster opened his cage and was lost for almost a week.. and i have dogs! jaja!
Old 06-10-15, 03:15 PM   #24
Albert Clark

When you do find it please be more careful! We have to stop or at least reduce the number of escapes we have as a nation. It reflects on all reptile keepers. Double check those lids, locks and clips. Remember we are being watched by the public and many snake haters.
Old 06-10-15, 06:41 PM   #25
AlexCrazy

I totally agree with Albert Clark! im not from USA.. but hat happens there goes to the rest of the world.. if someones snake causes a mayor incident.. form any place in the world.. now with all the technology we have.. anyone can make us snake lovers look bad.
this is not to make you feel bad.. just highlighting what Albert sead
Login to remove ads
Old 06-10-15, 07:47 PM   #26
trailblazer295

Good luck with the search.

I agree with the above posts. Story in the news here not longer ago about an African rock python that got out and ended up with the death of 2 young boys. Most of us keep snakes too small to dangerous to people but to people that are scared, hate or don't like them a 6" baby and a 6ft boa is the same to them. Part of the reason I picked PVC cages. No lids to push open and well my cat can't get in.

Last edited by trailblazer295; 06-10-15 at 07:55 PM..
Old 06-14-15, 02:58 AM   #27
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer295 View Post
Good luck with the search.

I agree with the above posts. Story in the news here not longer ago about an African rock python that got out and ended up with the death of 2 young boys. Most of us keep snakes too small to dangerous to people but to people that are scared, hate or don't like them a 6" baby and a 6ft boa is the same to them. Part of the reason I picked PVC cages. No lids to push open and well my cat can't get in.
Whether or not that snake killed those kids is debatable. I personally don't believe it.

But it goes to show how easy it is to convince the general public that these are evil-man killing machines. Although we can't prevent all escapes, we should try to minimize them, especially larger constrictors and venomous. Not just for our public image, but for the safety of our snakes themselves. With proper enclosures and diligent locking, it's not hard to keep them in their enclosures 98% of the time.
Old 06-14-15, 04:06 PM   #28
trailblazer295

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
Whether or not that snake killed those kids is debatable. I personally don't believe it.

But it goes to show how easy it is to convince the general public that these are evil-man killing machines. Although we can't prevent all escapes, we should try to minimize them, especially larger constrictors and venomous. Not just for our public image, but for the safety of our snakes themselves. With proper enclosures and diligent locking, it's not hard to keep them in their enclosures 98% of the time.
I don't see the snake actively killing them I could see just the bulk and weight of the animal being enough to prevent them from breathing if it were to crawl over them.

For those of us with specialty built snake cages with locks there is no reason 100% of the time they can't get out. They have 1 door and lock, my 48x24 has 3 locks so there is nothing for the snake to move loose. Partly why I didn't go with a tank and screen lid.
Old 06-15-15, 03:05 AM   #29
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer295 View Post
I don't see the snake actively killing them I could see just the bulk and weight of the animal being enough to prevent them from breathing if it were to crawl over them.

For those of us with specialty built snake cages with locks there is no reason 100% of the time they can't get out. They have 1 door and lock, my 48x24 has 3 locks so there is nothing for the snake to move loose. Partly why I didn't go with a tank and screen lid.
Honestly, I don't even think that happened. I wasn't there, but knowing how crazy people can be I'm more inclined to think the snake was planted there. Maybe my opinion would be changed if I could have seen the scene of the crime idk. But I'm really doubtful, especially when every single story said the snake fell through the roof onto the kids, constricted them, and then tried to eat them, not that the snake falling on them killed them. I really only saw keepers thinking maybe the snake fell on them and then crawled away.

I wouldn't say 100%, but close to it. People can be forgetful, and not locking the enclosure could allow an escape. I know one of the two escapes I had was because I tried feeding my ball python half-asleep and forgot the latch his tub after I threw the rat away. We're only human, you can't expect people to lock the cages every time, just most of the time.

That said, we should take steps to minimize these errors and learn from any mistakes. It's not really acceptable to be having a snake escape every couple of days like another poster claimed. If that's happening, you should be taking steps to make sure it stops.
Old 06-15-15, 03:23 AM   #30
trailblazer295

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
Honestly, I don't even think that happened. I wasn't there, but knowing how crazy people can be I'm more inclined to think the snake was planted there. Maybe my opinion would be changed if I could have seen the scene of the crime idk. But I'm really doubtful, especially when every single story said the snake fell through the roof onto the kids, constricted them, and then tried to eat them, not that the snake falling on them killed them. I really only saw keepers thinking maybe the snake fell on them and then crawled away.

I wouldn't say 100%, but close to it. People can be forgetful, and not locking the enclosure could allow an escape. I know one of the two escapes I had was because I tried feeding my ball python half-asleep and forgot the latch his tub after I threw the rat away. We're only human, you can't expect people to lock the cages every time, just most of the time.

That said, we should take steps to minimize these errors and learn from any mistakes. It's not really acceptable to be having a snake escape every couple of days like another poster claimed. If that's happening, you should be taking steps to make sure it stops.
I'm not trying to argue, neither of us knows what really happened. A snake that size isn't breaking through drywall but a false ceiling of foam tiles can't take any weight. I haven't heard about a 'try to eat them' part. I haven't looked in depth into it either.
Closed Thread

Tags
albert clark, california, hidden, kingsnake, lost