border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-12, 07:18 PM   #1
Aanayab1

Re: My fishy friends

etc: Yes very expensive frogfish food. I don't know of anyone who has kept one alive more than 1.5 yrs from buying them as babies but mr pink is working on year 4 now I feel like if he has lived this long so far I must be doing something right... Eel proofing is actually quite simple. Solid glass lid with .5" holes drilled through for gas exchange. The water drains via three 1.5" bulk heads that are in the overflow, the over flow is blocked off by egg crate. I had to put screen over the holes in top and egg crate when he was small enough to fit through it but that only lasted about 3-4 months. The water is fed back into tank via three .75" bulkheads. For circulation I am running a closed loop system that is also drilled through the glass so I have nothing coming over the edge of the tank requiring cuts in the glass lid. Oh and I use 3/8" glass so if or when he tries to lift it there is a good bit of weight he has to fight with. I as well really like the Japanese and Hawaiian dragon eel but they don't really have that nasty of attitudes (and that is what I like about moray eels) they just look as if they do because of the hooked jaw and long teeth. There are a lot others that are even nastier than the fimbriated but most of those get HUGE and need a chiller to thrive. If I had the nerve I would own one but the cost of chillers, size of tank and cost of the eel are to high for me. The eel I would like is the Enchelycore anatina.... but the last few that came into US were rumored that they went for 2500-8000 and yea that's why I don't even wanna go there, the others are between 750-1200 but still steep for a fish to me.
What I share are only my experiences, point of view or things I have read. They are not what you must do or believe. They are simply things to give you ideas and research further so you can make an educated/informed decision on what may work best for you and your animal.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread