border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-18, 02:15 AM   #1
mantha_ray

Help! Moving my snake across the country

I am currently living in Utah with my wonderful snow corn named Milton. I'm having some life changes going on right now and will be moving to California - about 11 hours away - in the coming months. I'm feeling pretty nervous about the move with Milton and was wondering how I should go about moving him. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!
I am planning on driving, if that information helps, but I am open to any suggestions on making this move as comfortable for him as possible.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-21-18, 05:13 AM   #2
Roman

Re: Help! Moving my snake across the country

Nothing to worry about.

Don’t feed your snake the week before you move, so the stomach and bowel is empty. Make sure it has water and can drink before the move.

At the day of your move, put the snake into a cloth bag, this can be a specialized “reptile” bag, but I used anything from an old sock to a pillowcase depending on the size of the snake. Just make sure that the bag is secure, no holes in it your snake might use to escape. Tie it with some cord and put the bag into a polystyrene box. The polystyrene lets oxygen pass, so your snake has always enough fresh air, but insulates your snake against overheating or cooling down.

That’s it, put the box into your car, drive to your new home, get the enclosure up and running again and then put your snake back into it. You don’t need to check on it during your move. If the travel time would be considerably longer (>24 h) I would open the bag and offer some water.
1,0 Lampropeltis triangulum campbelli, 1,2 Gonyosoma oxycephalum, 1,2 Philodryas baroni, 1,2 Spilotes pullatus, 2,1 Spilotes sulphureus, 0,1 Gonyosoma boulengeri, 1,1 Zamenis longissimus, 0,1 Malpolon sp., 1,1 Malpolon monspessulanus
Old 07-21-18, 11:28 AM   #3
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: Help! Moving my snake across the country

I agree with Roman. Don't feed him the week prior. Pack him up safely in a tote. Don't let it get too hot or too cold and hit the road. He'll be just fine. Safe travels and best wishes with the move.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Closed Thread

Tags
advice needed, corn snake, moving, transporting