border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Elaphe Guttata Guttata

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-12, 10:14 PM   #1
Sapesko

Unhappy Corn Snake no longer eating.

My Rootbeer corn is about five and a half yrs, and about six weeks ago he stopped taking food, which he's never done before. I moved into a new place about 4 months ago, but he had been eating before. I had been feeding him thawed frozen mice but when he stopped I tried a live one, which he also ignored. He's pooped twice since he stopped eating, which surprised me. The first time was about two weeks ago when I had him outside on the grass, and the second time was today in my bedroom - I was surprised both that he wouldn't in his tank and that he had to at all, especially the second time - it was almost entirely liquid. He seems totally active and healthy, but I'm starting to get worried. Any thoughts?
Login to remove ads
Old 05-17-12, 10:30 PM   #2
alessia55
Retired Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alessia55
Re: Corn Snake no longer eating.

How often do you regularly feed him?
What are the temperatures in his enclosure at his new home?
I also recommend not handling him until he eats again for you. Handling can be stressful sometimes (even if he's used to being handled).
You probably don't need to worry. 6 weeks is not a long time to go without eating.
Old 05-17-12, 11:15 PM   #3
Sapesko

I hadn't handled him in about two weeks before I tried last (yesterday). He used to eat every 2-3 weeks. I don't have a thermostat anymore, but the heat seems adequate and he doesn't spend much time on his heat rock or under the lamp so I didn't think it was too cold for him. Thanks!
Old 05-17-12, 11:31 PM   #4
alessia55
Retired Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alessia55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapesko View Post
I hadn't handled him in about two weeks before I tried last (yesterday). He used to eat every 2-3 weeks. I don't have a thermostat anymore, but the heat seems adequate and he doesn't spend much time on his heat rock or under the lamp so I didn't think it was too cold for him. Thanks!
Then only offer him food every 2-3 weeks. Don't offer him food any more often than that. If you can, don't handle him at all until he eats for you.

Heat rocks are a TERRIBLE heat source for any snake. They can get ridiculously hot and burn your snake. Get it out of there asap.

Is the heat lamp on a thermostat? Without a thermostat, you can't control the heat in the enclosure. It would help if you give us the actual temperatures in the enclosure- on both the cooler end and the warmer end.

In short, though, 2-3 missed meals over 6 weeks isn't a big deal. Just keep offering food every 2-3 weeks and he'll eat for you eventually. In the mean time, make sure your husbandry is spot on.
Old 05-18-12, 02:56 AM   #5
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapesko View Post

Why would you remove the thermostat? Put it back on asap!

How do you know the heat is adequate?? What are you measuring it with?

DO NOT use a death rock - please remove it asap.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
won't eat, won't take food