sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Eublepharis Macularius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-12, 01:15 PM   #1
Dranix Paremoon

Adopting a skinny gecko

Hi,
So I found someone selling a tangerine leopard gecko. They are trying to find someone who can and will help the gecko because it is very skinny and doesn't eat much or at all most of the time.
I looked up how to get geckos to eat, apparently giving them chicken baby food(onion free) and placing some on their nose.
I am up for the challenge of helping the gecko, but I would like some opinions from others on the situation and how to help fasting geckos eat more normally.

Thanks
Old 01-19-12, 01:30 PM   #2
Gungirl
Diesel the pumpkin killer

Re: Adopting a skinny gecko

I think it's more about getting their environment right. Most times an animal won't eat because of the way they are kept. Make sure you have a good set up with proper heat and humidity, adequate hiding places and climbing spots. Once all this is done the animal should start to eat fine unless it has an underlying medical condition.
Old 01-19-12, 01:32 PM   #3
alessia55
Retired Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alessia55

I don't know anything about geckos so I can't give you any advice but kudos to you for agreeing to rescue it and help it regain stable health Good luck, post pics, and keep us updated
Old 01-19-12, 01:35 PM   #4
BarelyBreathing
Varanus Queen

If you wind up getting it, bring it to the vet to test for parasites.
Old 01-19-12, 06:19 PM   #5
Dranix Paremoon

Yeah, I'll certainly do what I can to give it a good environment. The only thing I could tell from the photo's of the guy and his home that probably should be changed is that they have the little one on sand for substrate, which I hear can cause impaction and choking. if it's impaction, that may explain why they aren't eating.
Old 01-19-12, 07:52 PM   #6
beardeds4life

yes and taking to the vet to check for parasites is not needed here is all the stuff to do it your self

full kit...

Do It Yourself Fecal Float Exam Kit

meds...

Panacur Paste Dewormer

I would also get this to help

Carnivore Care

Good luck!
Old 01-20-12, 12:34 AM   #7
Dranix Paremoon

Wow, this looks like a great site, can't believe I never found it before. Thanks
Old 01-20-12, 03:22 AM   #8
ZARADOZIA

If you have to resort to baby food, use Beechnut Turkey & Broth. It's high in protein and does not have any fillers. Gerber has a lot of fillers such as corn starch and they also add dye for coloring. *Read the labels, it's all in black and white*

I would also try baby crickets but first you should gutload them for about 2 days and then freeze them. That way the gecko won't be bitten by them which could lead to it becoming more skittish. Do not freeze a lot of them at once because they will lose their nutritional value over time in the freezer. Start out with just a enough for a week or so.
Old 01-21-12, 10:22 AM   #9
Dranix Paremoon

I'll remember that. Thanks for the advice. Though because I don't have my own car at the moment, I'm not sure the person will give the gecko to me. I told her I may travel there sometime soon, but she's not willing to drive it to me if I give her extra for gas. But she said others were interested in her, so if someone else does get her before I can, I hope they can help her.
Old 01-21-12, 10:49 AM   #10
beardeds4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranix Paremoon View Post
Wow, this looks like a great site, can't believe I never found it before. Thanks
ya I found it on accident it is meant for beardies but all the meds are just reptile meds so
Login to remove ads
Old 01-21-12, 11:06 AM   #11
KORBIN5895
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranix Paremoon View Post
I'll remember that. Thanks for the advice. Though because I don't have my own car at the moment, I'm not sure the person will give the gecko to me. I told her I may travel there sometime soon, but she's not willing to drive it to me if I give her extra for gas. But she said others were interested in her, so if someone else does get her before I can, I hope they can help her.
Where is she located? I have to go to Fredericton this week and moncton really soon. Maybe I can pick otiose for you?
Old 01-21-12, 09:03 PM   #12
Dranix Paremoon

She is located in fredericton If you did want to do that, that would be awesome, and I'd give you some money for the gas too on top of the price of the gecko. You don't have to though, Miramichi is about an hour and a half from freddy or moncton so I'd understand if you didn't want to. But let me know

Tags
feeding, gecko, leopard, skinny, tangerine