Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Varanid

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-12, 04:59 PM   #1
infernalis

Re: Monitor enclosure discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo9e64 View Post
I just got 8 private messages from 8 different people supporting me,i'm lying of coarse because Wayne can read my supposedly private messages.But lets say i did,firstly they are private i would respect that and secondly it would be heresay.I'm surprised nobody caught CrocDoc's hypocricy-I belieive his claims,but isn't that being hypocritical a objective moderator would have caught that and pointed it out in the very least.I don't feel i'm being bashed just used to bash someone else-but hey that's just an ethical technicality,or a stacked deck of cards.
Even though administration can read PM messages, unless foul play is suspected (like poaching members to another forum) we simply don't.

In fact I just banned a member for posting his PM's on facebook.

Calling David a hypocrite? uhm OK.. whatever.

How many Varanid documentaries have FR in the closing credits??? I have yet to watch one.

Savannahmonitor.net
Login to remove ads
Old 07-12-12, 05:25 PM   #2
crocdoc

Send a message via AIM to crocdoc

Ah, sorry, I missed Moe's point. He's saying that I'm lying about my claims about getting PMs from people telling me what they really think, therefore his hypothetical example of getting 8 PMs from people supporting him.

No, I'm not going to reveal who those people are or what they have said because that would betray their confidence in the privacy of our exchanges. However, anyone that knows me from the forums over the years, whether they think I'm an arrogant _____ or a nice guy, will still get an idea of whether or not I've ever felt the need to lie about what I've seen or haven't seen, what I've bred or haven't bred or even what people have said to me or haven't said to me, in private or otherwise. I haven't felt the need to lie because I don't have a pathological desire to maintain a particular 'status' on the forums, so the idea of lying wouldn't even enter my head. Why on earth would I make that stuff up?

However, if you want examples of the stuff that is on public display, such as the 180 degree turns (or anything else) I've mentioned, I'm happy to provide those on here. With links, quotes, the lot. Where moderators of other forums haven't carefully removed them, of course, for we've all seen that happen.

The important thing isn't who has more people on their team and who is getting more PMs of support, anyway. It's about the information. This didn't start as a bashing - it started as me correcting the information you had provided on deep substrate and burrowing in monitors. Why not just tell us the source of your information about all monitors being burrowers in the wild or that this was 'discovered' and applied to captivity only after many years of people ignoring it because of an inbuilt 'fault' in humans, so we know that this isn't a sign of insidious creep from elsewhere? That's how all of this started, long before it became a bashing. Here's your chance to diffuse it. Show us the source and if it didn't come from your mate I'll apologise for thinking it did.

Last edited by crocdoc; 07-12-12 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: grammatical editing - said 'never' when I meant 'ever'
Old 07-12-12, 07:46 PM   #3
mo9e64

Dave,i'm not calling you a liar, i believe you got them and what you say their content was,just that without producing them they are just hearsay.Hearsay is not evidence,was all i was saying.
Old 07-12-12, 08:06 PM   #4
infernalis

Hearsay is he said, she said.

When it's "I said" and the source is credible, we call that testimony.

Quote:
Hearsay is information gathered by one person from another person concerning some event, condition, or thing of which the first person had no direct experience. When submitted as evidence, such statements are called hearsay evidence
With this definition in hand, repeating what "someone else" has posted on another forum without actually experiencing it yourself is hearsay.

Quote:
testimony is a solemn attestation as to the truth of a matter
Quote:
The words "testimony" and "testify" both have a root in the Latin testis, which is normally translated "witness".
Therefore by definition, what David has witnessed with his own eyes VS assumptions made by reading something that someone with far less credibility has written on another forum, I would put my money on the credible witness any day.

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 07-12-12, 08:29 PM   #5
crocdoc

Send a message via AIM to crocdoc

Moe, if that's all that stands between you separating my credibility from that of your mate (and therefore making me a hypocrite in your eyes), shoot me an email and I'll forward some examples on two provisos:

1. You do not repeat anything said in those emails, or tell anyone who sent them, either here on the other forum(s) you frequent.

2. You delete them after you read them.

Herein lies the difference between your mate and me. I don't make bold claims about things I can't support. I'm about to head out of town for a couple of days, but next week I should have time to go through my outlook folders and find some juicy ones for you, if that floats your boat.

This is me extending my trust to you. Betray that trust and the next forum bashing will not be directed at your mate.

It is still way off topic and not addressing the source of the 'all monitors burrow in the wild' and 'no one noticed before because of an inbuilt default of humans' statements, though.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-28-12, 08:30 PM   #6
DiscoPat

I recently noticed a lot of tiny baby crickets in my enclosure. I am unsure how to feel about this. Is it a bad thing or..?
Old 07-28-12, 09:32 PM   #7
infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoPat View Post
I recently noticed a lot of tiny baby crickets in my enclosure. I am unsure how to feel about this. Is it a bad thing or..?
Cleanup crew...

Crickets eat waste.

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 07-28-12, 09:55 PM   #8
DiscoPat

So it is a good thing or does it mean I should clean the cage more? or does it mean I will have to clean it less.
Old 07-28-12, 09:58 PM   #9
infernalis

Clean less.

Crickets will even eat poop.

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 07-28-12, 10:00 PM   #10
DiscoPat

That is pretty cool, I saw around 50 or so babies in the grass area, I wonder if they will get big enough for Steve to eat as well.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-28-12, 10:03 PM   #11
infernalis

If they do, you may never know, Steve may just eat the evidence.

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 07-28-12, 10:14 PM   #12
DiscoPat

That reminds me, I was wondering if it would be possible, no matter how difficult to create a somewhat self sustaining ecosystem in a large enclosure, like a 12x12x8 or like 20x20x8 something like that.
Old 07-28-12, 10:37 PM   #13
Pirarucu

I'm sure it would be possible with the 20x20 or bigger. 12x12 would be not likely, but 20x20 would be doable, and is something I intend to attempt one day. Though I may go for 30x20 if possible.
Old 07-28-12, 10:41 PM   #14
infernalis

Depends on what you mean by "self sustaining"

I doubt you could breed sufficient food within the enclosure.

If you could, how would you keep the lizard from eating it all.

Savannahmonitor.net
Old 07-28-12, 10:48 PM   #15
DiscoPat

That is very true, I was thinking something that could hold itself for maybe a week or so at a time with no upkeep.

Also maybe there could be a cricket nest or something like that in a top corner and maybe some mouse nest through an area that they can leave but a monitor couldn't get in. it would be more of a thing for a full grown monitor.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread