border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-08, 06:07 PM   #1
PDXErik

Iris containers?

I found some Iris containers. They are 5.5"h x 10"w x 15"d and $1.99 each.

This looked too good to be true. They have feet on them that are about 3/16" high. I have one on a UTH (a non-sticky one I don't know what they're called) and it seems to be a pretty good setup. The temps look right and it's not melting anyway.

Anyone have a caveat? I want to buy the store out of them if they are good.

I'm looking to set up for neonates that I hope to have in April or so.

TIA
Login to remove ads
Old 11-16-08, 01:33 AM   #2
PDXErik

Re: Iris containers?

The sale was ending today so I bit the bullet and did it. The $1.99 ones were 5.6 qt at 4 5/16h x 8 1/16" w x 13 9/16 d

I wound up spending just over fifty bucks on 36 of them. With any luck, I'll need them all.

Now all I need is 28 soldering irons and a jig so I can just pop one in and make 28 holes at the same time.

I'll send pictures when I have my 5'x4'x2' 36 enclosure structure done.
Old 11-16-08, 06:46 AM   #3
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Sounds fairly interesting.
Old 11-16-08, 09:53 AM   #4
LadyParvati

OK, I'm lost. Iris containers? I can only think of Iris the flowering plant . . . or iris in the eye . . . and neither seems quite right in our broader context. Please enlighten me, oh wise ones!
Old 11-16-08, 04:15 PM   #5
PDXErik

Iris is some company making Sterilite/Rubbermaid style storage and sweater boxes. There doesn't seem to be much difference between Sterilite and Iris (but I'm not a chemist) except that these are pretty clear and the Sterilite that I'm used to seeing is pretty foggy.

I have not been able to find an Iris USA website, but if you google "iris storage containers" you'll come up with some Amazon and other sundry results. They are made in the USA, though, and I like that, too.

They seem to hold up to the required heat and don't have any unusual odors or fumes when heated.

A pack of four 5.6 qt was $6.99 ($1.75 each), too much to pass up. They look fine for keeping neos in until they're ready to be set free outside (or sold to someone, whichever will help support my habit).
Login to remove ads
Old 11-16-08, 06:12 PM   #6
PDXErik

Quick question: As opposed to making holes in the containers, can I just build the rack with a 1/16" gap between the top of the boxes and the bottom of the shelf above?

I'm certain that there are reasons that all the rack boxes I've seen have holes in them, but this seems like it would be just as effective and less labor intensive.

There must be a flaw in my logic.

TIA
Old 11-17-08, 07:48 AM   #7
LadyParvati

Holes for ventilation for the snakes to breathe? I'm guessing.

I have one concern related to the heat--even though you can't smell anything yourself, the plastic _does_ outgas when it heats. I used to work for Polyethylene Quality Assurance (a department) in Dow Chemical Company in Freeport, TX. It was very interesting--and very informative! We were making polyethylene for all kinds of uses, including food storage containers and microwave containers. Even though the companies/departments that make the microwave containers say they are perfectly safe, NONE of the chemists working in the polyethylene departments would use them that way, as _they_ did not consider them safe. I was told, "NEVER heat plastic anything in the microwave--it ALWAYS outgasses--into your food."

Anyway, if you can keep the lamp up from the plastic, not directly on it, that will be better, and definitely put holes in the containers for fresh air to circulate into the container. It's pretty easy to do with an ice pick--just heat it in a flame (such as a gas burner on a gas stove, if you have it) and poke it through in multiple places.

You probably already know this or another way that works just as well, so I'll shut up now.
Old 11-17-08, 10:48 AM   #8
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

I prefer the snug fit, as that is what I am doing with my rack system.

Instead of heating an ice pick, I went out and bought a 20 dollar soldering iron from a 'big box' building store. Works like a charm.
Old 11-17-08, 10:55 AM   #9
PDXErik

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyParvati View Post
Holes for ventilation for the snakes to breathe? I'm guessing.

I have one concern related to the heat--even though you can't smell anything yourself, the plastic _does_ outgas when it heats. I used to work for Polyethylene Quality Assurance (a department) in Dow Chemical Company in Freeport, TX. It was very interesting--and very informative! We were making polyethylene for all kinds of uses, including food storage containers and microwave containers. Even though the companies/departments that make the microwave containers say they are perfectly safe, NONE of the chemists working in the polyethylene departments would use them that way, as _they_ did not consider them safe. I was told, "NEVER heat plastic anything in the microwave--it ALWAYS outgasses--into your food."

Anyway, if you can keep the lamp up from the plastic, not directly on it, that will be better, and definitely put holes in the containers for fresh air to circulate into the container. It's pretty easy to do with an ice pick--just heat it in a flame (such as a gas burner on a gas stove, if you have it) and poke it through in multiple places.

You probably already know this or another way that works just as well, so I'll shut up now.
These will be used in a rack system. I have seen a few people on a couple other sites talk about Iris and how much they love them, so I feel pretty confident with their chemistry.

I was thinking of using some LEDs for lighting in the rack system, but decided that the return isn't worth the effort.

I also had a plan to buy 4 of the $10 soldiering irons and set them up in a jig so that I can make four holes at once (36 enclosures at 28 holes each = 1008 holes in all). Maybe I'll buy 8 of them.
Old 11-17-08, 11:03 AM   #10
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Hahahaha enjoy that.

Soldering is so much easier than drilling. Although I tend to get smaller holes than some drills I just add a few more.
Login to remove ads
Old 11-18-08, 07:35 AM   #11
LadyParvati

The jig set sounds like a great idea with so many holes to punch. I've only done one container, not multiple--what a job! Have fun!
Closed Thread

Tags
containers, iris, rack