border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > New to the forum?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-15, 11:47 AM   #1
AHardShaft

New to snakes and need help

Hi I am new to snakes and need help deciding on the best one for me. Like I said this is my first snake and since I am living in my fraternity house this year my college rules state my pet has to live in a 10 gallon container. Since I am living in a fraternity house (in a room away from others i should add though so my room will be very quiet) I need a snake that is good with people (or as "good" as a snake can be with people). I think I narrowed it down to a sand boa but wanted to know if anyone had any other suggestions. I will only be living in the house for a year and can upgrade to a bigger cage after it if need be.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-03-15, 12:29 PM   #2
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Re: New to snakes and need help

Old 08-03-15, 12:54 PM   #3
trailblazer295

First, welcome aboard.

Second, I believe a male hognose would be okay in a 10g for awhile. But others might correct me on that. Personally I'd put one in a larger cage as an adult but that's me. They do stay quit small compared to the females. They will also be a lot more active and visible then sand boas. I would try to give an active snake as much room as possible. They will use all the space you give them, some species are more shy about being in the open but if you clutter with plants etc then they will keep roaming feeling secure under cover and provide more entertainment.

Last edited by trailblazer295; 08-03-15 at 01:20 PM..
Old 08-03-15, 01:09 PM   #4
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

Sand boas are good I believe for a 10 gallon. Also, a hognose is awesome as well. A male can live in a 10 gal comfortably all it's life but a female will need a bigger tank eventually, though a 20 gal long will do fine for the female after you move. She shouldn't be full size in a year anyway and can stay in a 10 gal for a while.

I believe another option would be male garter snakes.

Welcome and I look forward to seeing what you decide on!

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 08-03-15, 01:45 PM   #5
sirtalis

A male sand boa would be fine in a 10 gallon
Old 08-03-15, 05:15 PM   #6
Albert Clark

Welcome to the forum! Whatever you choose to keep make sure to do the husbandry research and familiarize yourself with it.
Old 08-03-15, 05:34 PM   #7
DDW

A sand boa would be a good choice I think as well. Smaller, docile, though are nocturnal if I remember correctly. So not very active during the day. Cool animals but manageable with the size aspect.

Also, welcome to the forum! We are glad to have you here. Ask any questions and we will do our best to answer. ^.=.^
Old 08-03-15, 05:37 PM   #8
DDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
Welcome to the forum! Whatever you choose to keep make sure to do the husbandry research and familiarize yourself with it.
I second this^^^^^
Old 08-04-15, 11:38 PM   #9
AHardShaft

Hey so I just got my sand boa and I had 3 questions: One, based on what I have read female tails are fatter than the rest of themselves and males are even with their body, based on the image I took of him does it look like he is a male or female? (If it is in the form of an attachment I apologize). Two, I think at the pet store the guy gave me the wrong one, if this is true this snake bit him one time when he was reaching in, if it has done this once is he likely to do it again? 3, if it is male and he is a little over a foot does that mean he won't get much bigger? Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (21.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 08-05-15, 03:22 AM   #10
SnakeyJay
Boa Lover

Garter snake, they're small active diurnal snakes that are easily handled.
Old 08-05-15, 04:13 AM   #11
DDW

I don't think there is a sure way of being sure of sex unless you have the snake sexed by a professional by probing or popping. Even if you wait for the snake to grow, It could just be a big male depending on the bloodline, though if it gets much bigger, it would most likely be a female. (I don't know much about sand boas in particular so I'm not sure on sizes)

the biting thing, it was most likely a defence strike unless the snake latched on. If it held on, it was a feeding responce, if it was brief and quick, it was defence. In case of a defence strike, the snake was scared but don't be afraid of him/her. The snake can sense it. It won't hurt anyway. It will learn over time as long as the strike doesn't result in being left alone. It will accociate striking with you leaving. In case of a feeding responce, it was hungry and thought the person's hand was food.

If the feeding responce is this strong, I suggest tap training (anytime you intend to do anything in the cage other than feeding, tap the tank with something but keep the item consistent, like clicker training with dogs but snakes just can't hear sounds like we can.

Could you post pics of your setup and how are your temps?humidity?

Last edited by DDW; 08-05-15 at 04:20 AM..
Old 08-05-15, 06:32 AM   #12
LiL Zap

I would say try a western hognose or sand boa. Before you make a purchase, PLEASE research thoroughly on the care!
Old 08-05-15, 06:49 AM   #13
DDW

It seems OP has already gotten a sand boa as far as I understand. :/
Closed Thread

Tags
new snake owner