border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-15, 04:38 PM   #1
AlexCrazy

Question gonna breed mice..good idea?

hi.. im planing on getting a snake [don't know what but maybe a king or garter-(black one with blue stripes)] and my country dosent have any snake breeders or sellers (I called all the pet stores and aquariums in the freaking country).. An aquarium guy whas the best i found but never gave me much hope. soo im gonna travel to Brazil the 21 and if i don't find one there ill import from USA. So.. getting to the point.. i not sure if to start breeding the white mice now all ready.. or not.. :S and it would be nice if someone who does can give me hands on advice. also i want to live feed my snake.. [ i think its cooler and more natural(plus my mom wont want mice in the freezer)] please.. any opinion will be appreciated.. harsh or not!
Login to remove ads
Old 06-13-15, 04:49 PM   #2
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness
Re: gonna breed mice..good idea?

For 1 snake, breeding your iwn mice would get overwhelming. Also, live is dangerous for the snake.

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 06-13-15, 05:14 PM   #3
trailblazer295

Personally I feed live, just follow the rules of live if that's what you wish. Don't leave it alone with the snake period. If after 20-30 minutes the snake hasn't taken interest and killed it then remove the prey and try again another day. Most of the gory images of snakes killed by prey is due to keepers leaving live prey in a tank with a snake that isn't interested. In the wild the prey would simply keep moving but can't in a box.

As for breeding mice for 1 snake I couldn't say but I inquired for 2 snakes at my local store and the guy said it wasn't worth it. The growth rate of them etc in relation to the size of the snake without a "garbage disposal" IE snake that will eat anything you'll have more mice then snakes to feed. I'd try seeing who might sell feeders in your area. Or ask your mom if you can buy a separate small freezer and use that.
Old 06-13-15, 05:18 PM   #4
AlexCrazy

the problem is that people don't sell mice here.. only in the capital but not even so much there. problem with thaned.. my mom wont have mice in the frezer... ever.
for the danger part i read that if (i don't love cruelty but..) i put it in a bag and give it a nice WAk on a table it will solve the problem..he will be ALMOST unconscious.. ha ha
Old 06-13-15, 05:19 PM   #5
trailblazer295

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexCrazy View Post
the problem is that people don't sell mice here.. only in the capital but not even so much there. problem with thaned.. my mom wont have mice in the frezer... ever.
for the danger part i read that if (i don't love cruelty but..) i put it in a bag and give it a nice WAk on a table it will solve the problem..he will be ALMOST unconscious.. ha ha
Could you have a separate small freezer only for dead mice? I'm thinking like a mini fridge idea. Maybe they don't have them in your country but I'd try looking into that. It is cheaper to order bulk frozen then live. The cost personally doesn't bother me as it costs me more to feed my cat each week then feeding 2 adult snakes will be, probably because I don't buy cheap garbage cat food either but still.
Old 06-13-15, 05:20 PM   #6
AlexCrazy

yeah.. i think ill do the timing @trailblazer285 and the separate fridge.. but maybe if i just like breed sufficient for like 2 month and the separate went my supply is inuf.. or something like that... cos they like have babies every 2 weeks or something like that.. i don't remember well
Old 06-13-15, 05:23 PM   #7
trailblazer295

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean
Old 06-13-15, 05:39 PM   #8
AlexCrazy

i read that mice have there babies in 2 weeks about.. so wen i have the litter.. (with 6-8 pups about) i can just separate the parents so they don't make more.. until i need more for the next month again..
Old 06-13-15, 05:42 PM   #9
trailblazer295

Quote:
i read that mice have there babies in 2 weeks about.. so wen i have the litter.. (with 6-8 pups about) i can just separate the parents so they don't make more.. until i need more for the next month again..
The other factor to take into account is the growth rate. Which I only just learned they can very quickly outgrow your snakes food size. I thought about buying 2-3 at a time from the store and the guy showed me in that time how fast they will grow. Not trying to discourage you just trying to pass the knowledge recently given to me. Even buying 2-3 items housing cost aside they will grow bigger then my snake can handle before I get to them.

You obviously need many snakes I'm only joking as a member wisely told me, don't buy too many to fast or you might tire of them etc.
Old 06-13-15, 05:50 PM   #10
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Sunce I have recently got my first breeding trio of mice, I have been looking into this myself.

Now, I have 3 snakes of varying sizes. Even then, I know I will have more than I need. I will be euthanizing then freezing but also offering live and frozen to locals. I don't NEED to breed them I just want to. So, I got pet quality weanling mice and treat them like pets, not breeding machines. That way if I choose that breeding becomes too much of a hassle, I still have cute pets. =)

Login to remove ads
Old 06-13-15, 06:11 PM   #11
AlexCrazy

thanks soo much... ayayayy im so lost. i don't know what im going to do.
i do love rodents so i also would sort of have them as pets.. i have a hamster called Thomas.
i think im going to have to manege this with my dad and see what i can do. but what worries me most is what do i do to start. if the snake is small.. i might be in trouble.. and might be forced to breed. cos i have even leees chances of finding pinky's never mind normal mice.. kinda wish my country were more develop and more in to snakes
Old 06-13-15, 06:17 PM   #12
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Tough call. Usually ordering online is best, but since you can't keep them in the freezer....can't help ya. =/

Old 06-13-15, 06:25 PM   #13
trailblazer295

Quote:
thanks soo much... ayayayy im so lost. i don't know what im going to do.
i do love rodents so i also would sort of have them as pets.. i have a hamster called Thomas.
i think im going to have to manege this with my dad and see what i can do. but what worries me most is what do i do to start. if the snake is small.. i might be in trouble.. and might be forced to breed. cos i have even leees chances of finding pinky's never mind normal mice.. kinda wish my country were more develop and more in to snakes
Maybe try any reptile store. Even lizards eat rodents etc so there might be other stores that sell what you need. I'd just call every pet store you can and just ask.
Old 06-13-15, 07:57 PM   #14
AlexCrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer295 View Post
Maybe try any reptile store. Even lizards eat rodents etc so there might be other stores that sell what you need. I'd just call every pet store you can and just ask.
the funny thing is that i did call every one.. about snakes.. {and this country only keeps cats and dogs mostly :'( not exotic pets} but i could try for mice.. i had a good talk with my mom and she seas there's a place in the freezer for me to keep my mice wen the time comes.. im happier now.. i guess ill breed.. and wen they are at the right size.. freeze..
Old 06-13-15, 07:59 PM   #15
trailblazer295

Quote:
the funny thing is that i did call every one.. about snakes.. {and this country only keeps cats and dogs mostly :'( not exotic pets} but i could try for mice.. i had a good talk with my mom and she seas there's a place in the freezer for me to keep my mice wen the time comes.. im happier now.. i guess ill breed.. and wen they are at the right size.. freeze..
Congrats man, ask any questions you have about snakes. This is a great forum for information.
Closed Thread

Tags
albert clark, grantlapaz, sasha2