border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-12, 08:21 PM   #1
Kaetlinv

Possible fin rot on Betta - advice?

Just did a little close investigation of Jazzy and it appears he might have a mild case of fin rot on his tail...I wish I'd seen it this morning before I bought this new stuff, or I'd have skipped the plants and the rock and gotten medication for him instead. Now I've got to wait until monday (when my financial aid refund check will come in, I hope for heavens sake..) when I actually have money to get him the right stuff.

I barely noticed it, but I looked really close and compared old pictures of him and now, and his fins definitely are not the same.

I read that dirty water can cause fin rot... Will cleaning it too much do the same? I'm really worried, will two days be too much of a delay for treatment? I don't want to ask my mom for money if I can help it, but if two days will mean him being healthy and alive or him being sick / dead, I'll get money from her and go tonight. He is still acting normal, moving around a lot and acting like a pig.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-29-12, 08:25 PM   #2
Kaetlinv

Re: Possible fin rot on Betta - advice?

Just took a few pictures of his tail...

Old 09-29-12, 08:26 PM   #3
alessia55
Retired Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alessia55

My betta fish had pretty bad scale rot- He has very little of his fins and tail left. HOWEVER, he is over five years old now, and shows no sign of dying any time soon (I hope). He now lives with a friend of mine. Cleaning the water more often and making sure the water is treated will help. If you have a filter for your water, that would be even better. If she's acting normal, don't worry about it too much. But I would definitely change the water and treat it with drops in the meantime.

Edit to add: I'm going to try and dig up a photo of my betta for you. I only have one lol.
Old 09-29-12, 08:30 PM   #4
Kaetlinv

He just got put into a new tank (total of 1 gallon, with 1 liter of his 'old' betta water from his old tank) with dechlorinator drops to clean the water. This is rather sudden, as he didn't have it last week... The only things that have changed are the water (due to move from st helens oregon to monmouth oregon) and the dechlorinator brand. The dechlorinator says 10 drops per every gallon for new tanks, and 5 ml per every 40gallon for cleaning.

So two days would be fine for him until I can get medicine on monday (hopefully!) ?
Old 09-29-12, 08:31 PM   #5
alessia55
Retired Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alessia55

Hmmm the only photo I have of Soprano was when he still had a good portion of his fins.

He now has about half of the fins you see in that photo.

Yes, 2 days should be fine so long as the tank is clean. It might be the sudden move that has stressed him out a bit.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-29-12, 08:34 PM   #6
Kaetlinv

Hopefully that's all it is. Both the fish tanks are on the same desk because nothing else is stable enough - but I've got things in between to break visual contact. I'll make sure they can't see each other (or rather Jazzy can't see Chubs) tonight. Thanks, Alessia
Old 09-29-12, 08:53 PM   #7
Raan

The pic quality isn't great but it doesn't look like fin rot, fin rot would actually give the fins a outline of black where its roting looks like he's just wrecking his own fins
Old 09-29-12, 09:33 PM   #8
shuga

Betta Fix should cure it. It's not too expensive and it worked for me every time i used it. i used to work in a pet store and every time we got a sick beta in, they would let them die, so i started taking them home and healing them, at one point i had 27 betas.

also, i used Stress Coat to treat the water, its better for fish and not as harsh as other treaters. good luck.
Closed Thread