sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-12, 04:40 PM   #1
red ink
Wandering Cricket

Re: $%## this Roony *******

I thought igs were also running rampant in Florida....

It does'nt have to hurt people to devastate the local eco system... seems all people care about at the moment is self preservation.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-17-12, 04:49 PM   #2
jaleely
Member of the family

Uninformed are always the biggest problem. The uninformed and irrisponsible pet owners are also how we got to this point.

stephenbakir, you advised to sterilize and release them...why on *earth* would you do that? the facts are they *are* a non-native species. That's a terrible plan. Why wouldn't you just ship them back to the amazon or something or adopt them out? I mean, supposedly they are okay enough to own as pets to begin with...even the wild and imported ones. So, are they too used to the wild once in the everglades, to be adopted out? WHy would you catch and release? The whole point is people don't want them there.
27 snakes (7 sand boas, 4 hognose, 5 ball pythons, 1 bolivian boa, 2 dumeril's boas, 2 carpet pythons, 5 garters, 1 corn snake), 1 cave spider, 9 tarantulas, 1 tokay gecko, 2 dogs, 2 frogs, emperor scorpions 1,000 dubia roaches, & tons of fish.
Old 01-17-12, 04:54 PM   #3
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaleely View Post
Uninformed are always the biggest problem. The uninformed and irrisponsible pet owners are also how we got to this point.

stephenbakir, you advised to sterilize and release them...why on *earth* would you do that? the facts are they *are* a non-native species. That's a terrible plan. Why wouldn't you just ship them back to the amazon or something or adopt them out? I mean, supposedly they are okay enough to own as pets to begin with...even the wild and imported ones. So, are they too used to the wild once in the everglades, to be adopted out? WHy would you catch and release? The whole point is people don't want them there.
I was trying to refrain, but yeah, what the hell lol......they can still crush the enviornment for the next MANY years of its' life span, even if they can't reproduce.
Old 01-17-12, 04:57 PM   #4
red ink
Wandering Cricket

Quote:
Actually.. I would say it's not the uninformed that has caused the biggest problem but the apathy of the reptile hobby itself. If people cared enough not to sell just to anybody, not to buy from petshops, not to breed just for a quick buck, well then I would'nt think that the govt would have had to step in.

It's a big industry but unfortunately reptile hobbyist are still way way way outnumbered by non-reptile loving people. Given that it's a majority vote in a democracy, maybe the industry should have policed itself from the begining instead of chasing the bucks.

This is a wake up call to the hobby itself... be responsible or "they" step in.
Old 01-17-12, 05:07 PM   #5
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

Quote:

I understand that, and I specifically stated to sterilize MALES and release them back into the wild. The project has worked with dozens of species, the main ones being sea lamprey and various other fish species.

The way it works is, those males go back into the wild, and yeah they kill the stuff they eat, but they compete with other males for breeding rights with females, and they may lose some battles, but the battles they win mean they there will be 20-45 less pythons in the wild, it sounds crazy but it works, and it works WELL.
As those burms get older, they overpower more and more non sterile males and every female they breed slugs out, meaning there are so many less babies popping up in the wild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
I was trying to refrain, but yeah, what the hell lol......they can still crush the enviornment for the next MANY years of its' life span, even if they can't reproduce.
The damage they do is nothing compared to the damage ALL of the offspring they stop from popping up will do. 1 healthy male can breed 3-8 females in a season, more since mature male retics and burms are rapists... that male in the wild does their population more damage then simply removing him.
Old 01-17-12, 05:15 PM   #6
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

I wont argue with you there but why would you want ANY more damage done by releasing them back? OF course 1,000,000 of them will do more harm than 1,000. But why put that 1,000 back at all?
Old 01-17-12, 05:31 PM   #7
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

Quote:
I wont argue with you there but why would you want ANY more damage done by releasing them back? OF course 1,000,000 of them will do more harm than 1,000. But why put that 1,000 back at all?
Lets say half those 1000 males are healthy, and they each win 4 battles with other males for the females attention, they will then each breed their 4 females and those females will slug out.

Now, 500X4=2000 So 2000 females will be bred by the 1000 males you sterilized and released into the wild. Those 2000 females will lay between 20 and 45 slugs (infertile eggs) for the sake of argument I'm going to lowball it and say all 2000 females lay only 20 eggs. By releasing 1000 sterile females into the wild you just stopped 40,000 fertile eggs from being layed, not to mention all of the females the males found and didn't have to fight for.

Its a simple math problem.
Old 01-17-12, 05:38 PM   #8
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

Either you're missing what i'm saying or there is something that releasing them does i'm not understanding. I know what you're saying about them multiplying, I get your math problem. But why would you want to release them to "slug out" what exactly greater accomplishment does that achieve than just killing them so they don't go and mate in the first place. Just kill all the males and females.

If i'm not getting it explain in more detail please, i'd like to know.
Old 01-17-12, 05:45 PM   #9
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

Lets say the average person you send out into the glades gets 10 burms a week, 1.1 ratio, by releasing that 1 male every time you stop multiple clutches of 20-45 from being layed. This multiplies year by year because that male not only breeds every year hes alive in the wild, but he fights other males for females, and finds females for himself and breeds them. For the same manpower and just about the same investment you do WAY more damage the population then you otherwise would.
Yeh 1 burm will do damage, but is it better to accept that he will do damage if it means that he will stop the population explosion in some small way? even if he only breeds for 1 year and then dies in the winter, he just stopped 20-180 babies from ever being born.
Old 01-17-12, 05:48 PM   #10
Necrias

I think the point that Stephan was trying to make is that for each female these infertile males mate with, that is one less female giving birth. So you are "blocking" those fertile female from reproducing.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-17-12, 05:54 PM   #11
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrias View Post
I think the point that Stephan was trying to make is that for each female these infertile males mate with, that is one less female giving birth. So you are "blocking" those fertile female from reproducing.
You know what else stops a female from breeding? A slug to the head. Just my opinion I haven't been to the everglades so I don't know what it's like but given the opportunity i'd think they could have enough people hunting them out for their skins, like elephants and ivory. I know i'd be out as much as possible if I was there and it was open season no bag limit..
Old 01-17-12, 06:06 PM   #12
theapexgerman
Banned

Quote:
You know what else stops a female from breeding? A slug to the head. Just my opinion I haven't been to the everglades so I don't know what it's like but given the opportunity i'd think they could have enough people hunting them out for their skins, like elephants and ivory. I know i'd be out as much as possible if I was there and it was open season no bag limit..
lol i like that slug to the head
Old 01-17-12, 05:49 PM   #13
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

Exactly! it works better then you think.
Old 01-17-12, 05:52 PM   #14
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

So you are going off the assumption that the female will breed with a male regardless, and it would be better to be a sterile male,taking up her breeding season. At least I understand what you are saying now thanks for explaining it. I see what you're saying but that involves live catching/sexing. I still think it would be better to just slaughter every one. We've hunted other species to extinction/ near extinction, what's different about this? There would actually be a high market for burm leather products I would assume..
Old 01-17-12, 05:59 PM   #15
red ink
Wandering Cricket

You've caught it... and you would go to the trouble of performing an operation to sterilise it then release it?

A quick destruction of the medulla oblangata would be more efficient and cost effective... why release it again as while it is out there firing blanks it's still causing damage to the eco system. A more effective way in saving the ecosystem is not by having sterile males out there, it would be by not having any males (or females) at all.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread