border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-14, 03:56 PM   #1
cm2030

Please Help!

I have a three year old Apricot Pueblan Milksnake. He was looking a bit dry so i decided to soak him in a little tub I use for him.

He is usually much more comfortable when I put a rag or tshirt in the tub with him. This time I decided to use a different t shirt that I have put through the wash many times in the past. He was soaking for awhile and drinking the water before I dried him off and put him back in his terrarium. When i lifted the plastic tub I realized that my shirt had dyed the water pink (even though it is an old shirt) and that he drank water wish some sort of red dye content in it.

The shirt doesn't have any info about what it was dyed with. I immediately soaked him for a bit in some clean water but I'm not sure if I should be extremely worried, call a vet, ect.

Does anyone have some advice for me? I want to take the proper percautions for my pet in this situation.

Thank you!
Login to remove ads
Old 03-03-14, 05:37 PM   #2
Jim Smith

Re: Please Help!

I'm not sure what a vet could do at this point anyway. I suspect that it will probably be okay.
Old 03-03-14, 08:49 PM   #3
drumcrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
I'm not sure what a vet could do at this point anyway. I suspect that it will probably be okay.
^^^i agree. The best thing to do right now is just keep an eye on things, and if everything seems normal then there is probably nothing to worry about.
Old 03-03-14, 08:49 PM   #4
poomwah

good point Jim,
not like a vet has anything to offer to counter any possible ill effects of fabric dye :[
how dark was the water? just slightly colored? a lot of coloring?
just keep an eye on her and watch her behavior
good luck and keep us posted
1.0 Rat terrier/toy for terrier mix- LOUIS, 1.0 whitesided eastern rat- George, 1.0 NJ pine barrens northern pine- Chingachgook, 0.1 Taiwan Beauty- Mei-ling, 0.1 Yellow Texas Bull- Norma Jean, 3.0 "normal" corns Fettuccine and Jager, Higgins
Old 03-03-14, 08:52 PM   #5
aRepDysfunction

if it has been through the wash i would be more concerned with detergents than the dye personally. but yeah cant really induce vomiting, just watch him as best you can. probably be fine
Login to remove ads
Old 03-04-14, 12:40 PM   #6
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

I would avoid soaks in general in the future.

If your snake "looks a bit dry" then there's a problem with your humidity in general. For a milk snake I would simply use a larger water dish.
Old 03-04-14, 12:52 PM   #7
Mikoh4792

Soaking snakes is something that needs to done only when husbandry is poor. No need to soak snakes at all for dryness. Just keep humidity in the enclosure at the right levels.
Old 03-04-14, 01:06 PM   #8
aRepDysfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoh4792 View Post
Soaking snakes is something that needs to done only when husbandry is poor. No need to soak snakes at all for dryness. Just keep humidity in the enclosure at the right levels.
Yeah if this happens more than once you need to treat the cause and not the symptom.
Old 03-04-14, 02:22 PM   #9
Pirarucu

I agree that the dryness needs to be fixed by raising the humidity, soaking will do little to help.
I don't think that there is anything a vet can do, but I would try to make sure he is drinking lots of water to flush the dye from his system. Some dyes used in clothing can be quite toxic. Try to give him drinks from a spray bottle, and change his water out more than usual to encourage drinking.
Closed Thread

Tags
help me, milksnake, soaking