border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Varanid

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-13, 06:04 PM   #1
hunter4life

Komodo Dragon as a pet..?

Does anyone think it's outrageous to have a Komodo Dragon as a pet..? My neighbor used to own one and he kept it in a huge aquarium..I felt so bad for it because it being a large lizard in small area, he was about 50ish pounds and 4ish feet when I held him and played with him one time. It actually liked coming over to see my Sav. Monitor and they'd bask out on the driveway together..sadly his ended up dying because it got ahold of something in the house and died, hence why you don't leave things out it bothers me a ton! What are your views?
Login to remove ads
Old 07-14-13, 06:20 PM   #2
Bloutitt

Re: Komodo Dragon as a pet..?

Well, uhh, seems dangerous to me but it would be a thrill to own one.
Old 07-14-13, 06:23 PM   #3
sweatshirt

I didn't even know they were legal :P
Old 07-14-13, 06:35 PM   #4
smy_749

I doubt he had one. Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 07-14-13, 06:44 PM   #5
MDT

I'm gonna just watch this one....

Login to remove ads
Old 07-14-13, 06:44 PM   #6
Akuma223

I agree with smy lol
Old 07-14-13, 06:51 PM   #7
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter4life View Post
Does anyone think it's outrageous to have a Komodo Dragon as a pet..? My neighbor used to own one and he kept it in a huge aquarium..I felt so bad for it because it being a large lizard in small area, he was about 50ish pounds and 4ish feet when I held him and played with him one time. It actually liked coming over to see my Sav. Monitor and they'd bask out on the driveway together..sadly his ended up dying because it got ahold of something in the house and died, hence why you don't leave things out it bothers me a ton! What are your views?
How do you know the komodo dragon liked seeing your savana monitor?
Old 07-14-13, 07:06 PM   #8
hunter4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoh4792 View Post
How do you know the komodo dragon liked seeing your savana monitor?

Not sure, it just seemed they didn't care that they were around eachother (mind you I was around 9 or 10 and I thought that they liked eachother if they looked at eachother lol) And I don't have pics cause this was about 8 or so years ago, I just brought it up because I was talking about savannah monitors earlier
Old 07-14-13, 07:08 PM   #9
smy_749

It was probably a water monitor or a black throat or something...
Old 07-14-13, 07:18 PM   #10
Amadeus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter4life View Post
Not sure, it just seemed they didn't care that they were around eachother (mind you I was around 9 or 10 and I thought that they liked eachother if they looked at eachother lol) And I don't have pics cause this was about 8 or so years ago, I just brought it up because I was talking about savannah monitors earlier
They were to cold to care.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-14-13, 07:51 PM   #11
valid

I want to know why you were just letting your monitors hang out on your drive way. Especailly the Komodo. Even if you were a kid I would assume the guy who owned the komodo (If's that's what it really was .. I have high doubts) would be an adult .. and know better than to just let his potentially dangerous animal 'just hang'.

I would assume that a Komodo dragon would require a large exotics license ... Which as far as I know, do not allow the caretaker to remove the animal from off their property - Unless being taken for medical care, or educational purposes.
Old 07-14-13, 07:54 PM   #12
infernalis

I am going to put the brakes on this one.

Varanus komodoensis has been an endangered species and highly protected since before some of you kids here were even born.

I believe you have been lied to, and it was either a water monitor (closely related) or an Albigularis (black throat, not so closely related)

If anyone were to be caught in posession of a Komodo, not only would they face felony charges, but the whole thing would make the news.

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 07-14-13, 07:57 PM   #13
hunter4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by valid View Post
I want to know why you were just letting your monitors hang out on your drive way. Especailly the Komodo. Even if you were a kid I would assume the guy who owned the komodo (If's that's what it really was .. I have high doubts) would be an adult .. and know better than to just let his potentially dangerous animal 'just hang'.

I would assume that a Komodo dragon would require a large exotics license ... Which as far as I know, do not allow the caretaker to remove the animal from off their property - Unless being taken for medical care, or educational purposes.

It was probably something else, but it seemed like one (remember I was a kid and I believed people on what they said cause I didn't recognize all the animals at that time) I think the guy may have been trying to be cool saying it was something 'exotic' which I hate, if you get an animal I don't see it as a symbol of social climbing because it's 'rare' or 'exotic' and people think it's cool and fun. And they both were on lizard leashes, his lizard wasn't full grown yet, around 4ish feet. When I say together, I still mean they are apart, just the same area.
Old 07-14-13, 07:58 PM   #14
infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by valid View Post
That caretaker would have to remove that lizard from one of the only 35 zoos in the US that have one.

No chance of eggs getting stolen either, since breeding is so rare.

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 07-14-13, 07:59 PM   #15
hunter4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
I am going to put the brakes on this one.

Varanus komodoensis has been an endangered species and highly protected since before some of you kids here were even born.

I believe you have been lied to, and it was either a water monitor (closely related) or an Albigularis (black throat, not so closely related)

If anyone were to be caught in posession of a Komodo, not only would they face felony charges, but the whole thing would make the news.
I'm positive you're right. As I said in my last reply I'm sure he was lying trying to be cool (the guys was also about 20 at the time and pretty much seemed like a bum who did nothing all day with no job..lol)
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
lizard