sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-12, 11:33 AM   #1
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

Scrubby helping us decorate +more

We were decorating for Xmas, had the scrub out so she could explore while we got to work.
Finally got my female retic switched to rabbits about 2 months ago, thats her with a 12lb.

The reason for the scrub being in with the retic is simple, I'm attempting to breed them. (they have locked a number of times over a 2 month period, however I don't believe she is gravid)
Now, before people rant about hybrids being evil I'd like to explain myself and my position on hybrids.
I don't mind hybrids when they are treated as such, I believe hybrids should be labeled correctly, only sold to those who understand what they are and if forced to resell them, will label them correctly. I have just under a dozen keepers across canada that I know and trust, and 3 in the states that I know want offspring from the clutch should it even happen. If when she lays I have, say... 15 people who I know and trust who want babies, I plan to incubate an extra 33% of the eggs just in case some don't make it to term, and if they all do, I'll properly relocate the surplus offspring to the right homes or keep them myself. Another reason I'm being careful with the babies is because both of the parents come from species that fall under the "giant" category, scrubs get long and lean, retics get long and bulky. I don't have any idea how big the babies (if the pairing is even viable) will get, or what the temperament will be (This scrub is dog tame, but as a species they can generally be a handful)
The genetics of the babies will be 50% mainland retic (with a 50% chance of being platinum(fire) and will also be 50% poss het albino) and 50% Merauke X Sorong scrub.

I'd like peoples input on the pairing if you have one, but please make it CONSTRUCTIVE criticism only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0076.jpg (23.9 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0072.jpg (25.7 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0057.jpg (23.7 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0056.jpg (25.3 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0063.jpg (24.2 KB, 139 views)