border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-13, 07:31 AM   #31
Falconeer999

Re: fish for beginner

I have a 10 gallon tank I've been running for 3 years. Currently I have 1 angel fish (he grew fast and really needs a 20+ gallon tank), 2 tiger barbs, 3 tetras, 3 GloFish (is a zebra fish with jellyfish DNA to make them different bright colors), and an algae eater. Tank is stocked with 3 or 4 different varieties of live plants. I have an Aquaclear filter that's good for up to a 20 gallon tank. I used to have a heater in the tank but I took it out about 8 months ago when I was having some sudden algae problems. Water temperature stays pretty constant between 73-75 degrees and all the fish are doing fine so I've kept it out.

At one point, I had 2 female bettas in there - they did NOT get along at all. One was already bigger than the other when I tried to introduce them. The larger one would chase the smaller one all around the tank and nip at her fins (but she wouldn't chase any of the other smaller fish - weird). I put a mesh divider in the tank and let them get used to each other. They would flare constantly for the first 2 weeks or so, then it petered off. After around 3 or 4 months I took the divider out and they were perfectly fine and would sometimes "school" like the other species would, though not too often.

Edit: I've had a horrible time with dwarf African frogs. They never last more than 2 or 3 months. I've had them in the 10 gallon tank and in a separate 2.5 gallon tank. I just have no luck with them.
Old 01-04-13, 07:43 AM   #32
Aresplimpot

get neon tetras ) they're very striking in appearance and hardy in my opinion. And mostly are very cheap too )
Old 01-04-13, 09:01 AM   #33
DOBERMAN

Its funny 'cause I was just thinking in the last couple days, and this morning in fact, of getting back into fish. I had 3 tanks going back in the day- the largest 125gallon with a mix of exotic cichlids. I don't know what types of fish superstores you have in the States, but I would recommend you go down and just check it out for fun. You really can't get a feel for how a certain type of fish looks or its demeanor by just opinion or pictures. I've found up here (Big Al's in my location), there are a few guys that work at the stores that really are hard core fish keepers with tons of expertise to ask questions and get advice from.
Most anything with great colour is going to be tropical and require heat ('cept for betas and goldfish for example)
It has been mentioned a couple times already in this thread though - neon tetras. I've had lots of different fish but I still have an affinity towards these little gaffers. And with a ten gallon you can get a few because they are small. I just like the look and colour of them and they aren't overly finicky like say cichlids and they are cheap if you need to replace.
But like I said, going down to view hundreds of tanks and selection is a fun day trip in its self.
Old 01-04-13, 09:03 AM   #34
dinosaurdammit

Send a message via Skype™ to dinosaurdammit

these guys

I LOVE THEM, they are pretty interactive fish and like small groups of 3. You can get them as weeeee baby fish and they are kinda slow growers and easy to care for and in my experience almost near hard to even bother or kill.
Old 01-04-13, 12:13 PM   #35
jarich

I really enjoyed keeping clown loaches when I had my aquariums. They are very cute and active little fish.
Old 01-04-13, 01:43 PM   #36
GarterPython
Young and Wise

I have a baby clown loach in my tank and he is awesome. Cruises along the ground I love him.
Old 01-04-13, 01:45 PM   #37
alessia55
Retired Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alessia55

I like the look of the clown loaches too! Can I have one or two of these bottom dwelling fish and other fish that swim further up?
Old 01-04-13, 01:48 PM   #38
jarich

Yep, they live together well. I had a bunch of blue rams with mine and they lived together very well. If you have sand substrate the loaches like to dig too
Old 01-04-13, 01:48 PM   #39
GarterPython
Young and Wise

I have 1 in my tank with like 10 guppys who are having babies and are still fine. My tank is currently in my wall. I don't know how big it is but I have about 10 guppys, 1 clown loach, some panda fish that I don't know the name of and a patriot crab.And I realise that when the clown loache gets bigger I have to take him out of the tank with the guppys but he is still just a small baby.
Old 01-04-13, 04:59 PM   #40
EmilyS

I definitely wouldn't get clown loaches. They like schools and need HUGE tanks, like 75 gallons. I'd also stay away from the cory posted above, as they need 30 gallons. Mollies need that ads well.

I cannot think of any more fish that would fit into a 10 gallon. Most are either too active or get too big.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-04-13, 05:25 PM   #41
alessia55
Retired Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alessia55

Ok so what kind of cories (?) can I get? I like the way they look, but no clue what kind I should be looking for. How many? what other fish can live with them?
Old 01-04-13, 06:05 PM   #42
BryanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
Good old goldfish. Idk who said one fish per gallon but if people say that it must be a very vague rule. Imagine 10 tuna in your tank. It really depends on the species. I have a lion and moray eel in a 25 and that's way too small for them... Are you only considering fresh water?
The general rule is one inch of fish per gallon not one fish per gallon
Old 01-04-13, 06:40 PM   #43
jarich

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyS View Post
I definitely wouldn't get clown loaches. They like schools and need HUGE tanks, like 75 gallons. I'd also stay away from the cory posted above, as they need 30 gallons. Mollies need that ads well.

I cannot think of any more fish that would fit into a 10 gallon. Most are either too active or get too big.
Oops! I gave the wrong name. It was Kuhli loaches I meant. They are cute and stay nice and small, around 3 or 4 inches long. They are also great bottom feeders so they keep the tank nice and clean. Here is a picture
Old 01-04-13, 06:41 PM   #44
EmilyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by alessia55 View Post
Ok so what kind of cories (?) can I get? I like the way they look, but no clue what kind I should be looking for. How many? what other fish can live with them?
The only cories that'll fit into a 10 gallon are pygmies and pandas. You'll want to get around 6, as they like to school.
Old 01-04-13, 06:41 PM   #45
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanB View Post
The general rule is one inch of fish per gallon not one fish per gallon
That's an OKAY rule. I find it's about the bioload of the animals in the tank and how it's set up.

I had a live planted five gallon tank that was highly stocked of guppies and endlers. I think I placed 5 in there original and it was easily 20 of them within a few short months. I did remove bigger animals though to bigger tanks but still the tank thrived due to the way it was set up.

Personally, I had a 10 gallon at one time for my daughter. I tried to keep it really basic and intermix species but I found to give them the proper requirements required more room or different things. In such a small area I would stick to the most basic of animals.

Guppies, danios and some tetras or barbs. Cherry barbs pop out to me.

If I did it again, I would do a dwarf gourami, a trio of cherry barbs and 4 - 6 khouli loaches.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread