sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-04, 12:31 AM   #1
Manitoban Herps

Send a message via MSN to Manitoban Herps
Surprise!

I used to came tons of fish and my room was plasterd with aquariums full of fish, my room is still plasterd with aquariums but with herps not fish. Any who, my mom came home with a stunning betta tonight that a friend at her work didn't want. I just want to know some care tips on this guy.

The person who had this guy put conditineor in the water, is that nessasary?

Are these guys hard to breed?
Login to remove ads
Old 12-29-04, 05:47 AM   #2
BOAS_N_PYTHONS

KEVIN:

You can use conditioners (aquarium products) to treat the water or you can simply age some water (either letting it sit in a container for next use in a water change, or fresh water hours before sitting as well but using an air stone to stir up the water and force some evaporation). Both methods work on a small or large scale aquarium. If you leave enough water say 30% and the filter is not cleaned completely sterile then 70% fresh new water will not harm the fish.

As for bettas breeding I have no clue, I only delt in Discus fish for breeding.

Goodluck.

Tony Pharosx
Old 12-29-04, 08:48 AM   #3
Manitoban Herps

Send a message via MSN to Manitoban Herps
Thanks, makes me happy do get a fish again, we have a 55 gallon in our living room with an large unknown catfish, a large pleco and a 7 inche tiger oscar, plenty of room still but there is nothing we can put in the tank without it being killed.

Maybe a female oscar?
Old 12-29-04, 10:13 AM   #4
emkovar

Check out the sister site to ssnakess, www.allthingsaquatic.com for all your fishie needs
Old 01-18-05, 04:24 PM   #5
VI Reptiles
Banned

wow, I never knew there was a sister site to ssnakess.com! Cool!

VI Reptiles
Login to remove ads
Old 02-17-05, 08:44 AM   #6
pablo111

Quote:
Originally posted by Manitoban Herps
Thanks, makes me happy do get a fish again, we have a 55 gallon in our living room with an large unknown catfish, a large pleco and a 7 inche tiger oscar, plenty of room still but there is nothing we can put in the tank without it being killed.

Maybe a female oscar?
You have absolutely NO room in that 55.

Just because there is physical "space" doesnt mean more fish.

You guys REALLY dont know anything about aquariums on this forum :P

Stick to snakes ya herp freaks
Old 02-17-05, 08:46 AM   #7
pablo111

Most water supplies use chloramine, which means letting the water sit is NOT enough. Add water conditioner accordingly. I suggest Tetra Aquasafe or Seachem Prime.

Make sure you draw identical temperature water from your tap. Dont over feed, change 50% of the water atleast every 2 days if possible- bettas are more fragile than you think.
Old 02-17-05, 09:00 AM   #8
Ducksarefun

bettas do best in still water. A filter stirs up the water a bit too much (unless you have him in a big tank). You definately want to get the chlorine from your tap water out of the water before you introduce it to the fish. Don't change any more than 50% of the water. I used to change mine every second day - probably about 25% or 30%.

Bettas breathe air, so the top of the tank (or whatever you have it in) should not be closed. If it's a male, he will build bubble nests on the surface of the water. This is normal, and is actually a sign he is comfortable.
Old 02-17-05, 09:05 AM   #9
marisa

Send a message via ICQ to marisa Send a message via MSN to marisa Send a message via Yahoo to marisa
Although the lid should not be closed, you must have some form of lid. Bettas are known for tank jumping.

Marisa
Old 02-17-05, 09:18 AM   #10
pablo111

Quote:
Originally posted by Ducksarefun
bettas do best in still water. A filter stirs up the water a bit too much (unless you have him in a big tank). You definately want to get the chlorine from your tap water out of the water before you introduce it to the fish. Don't change any more than 50% of the water. I used to change mine every second day - probably about 25% or 30%.

Bettas breathe air, so the top of the tank (or whatever you have it in) should not be closed. If it's a male, he will build bubble nests on the surface of the water. This is normal, and is actually a sign he is comfortable.
Actually they do alright in a slight current as well. The bottom line is that you want the fish in the cleanest water possible. If you have a very low flow filter on a reasonable size tank (like a 15GPH red sea nano on a 5 or 10G) you can still have a reasonable amount of biological filtration, certainly enough to process what the betta produces, to prevent the presense of ammonia and nitrate and properly cycle the tank. (See? Think reptiles are hard now? :P)

There can not be bilogical filtration if there is no water movement, and therefore no oxygen. Just jam Aquaclear sponge in that filter, you'll never have to change it.

Also remember, a betta eats very little, but should get a varied diet. two or three little blood worms, and two hikari betta pellets are a reasonable day's meal.
Old 02-17-05, 09:50 AM   #11
Thrush

Send a message via MSN to Thrush
yes, I agree with Pablo, You should definitely use a water conditioner that removes chloramine if you live in a city that treats its water. Letting the water sit will only evaporate chlorine. I also agree that the betta should have sufficient surface area at the top of its tank/bowl, and that a filter is not necessary since they like more still water. Just don't fill the tank too full to prevent suicide jumps!
Good luck,
Please don't put it with the oscar!!
Thrush
Old 02-19-05, 07:45 PM   #12
Rikki
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Rikki Send a message via Yahoo to Rikki
Bettas like still water and do horrible in community tanks. I have spawned bettas for years, please let me know if you are still interested!
Old 02-19-05, 08:14 PM   #13
SnakeyeZ

Send a message via ICQ to SnakeyeZ Send a message via MSN to SnakeyeZ
The minimum requirments for an oscar itself..is 60 gallons..mines alone in his 75 gal, and lovin it. I know a tad about fish :P
Old 02-19-05, 08:16 PM   #14
CHRISANDBOIDS14

Send a message via MSN to CHRISANDBOIDS14
"still interested?" Rikki, your gonna ship bettas to him or something? "years", how many? Your 14.

Knowledge I have aquired about bettas:
Bettas, in nature, come from stagnant ponds/pools. They prefer no current but will take a small amount(as in the example by pablo). And as previously stated, a varied diet

With any fish, you should use a water conditioner. IME, Seachem's PRIME is the best stuff to use. You should have a lid to prevent death by jumping, and also to prevent junk from getting into the betta's "bowl"(or tank or whatever).

I would do a 20-40% Water change weekly. Try to get the change water to the same temperature as the water already in the tank/container/bowl.

Dont feed alot, you dont want to cause huge amounts of ammonia(and nitrite and nitrate) in the....container.

Unless the temperature is below 72, dont worry about adding a heater. They do best with a temperature of 75-80 though.

Good luck, and congrats!

C.
Old 02-19-05, 08:50 PM   #15
Rikki
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Rikki Send a message via Yahoo to Rikki
What are you talking about?! I was asking him if he still wanted information about breeding bettas, sheesh! Also, I am 15 years old and I have spawned bettas since the age of 12. I have shipped bettas all across america. I cannot stand seeing people like you acting as if you know the situation, when you cannot even get the situation right. And you act as age has a single thing to do with it, you must be one of those people against younger people in the hobby

I keep Thai Butterfiles, plakats, and much more. I know what I am doing man...
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread