border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > Front Page Polls

Notices

View Poll Results: How often do you handle your snakes?
As often as I can, very frequently 28 13.86%
A couple times a day or so 37 18.32%
Once a day maybe if I can 56 27.72%
Only as necessary to maintain them properly 20 9.90%
once or twice a week 50 24.75%
once or twice a month 11 5.45%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-11, 12:30 AM   #1
infernalis

How often do you handle your snakes?

This poll is anonymous, your vote will not disclose your identity, so answer honestly without worry.

The thread is available if you would like to discuss or debate handling snakes in your possession.

We are each entitled to our own opinions on this, so absolutely no name calling or unnecessary bickering please.

Savannahmonitor.net
Login to remove ads
Old 04-14-11, 01:15 AM   #2
Max713

Re: How often do you handle your snakes?

Scarlett come's out of her enclosure quite regularly, usually whenever I see her bumping the glass or being overly active, I let her out for a bit. This can equate to her being out of her enclosure anywhere between 1 and 4 times a day. I RARELY take her out against her will.
When I open her enclosure door, she ready and willingly crawls out, and into my hands. I can guide her onto my shoulders and walk around with her, actually since I've had her I've desensitized her "head shyness". I can actually place my fingers under her head and "pick her up" by it. I say pick her up loosely as it's more just guiding her head to where I want it. She doesn't like it if I just come at her head or randomly touch it (who does ), but if she thinks she's going somewhere, she has no problem with me "picking her up by it".
Such a sweet girl, I can't imagine a more tame carpet.
If someone can actually prove I'm doing her harm by handling her so much, I'm all ears, until then, I'll keeping interacting with and enjoying the company of my big beautiful girl!

I chose option #2, averaging it out, I probably handle her twice daily.
And of course, I don't handle her when not appropriate such as after a meal, or during shed.

P.S. Great poll idea Wayne!
Old 04-14-11, 01:19 AM   #3
Reptile_Reptile
You can call me JR

i wish i could hold them more, but with the way my days go maybe 3 times a week. thats a big maybe too but i make sure they get out at least 7-8 times a month. its just hard to hold them and do things that i need to do so they get most of my spare time.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. -John Lennon
Old 04-14-11, 02:43 AM   #4
red ink
Wandering Cricket

I don't fall into any of the criteria Wayne so I just voted for the closest approximation.

Basically:
I handle enough to be tolerated when cleaning or for inspection so I don't have to bleed to do chores. But I don't handle to be "loved".
Old 04-14-11, 02:53 AM   #5
NennaMeerkat
The Scorpion Whisperer

With my baby hoggie she would get to stressed out if I handled her to often. If there was an option "Once or twice a week" I would have chosen that. Slowly want to build it to every other day kind of thing eventually.

Want to get her used to being handled and touched so she can be a cool "show and tell" type thing for my son during school. Sort of me going there with my rats, bearded dragon, and hoggie...show them off to the kids...let them ask questions...and give helpful information about why you should or shouldn't own them. I believe, with many things, that you have to start early to get people more aware of responsibility and such. Try to get them thinking outside of the "cool" factor.

-1.0.0 Bearded Dragon-0.1.0 Western Hognose-0.2.0 Leopard Gecko-0.2.0 Dumbo Rat-
Login to remove ads
Old 04-14-11, 02:56 AM   #6
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

I am not really covered on the poll either wayne, can we extend it maybe?

Each of my snakes gets handled once or twice every 14 days, avoiding feeding/shedding times. At times one or other wil lbe handled slightly more, of for example they have recently been handled and then destroys their enclosure or does a massive poop that requires more than just spot cleaning.

When we only had two we handled them both a few times a week but over time and with experience we have come around to the idea that too much handling just increases stress levels for the snakes and having more to handle they all get more "rest time" in between.
Old 04-14-11, 03:34 AM   #7
SnakeyJay
Boa Lover

If my snakes are active or rubbing on the glass ill let them out.. Obviously feeding and cleaning times aswell.
Old 04-14-11, 04:34 AM   #8
infernalis

I modified choice 4.

Myself I do not like to stress my animals, so I don't believe in constant human mauling of my snakes.

feeding, inspections, photo shoots, cage cleanings, that's about it.

Every once in a while, I do get out one of my mellower more docile snakes out for a few minutes, but that's just every so often, and not the same one over and over.

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 04-14-11, 06:29 AM   #9
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
I modified choice 4.

Myself I do not like to stress my animals, so I don't believe in constant human mauling of my snakes.

feeding, inspections, photo shoots, cage cleanings, that's about it.

Every once in a while, I do get out one of my mellower more docile snakes out for a few minutes, but that's just every so often, and not the same one over and over.
^^^^^
thats pretty much the same for me as i only handle when its 100% neccesary

cheers shaun
Old 04-14-11, 06:33 AM   #10
whoaxmary

Send a message via AIM to whoaxmary Send a message via MSN to whoaxmary

Each of my snakes is a little different. I handle Blue (1 1/2 -2 foot bp) the most, maybe once every second day on average. Yesterday when it was warm I took her out for awalk when I took the dogs. I didn't handle her this much at first, but have started to more and more, and she is the most docile out of the three. She often rubs up against the glass, and always willingly moves up onto my hand and arm. She is my baby snake. <3
Ruby (2f+ cornsnake) isn't as happy to be held. So I keep handleing her to a min. I take her out and hold her once, maybe twice a week besides feeding/cleaning day. Only for short periods of time and since I've had her she's calmed down imensely.
Richard (4-5f pine) is barely touched at this point. A stroke or small lift here and there when I feel gutsy. I read in another thread a few people disussing different tamining methods, and have started doing what someone else suggested, just reading or watching t.v while having my hand resting in the viv, until he seems to not mind in. The only time I've lifted him out completely was to completely clean out the enclosure he came in. I'm no snake expert. expecially compaired to the opinions above me.. But I guess I just sort of feel out each snake and don't push them more than it seems that they're up for. Wasn't sure which poll option to choose.
Old 04-14-11, 07:40 AM   #11
infernalis

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but some of my favourite snakes are the ones that refuse to be picked up without a fight.

I have one we call B.A. (Bad attitude) that will lunge at me with his mouth wide open even when I am filling his water bowl.

Another I call "Jaws" who never stops trying to bite, he's a proud majestic specimen who struts about his cage, and he protects his territory.

Dorothy (The snake) was the same way, she was awesome to look at, just keep your distance and she was fine, even at feeding time, frequently she ripped the mouse off the tongs so forcefully it almost knocked the tongs out of my hand.

So handling them is just not something I'm interested in doing. I like them the way they are, and have no desire to "tame them"

Then I have a few I call "dorky" because they seem almost reaction-less when picked up. .

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 04-14-11, 08:21 AM   #12
zer213

Lillith (bp) is still head shy but could care less about being handled. Sheddding, eating, pooping. Doesnt matter. So I handle her as much as she seems to be comfortable with. Which is any time
She breaks the mold on alot of things. Somehow I manage to find animals that arent typical. Cocker spaniel that thinks hes a cat, cat that thinks hes a dog and is terrified of mice, and a bp that loves to hang out on her branch more then in her hiding spots (unless its shed/digestion time). Go figure.

Last edited by zer213; 04-14-11 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Old 04-14-11, 09:39 AM   #13
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankyrob View Post
When we only had two we handled them both a few times a week but over time and with experience we have come around to the idea that too much handling just increases stress levels for the snakes and having more to handle they all get more "rest time" in between.
Best reason I've heard to acquire more snakes "Need more so they each get rest time between handling."
Old 04-14-11, 11:03 AM   #14
NennaMeerkat
The Scorpion Whisperer

Best reason I've heard to acquire more snakes "Need more so they each get rest time between handling."

I couldn't agree with you more there Aaron.

-1.0.0 Bearded Dragon-0.1.0 Western Hognose-0.2.0 Leopard Gecko-0.2.0 Dumbo Rat-
Old 04-14-11, 12:30 PM   #15
Reptile_Reptile
You can call me JR

i agree nice one aaron
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. -John Lennon
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread