border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-13, 06:41 PM   #1
bumblebat

Re: Fish dying

Also, feeding bloodworms more than once or twice a week can be dangerous. They tend to carry a bacteria that causes bloat and they're not nutritionally viable as a staple diet. I would recommend looking in to getting New Life Spectrum flakes w/ garlic online. It's the best food you can get without just making it yourself, which can get messy and expensive (I do both.)
Bloodworms and brineshrimp should be supplemental at most.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-23-13, 02:22 PM   #2
Danimal

I kept a Clown Loach in my Slider tank for 10+ years. That tank was a 75Gal. 10 is very small though and less forgiving. Wild guess would be not enough filter.
Old 04-23-13, 05:32 PM   #3
TotalDbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
I kept a Clown Loach in my Slider tank for 10+ years. That tank was a 75Gal. 10 is very small though and less forgiving. Wild guess would be not enough filter.
If that's the case, can I upgrade to a 30 gallon filter, until I can gather the money together for the larger tank, and other necessities?
Old 04-23-13, 05:36 PM   #4
smy_749

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalDbag View Post
If that's the case, can I upgrade to a 30 gallon filter, until I can gather the money together for the larger tank, and other necessities?
You don't have a clown loach, so you won't need as large of a tank. I still think you need more space, 10 gallons is very small.

grab a 29 gallon or something at the 1 $ per gallon sales at petco, and a filter , done.
Old 04-23-13, 05:42 PM   #5
TotalDbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by smy_749 View Post
You don't have a clown loach, so you won't need as large of a tank. I still think you need more space, 10 gallons is very small.

grab a 29 gallon or something at the 1 $ per gallon sales at petco, and a filter , done.
I also need a heater. Well I guess the tank will have to sit on the floor, until I can get a stand. Now the question is, what to do with the 10 gallon? Get another snake, or more fish? (thinking neon tetras)
Login to remove ads
Old 04-23-13, 05:48 PM   #6
smy_749

Quote:
I also need a heater. Well I guess the tank will have to sit on the floor, until I can get a stand. Now the question is, what to do with the 10 gallon? Get another snake, or more fish? (thinking neon tetras)
Make a planted vivarium out of it with live plants, a little stream, and moss ;P
Old 04-23-13, 05:55 PM   #7
TotalDbag

Can tetras be mixed to make one big school, or do they like to be with their own kind?
Old 04-23-13, 06:09 PM   #8
erichillkeast

Or you could keep the ten gallon running, get a test kit and figure out where you are going wrong, fix it and when the loach outgrowns the tank either upgrade then or take the loach to your LFS.

If I had to take a guess (without knowing your water parameters) the reasonthe second fish died is because of an ammonia spike. Which was caused by the other decaying fish.

IMO if all you do is upgrade to a larger tank without knowing what is going wrong you will just experience the same problem it will just take a bit longer for the problem to show.
Old 04-23-13, 06:13 PM   #9
TotalDbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichillkeast View Post
Or you could keep the ten gallon running, get a test kit and figure out where you are going wrong, fix it and when the loach outgrowns the tank either upgrade then or take the loach to your LFS.

If I had to take a guess (without knowing your water parameters) the reasonthe second fish died is because of an ammonia spike. Which was caused by the other decaying fish.

IMO if all you do is upgrade to a larger tank without knowing what is going wrong you will just experience the same problem it will just take a bit longer for the problem to show.
Wouldn't testing it not be accurate, because I put a neutral regulator in it, and changed the filter cartridge?

I think I prefer the "loach is killing them" answer opposed to the "parasite" answer. Parasite answer sounds a lot harder to fix. But how do I figure out if it's that or not? Water test kit?
Old 04-23-13, 06:44 PM   #10
smy_749

Quote:
Wouldn't testing it not be accurate, because I put a neutral regulator in it, and changed the filter cartridge?

I think I prefer the "loach is killing them" answer opposed to the "parasite" answer. Parasite answer sounds a lot harder to fix. But how do I figure out if it's that or not? Water test kit?
Hahahaa it doesn't matter what you prefer, It won't change the reality. I agree with the poster about the water testing kit, but even if you find out theres something with the water I still advise upgrading.

Also, if he did upgrade to a tank, the amount of waste from his fish would be significantly less in comparison to the new size of the tank - lower levels.

Unless you buy a bunch more fish... then you may be back to square one.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-23-13, 07:00 PM   #11
TotalDbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by smy_749 View Post
Hahahaa it doesn't matter what you prefer, It won't change the reality. I agree with the poster about the water testing kit, but even if you find out theres something with the water I still advise upgrading.

Also, if he did upgrade to a tank, the amount of waste from his fish would be significantly less in comparison to the new size of the tank - lower levels.

Unless you buy a bunch more fish... then you may be back to square one.
I know prefering doesn't do anything, but it makes me feel better for the time being, until I can test it.
I'll probably bring the fish back to schooling numbers. So around 3 more tetras, and 2, or more loaches (depending on size), so he can be comfortable, as others has said. But I don't know what size I'm getting yet, so those numbers will vary.
Old 04-23-13, 08:00 PM   #12
bumblebat

A 10 gallon doesn't have adequate swim space for neon tetras. They're also insanely sensitive to water parameters and need a mature, established tank. It will take 4-6 months before you'll be able to keep them successfully in a 20 gallon minimum.
Old 04-23-13, 08:02 PM   #13
smy_749

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebat View Post
A 10 gallon doesn't have adequate swim space for neon tetras. They're also insanely sensitive to water parameters and need a mature, established tank. It will take 4-6 months before you'll be able to keep them successfully in a 20 gallon minimum.
I stand corrected... my bad lol
Old 04-23-13, 08:29 PM   #14
TotalDbag

Ok, in that case, I'm just going to get another snake, or something that's not a fish.
Old 04-23-13, 09:24 PM   #15
Pareeeee
Forum Moderator

Cant think of any snake you can put in a 10 gal...except maybe a dekay snake? Not sure, would need more than just my input.

What about a betta? Or a couple female bettas?
Crabs
Newts
Instagram: pareeeee17
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread