border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > New to the forum?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-17, 10:04 AM   #1
LightHawk

Thumbs up Hello everyone

hi everyone! new to the forums here.

I have never kept any reptile in my life but im super intrested in snakes.
I always try to do research on species, habitats and snake keeping in general since I want the best for the pets I would own.
I have been to reptile conventions and held multible species of snakes, of which the largest was an non-adult retic (Python reticulatus) and it was amazing!

Species im really into right now are colombian rainbow boa`s (Epicrates maurus ) and macklots pythons (Liasis mackloti mackloti) but im always up for suggestions of new awesome species!

reasons why I am really intrested ,in set species, are:
  • about 6 feet ( 1.8 meters ) not to large yet not to big in my opinion.
  • love the brown colours in combination with there whitish bellies.
  • not to heavy bodied.
  • as far as I understand not picky eaters.
  • and I love their beautyfull eyes!

I hope to learn a lot of new things about the hobby on this forum!
Login to remove ads
Old 11-07-17, 01:58 PM   #2
dannybgoode

Re: Hello everyone

Mackloti are great snakes but can get somewhat bigger than 6' (8-10' is more common). They are slender snakes though so don't 'feel' big if that makes sense. I recently turned down a stunning breeding pair and it was a really hard decision - they're incredible snakes.

You can get pure super dwarf retics. Madu island and Kalatoa localities stay around 6-8' and have all the character and attitude of the big mainlands.

Carpet pythons are great snakes and an Irian Jaya (Morelia spilota harrisoni) will rarely get bigger than 6'.

A dwarf locality Boa imperator would make a great first snake too. Love my generic central American imperator - she's a brilliant animal and an absolute joy to own.

Must be said I'd be tempted to stick with mackloti though. Unusual and the most stunning silver eyes - stays manageable and they generally have bags of character.

There are a fair few colubrids that meet your criteria as well. Pine Snakes, bull snake etc (Pituophis sp.) Are good fun and there's a few Eurasian rats - the Japanese rat (Elaphe climacophora) and Russian rat (Elaphe schrenckii) in particular spring to mind. Finally the Indo China rat (Pytas korros) is a stunning animal. Again unusual but easy enough to care for and an impressive creature.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 11-08-17, 10:29 AM   #3
LightHawk

Looked into the japanese rat snakes ( Elaphe climacophora ), I really love the particular green japanese rat snakes although I did read something about hibernation on which I need to read more about.
And some dwarf boa`s , in particular the tarahumara boa (Tarahumara Boa c. imperator?) with its very beautifull greyish look.

Really awesome to always be introduced to more awesome species of snakes, One of the most amazing thing when researching snakes is finding new unique species in my opinion!

still have a softspot for macklots pythons though, I dont know why but there just so awesome .
Old 11-08-17, 11:41 AM   #4
DJC Reptiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightHawk View Post
hi everyone! new to the forums here.

I have never kept any reptile in my life but im super intrested in snakes.
I always try to do research on species, habitats and snake keeping in general since I want the best for the pets I would own.
I have been to reptile conventions and held multible species of snakes, of which the largest was an non-adult retic (Python reticulatus) and it was amazing!

Species im really into right now are colombian rainbow boa`s (Epicrates maurus ) and macklots pythons (Liasis mackloti mackloti) but im always up for suggestions of new awesome species!

reasons why I am really intrested ,in set species, are:
  • about 6 feet ( 1.8 meters ) not to large yet not to big in my opinion.
  • love the brown colours in combination with there whitish bellies.
  • not to heavy bodied.
  • as far as I understand not picky eaters.
  • and I love their beautyfull eyes!

I hope to learn a lot of new things about the hobby on this forum!
Colombian Rainbow boas but not Brazilian Rainbow boas?
Old 11-08-17, 12:08 PM   #5
LightHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC Reptiles View Post
Colombian Rainbow boas but not Brazilian Rainbow boas?
I like the look of colombian rainbows way more than brazilian rainbows, a unpopular opinion but i do xp.
and as far as I understood is keeping colombian rainbow boas easier than brazilians so for me it didnt make sence to consider getting a brazilian.
Login to remove ads
Old 11-08-17, 12:59 PM   #6
DJC Reptiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightHawk View Post
I like the look of colombian rainbows way more than brazilian rainbows, a unpopular opinion but i do xp.
and as far as I understood is keeping colombian rainbow boas easier than brazilians so for me it didnt make sence to consider getting a brazilian.
They are much easier to keep and still an amazing snake! If you have any questions on husbandry or care, don't hesitate to ask!
Closed Thread

Tags
new guy