border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-15, 06:39 PM   #1
FrostOS

My snake fell... will he be okay?

About 3 and a half weeks ago I became a snake owner. I bought a 3ish year old apricot pueblan milksnake and I LOVE him.

I've been handling him regularly, and haven't had any problems before this. He's usually pretty sweet... sometimes he just picks some place to hang out on me, other times he's a bit more curious and wanting to explore, usually a mixture of the two it seems... but he usually seems to know what he's doing when he's moving around on me and knows how far he can go without falling, where to wrap himself to stay secure and stuff...

But today while I was handling him he had kinda repeatedly draped himself over my shoulder... he's done that before and I was just standing around talking to my Mom so I didn't think much of it... but then he just fell off! I reacted pretty quick and actually caught him before he could get past about my waist height. It freaked me out, but he just started slithering around on me again so I figured he was alright but thought I might do some research later to be sure...

But then he went up like... behind my back to a point where I thought he had to be in my hood or something... I turned around to see if my Mom could see him/maybe get him for me cause I kinda wanted to keep an eye on him... and then he fell again? Turns out he was partially in my hood but going for this chair or something behind me I guess.... either way he fell all the way to the floor this time and I'm really worried for him!!

I took him back to his home after that, he hung out in my sleeve on the way there and didn't seem to have a problem. He's been moving and acting the way he usually does so far but I don't know if there's a way to make sure he's alright? Would it be worth taking him to a vet for this sort of thing? Or is it not uncommon for snakes to fall sometimes and I'm just worrying more than I should?

Any help would be very appreciated... thank you!
Login to remove ads
Old 03-24-15, 04:40 PM   #2
Dragonborn

Re: My snake fell... will he be okay?

Hmm.... interesting. What's the temperature?
Old 03-24-15, 04:41 PM   #3
Dragonborn

It might be that the temperature outside of his cage is too cold or too hot. If it's not this, I might consider taking him to the vet. Does he seem weak? Do you notice anything on his skin? Is his breathing irregular? How often have you been feeding him?
Old 03-25-15, 11:36 AM   #4
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

i wouldn't worry mate

ive seen snakes fall off what they were climbing on plenty times without issues

i'm not having a go at you,but when your handling a snake you should have your eyes on them at all times,it saves them from falling...

that said,even when you are being careful,they can still make a run for it and end up falling

unless you see a problem then there's nothing to worry about

cheers shaun
Old 03-25-15, 11:58 AM   #5
knox

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunyboy View Post
i wouldn't worry mate

ive seen snakes fall off what they were climbing on plenty times without issues

i'm not having a go at you,but when your handling a snake you should have your eyes on them at all times,it saves them from falling...

that said,even when you are being careful,they can still make a run for it and end up falling

unless you see a problem then there's nothing to worry about

cheers shaun
Indeed. And the whole "snake on the shoulder / neck" thing is never the proper way to handle a colubrid. Always in the hands. Always.

Congrats on your new snake. It's always a learning process.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
help me, milksnake, new owner, please help