border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-14, 01:53 PM   #16
psychocircus

Re: 30gal Saltwater tankmates ???

If you go 55/75 FOWLR you can add more fish than you would a 55/75 reef. (although you can keep adding things to your reef throughout the tanks life, whereas FOWLR you are more limited.)

If I were to set up a 55 FOWLR (and considering your desire for clowns) I'd probably do something like:

If I wanted large fish:
2 Maroon Clowns
1 Dwarf Fuzzy Lionfish
1 Dwarf Angel

If I wanted smaller fish:
2 ocellaris clowns
1 six line wrasse
1 dwarf angel
1 Yellow tail damsel
1 goby

People will tell you that damsels are very aggressive and they're right. IME the yellow tails are the exception.

Of course you have limitless options, but I like those lists.
Old 02-05-14, 04:36 PM   #17
swolek

I agree with everyone saying bigger is better, it always is when it comes to saltwater!

I still believe a flameback angel is fine in a 30-gallon but that's just my opinion. I wouldn't house any other angels in a tank that size except for the Cherub (which are similar anyway). But yeah, you can't have many fish in a 30-gallon.

I wouldn't do maroon clowns, they're complete jerks in my experience. I would stick to the ocellaris or try skunk clowns.

As far as damsels go, yeah, the yellow tails are nice. But everyone always forgets the poor Springer's damsel, haha, they're the other peaceful damsel! Pictures don't do them justice, they literally glow when they're excited!
Other: 1.0 Red-cheeked mud turtle, 0.1 Crested gecko
Old 02-05-14, 04:41 PM   #18
psychocircus

Quote:
Originally Posted by swolek View Post
I agree with everyone saying bigger is better, it always is when it comes to saltwater!

I still believe a flameback angel is fine in a 30-gallon but that's just my opinion. I wouldn't house any other angels in a tank that size except for the Cherub (which are similar anyway). But yeah, you can't have many fish in a 30-gallon.

I wouldn't do maroon clowns, they're complete jerks in my experience. I would stick to the ocellaris or try skunk clowns.

As far as damsels go, yeah, the yellow tails are nice. But everyone always forgets the poor Springer's damsel, haha, they're the other peaceful damsel! Pictures don't do them justice, they literally glow when they're excited!
The maroons sure can be mean. I wouldn't be too worried about an angel or lion with them though
Old 02-05-14, 04:47 PM   #19
IW17

Two maroons are a bad idea. They are one species of clown fish that is not recommended in pairs. You'd be fine with one but add it last so other fish establish territory first. But be ready to remove the maroon clown if he starts beating up his tank mates.
Old 02-05-14, 05:23 PM   #20
dbank999

I understand that it takes awhile to get it established and that adding tank mates is a lengthy process to allow for acclimation so my list may change as I go along but for a plan, with the advice given, how would this work:

For a 55 gallon setup
The 2 clowns
1 six line wrasse
1 goby
1/2 beginner corals (polyp and maybe LPS)
And the inverts listed before

Opinions?
Login to remove ads
Old 02-05-14, 07:09 PM   #21
IW17

Looks good. Just stick with suitable species of clown. But keep in mind, not all clowns pair regardless of species. And removing a bully fish out of a large tank with that much live rock is a freakin chore. Trust me I've been there done that. The only way to be certain of a pairing is to purchase a mated pair. This can be costly. Not saying it won't work. Honestly I would just buy two clowns and wing it. But you should know what can happen. If you purchase one large and one small it clears up a pecking order and if it wasn't already the large will turn female. The six line is another bully species. I have no problem with mine, but the are notoriously Aggressive. Again, not trying to talk you out of it, just wanna put it out there.

As for corals you should let your tank run for at least three months before adding coral. Some say even longer. The biggest part is making sure your water quality is on part. My advice would be adding mushrooms, zoa's, Kenya tree and star polyps. They all grow quickly and are tolerant of less than stellar water quality. They will help dress up the tank while you wait. And when I say the grow fast I mean it. In 6 months they will explode, so less is more when starting out. Stick to frags, and spread them out. Before you know it you will be cutting frags yourself.
Old 02-05-14, 08:02 PM   #22
psychocircus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbank999 View Post
I understand that it takes awhile to get it established and that adding tank mates is a lengthy process to allow for acclimation so my list may change as I go along but for a plan, with the advice given, how would this work:

For a 55 gallon setup
The 2 clowns
1 six line wrasse
1 goby
1/2 beginner corals (polyp and maybe LPS)
And the inverts listed before

Opinions?
You could definitely add another fish or two, as the one's you've listed are small. Although with less fish, it is easier to maintain water quality. I currently only have 3 fish in my 75.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IW17 View Post
Looks good. Just stick with suitable species of clown. But keep in mind, not all clowns pair regardless of species. And removing a bully fish out of a large tank with that much live rock is a freakin chore. Trust me I've been there done that. The only way to be certain of a pairing is to purchase a mated pair. This can be costly. Not saying it won't work. Honestly I would just buy two clowns and wing it. But you should know what can happen. If you purchase one large and one small it clears up a pecking order and if it wasn't already the large will turn female. The six line is another bully species. I have no problem with mine, but the are notoriously Aggressive. Again, not trying to talk you out of it, just wanna put it out there.

As for corals you should let your tank run for at least three months before adding coral. Some say even longer. The biggest part is making sure your water quality is on part. My advice would be adding mushrooms, zoa's, Kenya tree and star polyps. They all grow quickly and are tolerant of less than stellar water quality. They will help dress up the tank while you wait. And when I say the grow fast I mean it. In 6 months they will explode, so less is more when starting out. Stick to frags, and spread them out. Before you know it you will be cutting frags yourself.
I agree with the beginner corals. Be careful with mushrooms though. They spread like wildfire and are near impossible to kill. They can eventually grow over other corals and kill them. With a change in flow/lighting they will detach from the rock and go to another.
Old 02-05-14, 09:58 PM   #23
IW17

Yes they can grow quickly. Same with Kenya trees. One day nothing, then very quickly an explosion. But it's not like a fish that you have to chase. You can just reach in and pull them out. I do that to mine abut once every 4-6 weeks.
Old 02-07-14, 10:51 AM   #24
dbank999

Okay so upon further research, I think I will be buying a Clear-for-life 60 gallon acrylic aquarium (48''x15''x20'')

This way I can use the 30 gallon for a homemade sump underneath the DT, and with the acrylic, I can easily drill for bulkheads and plumbing. Since the tank is on the smaller side, I want to be able to hide all the running equipment underneath.

I'm going to stick with the current plans for stocking that I most recently described, and I will add later if I feel like it.

For corals, I was thinking radioactive dragon eye, trumpet coral and the kenya tree.

I also plan to have a refugarium in the sump, with a octo reef nwb110 skimmer, and possibly some extra mechanical filtration, I know these filter catridges can become nitrate factories if not cleaned religously.
Old 02-07-14, 11:09 AM   #25
swolek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbank999 View Post
I also plan to have a refugarium in the sump, with a octo reef nwb110 skimmer, and possibly some extra mechanical filtration, I know these filter catridges can become nitrate factories if not cleaned religously.
Yeah, I personally wouldn't bother with mechanical filtration. It's totally unnecessary and any nitrates are not good for a reef set-up. If you want more water movement, use power heads, not filters.
Other: 1.0 Red-cheeked mud turtle, 0.1 Crested gecko
Login to remove ads
Old 02-07-14, 11:30 AM   #26
psychocircus

Agreed. if you have a skimmer, don't use mechanical filtration.
Old 02-07-14, 02:58 PM   #27
dbank999

Quote:
Originally Posted by swolek View Post
Yeah, I personally wouldn't bother with mechanical filtration. It's totally unnecessary and any nitrates are not good for a reef set-up. If you want more water movement, use power heads, not filters.

Yeah, I was probably going to skip any mechanical filtration, but was slightly considering it. It would be the last added to the system since for a while since I will be only cycling the tank with live rock until the nitrite levels peak and drop for a month or two.

I will be using powerheads for added flow since the skimmer and filter would have been in the sump (this flow does not help with turnover in the DT since it is isolated in the sump setup.)

I'm thinking:
2 in-tank Hydor 600gph powerheads (1200 gph)
And I will engineer up an overflow system to obtain the other 1000-1200 gph for a 36-40x turnover rate.
I want a higher turnover rate due to presence of corals that will be in the tank.

I ran through a bernoulli's continuity equation real quick at work just now and I got 1" for a drain pipe, at 33" of head from inlet to outlet.

But I need to double check these figures when I have more since it was a quick look on my break.

Any suggestions feel free to add!

NO HOB siphon boxes please.
Old 02-07-14, 03:27 PM   #28
psychocircus

sounds like you are on the right track!
Old 02-07-14, 06:47 PM   #29
DragonsEye

A cool invert would be a mantis shrimp. Unfortunately, you would not be able to keep any other critters in the tank with one from what I understand.

Look forward to seeing whatever you decide upon.
Old 02-07-14, 08:56 PM   #30
psychocircus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonsEye View Post
A cool invert would be a mantis shrimp. Unfortunately, you would not be able to keep any other critters in the tank with one from what I understand.

Look forward to seeing whatever you decide upon.
fascinating animals. they have armor stronger than a tanks, snap their claw with more powerful that a 45 caliber bullet, and it produces heat hotter than the surface of the sun.

but yeah they'll kill everything lol
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread