border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > General Lizard Forum.

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-16, 08:45 AM   #1
Odynxjules

Angry Nile monitor (very mad at how he was treated)

Ok, so here's the story, my ex-roomate bought a nile monitor a year ago and never cleaned out his cage......once....except when he moved him to a new one. And never handled him because he wanted ot keep him "on a primal lvl" because thats what he connected with, now I am assuming responsiblity for it for alteast the next 2 years in hopes to make him handle able enough for an actual expert. His name is Odyn, rightfully named I think. But I was wondering if there was anyone out there that could help me with something. He hasn't eaten in the last couple of days because I have been busy in the morning forking and we haven't had frozen rats. and for the most part that is what he has been fed on since he has gotten big enough. If I were to feed him live would that make it so he can't eat frozen again, or would I be able to switch him back when necessary? And if I were to switch him around with food, what would be a good recomendation. I think he was about.....a few weeks old when he got him?
Login to remove ads
Old 11-28-16, 03:28 PM   #2
Odynxjules

Re: Nile monitor (very mad at how he was treated)

I meant to say busy working, I was typing so fast I wasn't thinking.
Old 11-28-16, 03:54 PM   #3
dave himself

Sorry I know nothing about monitors it can be a bit slow around here sometimes but I'm sure someone will be along soon to answer your question
Old 11-28-16, 04:03 PM   #4
Bandit

I don't have too much experience with monitors, and I've never had to deal with one that wouldn't eat. I feel like you could do that and switch him back to f/t without problems. I'd wait for some other opinions before moving on it, but I don't see it being an issue. They are pretty voracious eaters so I don't think they'd turn f/t down, even after having live for a while.
Old 11-28-16, 04:20 PM   #5
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

You'd want to move to a better diet than just rodents. You can try quail or chicks, large roaches or other large worms as some food items. There's various items you can offer up. The best way to gain the "trust" of a monitor is to only interact with it when you need to, showing that you're not someone to be feared by trying to grab it and handle it.
Login to remove ads
Old 11-28-16, 04:28 PM   #6
Odynxjules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
You'd want to move to a better diet than just rodents. You can try quail or chicks, large roaches or other large worms as some food items. There's various items you can offer up. The best way to gain the "trust" of a monitor is to only interact with it when you need to, showing that you're not someone to be feared by trying to grab it and handle it.
Im only doing rodents right now because my knowledge is still pretty limited. would pet stores like petco or petsmart sell something like the large worms or large roaches?

And im guessing what you meaning is just transferring him from one space to another while feeding him and then back to begin with? or for most of his life?
Old 11-29-16, 06:32 AM   #7
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odynxjules View Post
Im only doing rodents right now because my knowledge is still pretty limited. would pet stores like petco or petsmart sell something like the large worms or large roaches?

And im guessing what you meaning is just transferring him from one space to another while feeding him and then back to begin with? or for most of his life?
I live in Canada so I am unsure what your pet stores have down there for feeders. Lots of reptile feeder online stores though you can order from.

What I mean is handling at all. You should feed inside the enclosure, the animal will feel more secure.
Old 11-29-16, 07:31 AM   #8
Odynxjules

Quote:
I live in Canada so I am unsure what your pet stores have down there for feeders. Lots of reptile feeder online stores though you can order from.

What I mean is handling at all. You should feed inside the enclosure, the animal will feel more secure.
Would it be possible to make him handlable, especially for a vet? if so what would be the best way to go about it. my roomates mom, who has mostly taken care of bearded dragons, has said that when I go to grab them don't give them a choice? what would it do to the lizard if I did that. sorry, lots of question, most websites won't answer them.
Old 11-29-16, 11:30 AM   #9
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Would it be possible to make him handlable, especially for a vet? if so what would be the best way to go about it. my roomates mom, who has mostly taken care of bearded dragons, has said that when I go to grab them don't give them a choice? what would it do to the lizard if I did that. sorry, lots of question, most websites won't answer them.
That's inciting fear into the animal and you'll never be able to work with it properly. Quite honestly I believe in a hands off approach with these larger animals. They never quite tame down but they won't come and try to rip off your fingers.

99% of all "tame" monitors are just stressed out to the point of slow-moving long term illness.
Old 11-29-16, 11:44 AM   #10
Odynxjules

Quote:
That's inciting fear into the animal and you'll never be able to work with it properly. Quite honestly I believe in a hands off approach with these larger animals. They never quite tame down but they won't come and try to rip off your fingers.

99% of all "tame" monitors are just stressed out to the point of slow-moving long term illness.
I decided this morning that we will try to just find an expert that would take care of him much better than I can. I love odyn to death and would just prefer him to happy. his enclosure isn't the best and it's not the biggest thing but he can atleast move around in it for now. So a professional would be best, the previous owner did VERY lazy research on him and is still attempting it. His owner hasn't abandoned him and we are hoping they will go to canada soon so that abandonment can be claimed. Don't think ill of me for wanting his owner to abandon him but after how he was neglected.....yeah....my reasoning is sound. Do you know if there might be a way to legally be able to make him mine if the owner doesn't wind up abandoning him?
Old 11-29-16, 12:41 PM   #11
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

Depending on your state laws an animal is considered 'yours' after 30 days of care not under contract. (Meaning, so long as the owner doesn't have it in writing that you are only to care for it, but it is still his, it will legally be yours after 30 days).

Again, look at your local laws of 'animal abandonment' before making this decision.

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 11-29-16, 02:50 PM   #12
Odynxjules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkness View Post
Depending on your state laws an animal is considered 'yours' after 30 days of care not under contract. (Meaning, so long as the owner doesn't have it in writing that you are only to care for it, but it is still his, it will legally be yours after 30 days).

Again, look at your local laws of 'animal abandonment' before making this decision.
there aren't any laws stating that a written contract needed to be made. I have been [aying for everything and they havn't paid me back for any of it yet.....would that count? and no there is no contract
Old 11-29-16, 04:06 PM   #13
sirtalis

Quote:
Would you tame a wolf or another wild animal by forcibly grabbing it? Hands off is by far the best approach to taming a monitor. Check out savannahmonitor.net for care. Even though the site is for Savannah monitors the care will work fine for Niles.
Old 11-30-16, 10:26 AM   #14
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Pay him $30 to make it yours? Only way to make it legally yours without abandonment.
Old 11-30-16, 03:26 PM   #15
Odynxjules

Quote:
Pay him $30 to make it yours? Only way to make it legally yours without abandonment.
-sigh- I might ask him how much for the lizard, how much do they usually go for?
Closed Thread

Tags
feeding help, nile monitor, sad story