border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Lampropeltis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-17, 06:04 PM   #1
King_Snakes

Smile Tank Size

What size tank should I have for an adult king snake and where's the best place to get it? Also if I get the king snake as a baby, should I keep it in a smaller tank or does it not matter? Thanks!
Login to remove ads
Old 02-25-17, 08:37 PM   #2
sattva

Re: Tank Size

Tanks are not the preferred enclosure here; That being said I have 5 right now... Rule of thumb is when the snake is full grown and it can lay the full length of the tank, plus one side... So in your case about a 3 foot tank, {50 gal} for a four foot snake... This will be pretty big for a baby but that's ok if you give him/her enough places to hide...

I'd set it up with at least three hides... They need to be small so the snake can feel the sides of the hide... I'd get three plastic cereal bowls, cut a door and flip it over... One on the cold side, one in the middle and one on the hot side... Don't spend a lot of money on commercially bought hides, it will just out grow it... A few plastic plants, your choice of substrate, {I like paper towels} a water dish and walla...

Oh where to get the tank? Iv' done real well on craigslist but that will depend on you area... Don't pay over a buck a gallon for a used tank... If he's asking $100.oo for a 50 gallon tank that's a little high...

You'll also want a temperature gun... Their only 20 bucks and worth every penny... Post pictures when your done...
Leon- 1.0 Lemon Ball, aka Russo Het White Diamond Ball Python... Crystal's boyfriend...
Old 02-25-17, 09:02 PM   #3
King_Snakes

Any other good tank shops? Craigslist doesn't really work out for me. And can't I just have an analog thermometer in the tank or is a temp gun better?

Last edited by King_Snakes; 02-25-17 at 09:16 PM..
Old 02-26-17, 01:42 AM   #4
sattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Snakes View Post
Any other good tank shops? Craigslist doesn't really work out for me. And can't I just have an analog thermometer in the tank or is a temp gun better?
If your going to put out the big bucks at a reptile shop, you might as well go online and get nice PVC cage at Snake Cage and Reptile Cage at PVC Cages | PVC Cages: For Healthier and Happier Snakes and Reptiles or one of the other stores... And yes! a temp gun is way better...
Leon- 1.0 Lemon Ball, aka Russo Het White Diamond Ball Python... Crystal's boyfriend...
Old 02-26-17, 11:50 AM   #5
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

You have lots of choices. I've kept adult kings in 40g tanks comfortably. They were raised in those enclosures from hatchlings and I didn't have any issues. I eventually moved them into pvc enclosures. If I had to do it all again, I'd probably keep my kings in tubs or pvc enclosures. Tanks are ok but they're kinda bulky and they can be pricey. I also agree with sattva that a good temp gun is a must. Those analog thermometers aren't as accurate.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Login to remove ads
Old 02-26-17, 01:33 PM   #6
King_Snakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Ziggy View Post
You have lots of choices. I've kept adult kings in 40g tanks comfortably. They were raised in those enclosures from hatchlings and I didn't have any issues. I eventually moved them into pvc enclosures. If I had to do it all again, I'd probably keep my kings in tubs or pvc enclosures. Tanks are ok but they're kinda bulky and they can be pricey. I also agree with sattva that a good temp gun is a must. Those analog thermometers aren't as accurate.
Does it matter if the dimensions for the pvc tank are a little off? Like a standard 50 gallon tank is 37 x 19 x 20 but the tank is 36W x 18T x 24D is it fine? One of my other concerns is that the sliding doors are in the front. Would that mean the snake can still get out? And would I still need a uth and heating light?
Closed Thread

Tags
kingsnakes, snakes, tanks