border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-17, 07:58 AM   #1
werled

Question how can i see if my snake is readying for a attack

i have a cali kingsnake 1.50 meters. and today i putted my hand in her terraria. and rapidly came towards my hand is this a sign was trying to attack or did she just wanted to sniff.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-22-17, 12:08 PM   #2
Scubadiver59

Re: how can i see if my snake is readying for a attack

Leave your hand in there and find out?

Seriously, I wouldn't do that...my bite marks from my 6ft boa are almost all gone now.

There are some videos on "tap training", "hook training", etc. Watch them or just ask in here about getting your snake to realize that when it sees the hook that it's not feeding time.
Old 07-22-17, 01:01 PM   #3
Jim Smith

One of my Honduran Milk snake will almost always quickly approach me (or more likely the door) when I open his enclosure. He is not afraid of me at all, but he is not trying to attack me, but rather he's looking for a way to escape. When afraid, snakes typcially assume a defensive posture and rise into the classic strike position if they are planning to bite. That said, if you reach in quickly and startle your snake, or grab it, it may instinctively turn and bite often holding on. The bottom line is; do not be afraid of your kingsnake. You will not receive a serious bite from kingsnake, unless you allow it to become infected. Just move slowly and deliberately and your snake should get used to you fairly quickly. Always remain calm when handling your snake and allow it to "crawl" through your hands by moving your other hand out in front to support the snake. No sudden movements and never squeeze your snake to restrict it's movement unless it is an emergency. Stay calm, move slowly and it will be just fine.
Old 07-22-17, 01:42 PM   #4
Tiny Boidae

My rat snake does that whenever anyone but me opens the enclosure. I'm out of town right now but my step dad's taking care of the snakes. First couple of times he opened the cage to change the water or clean up poop, Al Capone rushed him. Didn't bite anyone, but he was probably a little startled. Doesn't do it with me, but he does usually poke his head out of his hide to see what I'm doing. He just likes supervising whatever you're doing. Just no sudden movements and don't touch the snake, and I don't think he'd bite you.
Old 07-22-17, 02:14 PM   #5
dannybgoode

Snakes rarely attack non-food intruders. They defend themselves against threats. If it is actively coming toward you it is unlikely it is to attack you rather than to check you out.

You'll know if it's thinking of striking as it will generally get itself into an S shape down the next in readiness.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Login to remove ads
Old 07-22-17, 04:34 PM   #6
Scubadiver59

That's my CP to a tee, it's always wound up in the 's'...however, my Boa did no such thing last Monday. Go figure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybgoode View Post
Snakes rarely attack non-food intruders. They defend themselves against threats. If it is actively coming toward you it is unlikely it is to attack you rather than to check you out.

You'll know if it's thinking of striking as it will generally get itself into an S shape down the next in readiness.
Old 07-22-17, 05:32 PM   #7
SerpentineDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybgoode View Post
I call it the "S for Strike" position. No good ever comes from that.
0.1 Hog Island Boa, 0.1 Woma Python, 2.3 Ball Pythons, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.1 Western Hognoses, 4.6 Corns, 1.1 Mexican Milks, 2.2 Black Milks, 1.1 CA Kings, 1.1 CA Red-Sided Garters, 2.3 Trans-Pecos Rats, 2.2 Russian Rats, 1.0 Olive House Snake
Old 07-22-17, 06:08 PM   #8
TRD

Maybe he's hungry and hoping for food.

Defensive kingsnakes curl up with the head in a typical S-shape risen above the ground like this;

Also they may slam or rattle their tail into the ground.

When a snake comes out rapidly when there's movement, it's usually hungry. These snakes do not attack, they only defend, or at least I never saw any kingsnake going on the offense.. actually there's not many snakes that truly go into the offensive... usually it's all defense and get the heck away when they can.
Old 07-23-17, 03:57 AM   #9
dannybgoode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD View Post
Maybe he's hungry and hoping for food.

Defensive kingsnakes curl up with the head in a typical S-shape risen above the ground like this;

Also they may slam or rattle their tail into the ground.

When a snake comes out rapidly when there's movement, it's usually hungry. These snakes do not attack, they only defend, or at least I never saw any kingsnake going on the offense.. actually there's not many snakes that truly go into the offensive... usually it's all defense and get the heck away when they can.
Really annoys me when people describe a snake as aggressive. As you say very few snake are actively and intentionally aggressive.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 07-23-17, 07:56 AM   #10
BillyCostume

Sometimes they just think you're a tasty snack and don't give much of a warning
Login to remove ads
Old 07-23-17, 08:18 AM   #11
REM955

Aspidites seems a bit different, they seem to be "testing" things that might be food. There are a couple recorded instances of them just grabbing then letting go, not always as above.
I have yet to witness this personally as my own Woma gives any food I put in her cage a 5 minute death stare before eating.
Old 07-23-17, 09:05 AM   #12
BillyCostume

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM955 View Post
Aspidites seems a bit different, they seem to be "testing" things that might be food. There are a couple recorded instances of them just grabbing then letting go, not always as above.
I have yet to witness this personally as my own Woma gives any food I put in her cage a 5 minute death stare before eating.
Yeah that's definitely the case, it's not so much of a feeding response, more of a "can I eat this" he doesn't strike. He a funny little bugger, I'll have him out for a few minutes then he decides to give my fingers a taste. He does normally let go after a couple of seconds this time though he seemed rather convinced I was edible.
Old 07-23-17, 11:40 AM   #13
Captain837

Our 3 womas taste everything they can including the hook and sometimes themselves by accident. One female has wrapped my fingers/hand a few times and only lets go when she realizes I am too big to swallow.
I tried tap training with all 3 of them which had very little success. I found out by accident the best approach was to hook them and place them in a container outside their cage and keep them in it for about 5 minutes. After this I can pick them up with my hands without issue.
The only thing I can guess is the change in environment moves them from feeding mode to exploration mode.

Tags
reptile keeping, snake