border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-11, 01:29 PM   #1
Damion930

keeping crickets

Well I just got a new tarantula and really don't want to run to the pet store once a week for a few crickets just lookin for input on keeping and maybey breeding?
Login to remove ads
Old 01-05-11, 01:53 PM   #2
Damion930

Re: keeping crickets

Wow just read up on breeding that seems a little more extinsive for feeding my tarantula maybey if I get more pets that eat them ill breed
Old 01-05-11, 01:56 PM   #3
NennaMeerkat
The Scorpion Whisperer

I don't know about breeding but as far as keeping crickets goes I can help. Basically anything the cricket eats you are going to be feeding your new pet so keep that in mind when you feed your crickets. When I had a surplus I always fed them hearts of romaine lettuce and half potatoes. Then for water I always had a sponge that they sell for hermit crabs. Sometimes the crickets might nibble but it doesn't hurt them. Another important thing to remember is that crickets needs ample space...they will canabilize one another if they are to crowded even with food given. I always put egg crates or bent up cardboard. Don't put it flat on the ground but instead prop it up on its side. Gives crickets more room and ample places to hide and feel safe. Crickets can "drown" easily if the environment is to humid so try and keep it dry. Bedding can be just about anything. Once again I used old newspaper just cause it was cheap.

-1.0.0 Bearded Dragon-0.1.0 Western Hognose-0.2.0 Leopard Gecko-0.2.0 Dumbo Rat-
Old 01-05-11, 03:14 PM   #4
infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NennaMeerkat View Post
I don't know about breeding but as far as keeping crickets goes I can help. Basically anything the cricket eats you are going to be feeding your new pet so keep that in mind when you feed your crickets. When I had a surplus I always fed them hearts of romaine lettuce and half potatoes. Then for water I always had a sponge that they sell for hermit crabs. Sometimes the crickets might nibble but it doesn't hurt them. Another important thing to remember is that crickets needs ample space...they will canabilize one another if they are to crowded even with food given. I always put egg crates or bent up cardboard. Don't put it flat on the ground but instead prop it up on its side. Gives crickets more room and ample places to hide and feel safe. Crickets can "drown" easily if the environment is to humid so try and keep it dry. Bedding can be just about anything. Once again I used old newspaper just cause it was cheap.

Sound advice..

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 01-05-11, 03:17 PM   #5
NennaMeerkat
The Scorpion Whisperer

yay for me actually knowing something for once LOL

sad that it is about a useless bug instead of something impressive...but hey there ya go guy

-1.0.0 Bearded Dragon-0.1.0 Western Hognose-0.2.0 Leopard Gecko-0.2.0 Dumbo Rat-
Login to remove ads
Old 01-05-11, 03:47 PM   #6
Jenn_06

why not breed dubia roachs, they dont smell as bad as crickets and breeds really fast.
Old 01-05-11, 04:15 PM   #7
Damion930

Thanx for the info nenna and comments u guys rock and I've ben thinking about the roaches
Old 01-05-11, 06:44 PM   #8
NennaMeerkat
The Scorpion Whisperer

I guess it is my personal aversion to roaches that naturally leads me to crickets XD I can handle crickets escaping in my house...but not roaches.

And anytime Damion

Old 01-06-11, 01:45 AM   #9
infernalis

Not sure how well roaches would work for tarantula food, and a colony may breed too fast for one tarantula to keep the population knocked down.

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 01-06-11, 06:03 AM   #10
Jenn_06

there is a guy on youtube that breeds and has tons of tarantula and he feeds roaches and if they breed too fast he can always sell some.
YouTube - Very long feeding video!!!LOL!!
Old 01-06-11, 10:43 AM   #11
Damion930

That's not a bad idea hm....
Old 01-06-11, 02:58 PM   #12
BlindOne

I would not recommend using a sponge for crickets, sponges get nasty very fast. I use water crystals and feed the crix ground up dog food. Works fine and doesn't stink
Old 01-06-11, 03:08 PM   #13
NennaMeerkat
The Scorpion Whisperer

The sponges that they use for hermit crabs are dried sea sponges type things. They can get nasty however they are not anything like a household sponge that you use to wash dishes or clean something with. In fact a sea sponge would not clean anything at all LOL. The degree at which they get nasty is nothing like that of a normal sponge. Takes far far longer and doesn't "hold" germs and mold either. Thus is why they are safe for hermit crabs.

Old 03-04-11, 08:16 PM   #14
Rambleonrenae

Send a message via Yahoo to Rambleonrenae

I buy 500 crickets at a time for our Bearded Dragon, as we live way out in the country and its a hassle to get to the pet store on a regular basis. Plus its a much better deal buying 500 than it is 100.. to keep them alive and as recommended and tried with success We use an average sized tote or tub w/lid with a couple of inches pine mulch in the bottom, 2 large recycled cardboard egg crates and some smaller cut up pieces. We feed them gutload, I buy it by the pound, my reptile store/breeder makes their own, or you can buy it, its sort of like a gel or gelatin type substance. I put in a few potatoes too, and thats it. Ive not had many casualties at all doing it this way and they are really easy to keep. It takes me 3-4 weeks to go through 500 crickets, always feeding the bigger ones first.
Old 03-05-11, 08:10 AM   #15
kenchenzo

what tarantula have you got mate.
1 mediterranean yellow rat-1 taiwanese beauty snake-4 corn snakes-1 red tail boa-1 reduced pattern boa-3royal pythons-1 milk snake-1 yellow anaconda-1 burmese python-1 albino burmese-1 Paraguayan Rainbow boa-1 100% albino milk-1 100% het albino milk-1 desert king-1 common boa-1 crested gecko-1 nile monitor&1 green iguana.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread