Honduran Red Point Convict

(Archocentrus nigrofasciatus)

Bristlenose Plecostomus

(Ancistrus sp{?})
Login to remove ads
Old 04-13-11, 05:30 PM   #2
mistersprinkles

Re: Fish!

Bolivian Ram (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus)

Anubias 1705 (plant)

Common cory
(Corydoras aeneus)

Pseudotropheus acei (no common name)

Old 04-13-11, 05:31 PM   #3
mistersprinkles

Same fish (growing)

Adult
Old 04-13-11, 05:34 PM   #4
mistersprinkles

I don't remember what these are called right now... ... ...

Metriaclima barlowi/Labidochromis caeruleus X

Trumpet snail and Assassin snail together

SAJ.mp4 video by 111olbap - Photobucket

CCCC.mp4 video by 111olbap - Photobucket
Archocentrus cross
Old 04-13-11, 05:40 PM   #5
mistersprinkles

Tanganyikan Goby

Movie_0001-3.mp4 video by 111olbap - Photobucket
courting

Paracyprichromis nigripinnis

Cherry shrimp

Movie.mp4 video by 111olbap - Photobucket
Puntius odessa
Login to remove ads
Old 04-13-11, 06:20 PM   #6
mistersprinkles

The fish I couldn't remember the name of is Othopharynx lithobates
Old 04-13-11, 08:05 PM   #7
belovedboas

Beautiful fish my friend. I have a few parrot fish which are a type of siclid but that's about it!! never quite got into fish keeping I do find it quite amazing how beautiful some tanks are setup though

Greg
Old 04-14-11, 08:07 AM   #8
mistersprinkles

Parrot's are a cichlid hybrid between a couple of different cichlids. It's not an actual fish it's man made. Red devil x severum. They've crossed in flowerhorn and convict cichlid now and the resulting 'jellybean parrot' is fertile so they don't have to make them in test tubes like they used to.
Old 04-14-11, 08:13 AM   #9
belovedboas

I was just saying i own a few lmao

Greg
Old 04-14-11, 10:31 AM   #10
mistersprinkles

I was just giving you background info
Login to remove ads
Old 04-14-11, 11:52 AM   #11
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Nice fish. I really dig the cichlids and the rams!

My partner and I have a 55 gallon tank with 4 frontosa's and 4 yellow labs. It also harbours 3 cory cats, a gold algae eater and a clown loach. A couple of zebra snails as well.

Our 5 gallon has some assassin snails and a zebra snail with a large number of guppies and endlers and guppy endler hybrids.

My daughter has a 20 gallon with giant danios, a pearl danio, dwarf fire gourami, clown loach, 4 cory cats and some guppy/endler hybrids.

We also have a 10 gallon with a single tiger barb. He was beat up with an old red tail black shark tank mate so he's by himself until he's better.
Old 04-14-11, 12:37 PM   #12
mistersprinkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
Nice fish. I really dig the cichlids and the rams!

My partner and I have a 55 gallon tank with 4 frontosa's and 4 yellow labs. It also harbours 3 cory cats, a gold algae eater and a clown loach. A couple of zebra snails as well.
That is horribly wrong for so many reasons. You're keeping the equivalent of a bearded dragon and a GTP together.

Frontosa= pH > 8 gH > 9 temp 79

Clown Loach pH < 7 (CRITICAL) gH < 6 (CRITICAL) temp 85 (SUPER critical)

Your clown loaches will never reach full size and will eventually peter out and die. Frontosas stunt and do not live their full life span unless they are kept in a minimum six foot by two foot tank. Ideally eight foot by 18" as they can exceed 12". Clownloaches, similarly, can exceed 12".

Also, cory cats should not be kept in groups smaller than 12 for their psychological wellbeing.

What you need to do is remove everything that's incompatible with what you want to keep, and clown loach and frontosa are not on your option list for that size tank. I know a lot of people say otherwise. I gave a lecture at a zoo and worked in the aquarium section in a petshop and was also good friends with a renowned expert on loaches who has written several books (Martin Thoene, Clown loaches, TFH). I know what I'm talking about. In any event you also have to lose the golden algae eater by when it hits full size as it will become aggressive to other fish. They eat other fish's skin when they are adults, not algae.

Humane options:

Keep the yellow labs, build a tank around them, add other compatible fish, like another group of mbuna from lake malawi. You want to go to Cichlid-Forum.com and post in the lake malawi section. Good choices would be several different male peacocks and a couple of synodontis catfish.

Option B:

Keep corys. Add 10 more. Build a south american tank. Add a pair of angel fish, a trio of rams, and a group of tetras.

In Toronto if you want to go south american you want to talk to Harold at Menagerie Petshop. Parliament and Wellesley. If you want to go African Cichlids, talk to Mike at Finatics on Kennedy south of Eglinton. Harold can also help you set up the proper environment to grow plants if you're interested.

My daughter has a 20 gallon with giant danios, a pearl danio, dwarf fire gourami, clown loach, 4 cory cats and some guppy/endler hybrids.

danios are too fast for gouramis and frighten them. Clown loaches in a 20 gallon is cruel. This setup would get you kicked off a lot of fish forums if you even mentioned it. You REALLY need to get it together because the setups you have are not conducive to good health or calm animals. I've bred more fish than most people have kept and many people consider me an expert. You're not doing nice things for your fish.

This is the proper way to keep fish

Movie_0007.mp4 video by 111olbap - Photobucket

You put things together that don't bother eachother.

Movie_0001-2.mp4 video by 111olbap - Photobucket

Here at 34 seconds, the baby nanoluteus gets too close to the black paradise, and the black paradise wiggles to inform it, and the nano leans away in submission. That's the most 'fighting' you should ever see.

Movie_0009.mp4 video by 111olbap - Photobucket

Here at 20 seconds, the bristlenose pleco has had enough of the nano stealing it's food, and opens its tail as a threat. Since the fish both speak the same language, the nano understands and goes away. Fish speak several distinct languages both in clicks which are inaudible to humans and with body language. A malawi cichlid's 'get lost or I will hurt you' is a convict cichlids 'i want to mate'. This causes MANY beat up convicts when they are kept in malawi tanks.

Sometimes things outright kill eachother. Assassins won't kill trumpets. They will kill ramshorns. If I put ramshorn snails in there that'd be irresponsible.

Last edited by mistersprinkles; 04-14-11 at 12:48 PM..
Old 04-14-11, 12:51 PM   #13
Reptile_Reptile
You can call me JR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersprinkles View Post
Parrot's are a cichlid hybrid between a couple of different cichlids. It's not an actual fish it's man made. Red devil x severum. They've crossed in flowerhorn and convict cichlid now and the resulting 'jellybean parrot' is fertile so they don't have to make them in test tubes like they used to.
um i think if its a fish its a fish no matter how it came to be.
beautiful fish tho thanks for sharing
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. -John Lennon
Old 04-14-11, 01:14 PM   #14
mistersprinkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile_Reptile View Post
um i think if its a fish its a fish no matter how it came to be.
beautiful fish tho thanks for sharing
Fish hobbyists will jump down your throat for supporting hybrid fish. We're losing pure blood very quickly.

While reptile hobbyists have always sought to propogate new color morphs and hybrids, it has always been frowned upon in fish. There are a lot of reasons for this- many more fish kept in captivity than reptiles are extinct or extant in the wild making the aquisition of new pure blood impossible. We're losing the cherry barb, for example. It is extinct in the wild and once the gene pool peters out it'll be gone forever.
Old 04-14-11, 01:16 PM   #15
Reptile_Reptile
You can call me JR

im not supporting anything just saying its still a fish man made or not haha. why cant fish just be reintroduced into the wild not trying to debate jw
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. -John Lennon
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread