border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Thamnophis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-14, 07:55 AM   #61
Obsidian_Dragon

Re: Draco Profile

I'm lucky enough to catch mine out more often now that I've "cluttered" her enclosure. 2 plants, 2 plastic hides, 2 cardboard tubes doesn't leave a lot of open space and she seems to appreciate this.

Yesterday I caught her out...and up.

"Excuse you, what are you doing?"
"Uh....hanging out."
Old 09-15-14, 08:15 AM   #62
drumcrush

Mine is always out! Racing around the tank all the time. When I handle her though, she stays extremely calm. She will just sit there and let me pet her head
Old 09-15-14, 02:04 PM   #63
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian_Dragon View Post
I'm lucky enough to catch mine out more often now that I've "cluttered" her enclosure. 2 plants, 2 plastic hides, 2 cardboard tubes doesn't leave a lot of open space and she seems to appreciate this.

Yesterday I caught her out...and up.

"Excuse you, what are you doing?"
"Uh....hanging out."
Oh wow. What a little climber, reminds me of my ball python. lol She's got some gorgeous colors, too. About how old is she?

I've got most of the floor space, maybe 95% of it covered, so he's got lots of places to hide. I do have a plastic vine in there, but I'd like to add a branch-like decoration to it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumcrush View Post
Mine is always out! Racing around the tank all the time. When I handle her though, she stays extremely calm. She will just sit there and let me pet her head
Lucky, that's not Draco, even by a drop. :P I think if I can ever move out to a place where I have my own room I'll be able to see him explore more often, but I'm usually in a different room, unfortunately.
Old 09-15-14, 02:46 PM   #64
Obsidian_Dragon

I'm not 100% sure how old she is--I was so worried about asking about what she was eating I forgot I ask the breeder when she hatched! Not very, though. My precious little baaaaaby.

She was a nice bright yellow when I first got her a month ago, but she's greened up some since her last shed. Het pastels are only obvious as babies, as adults they looked like your standard checkered, iirc. It's hard to say as I can't find many pictures of them. :P Google invariably wants to show me pastel balls. Noooo, google.

Dart definitely doesn't race around, but I come into the room and catch her climbing her plants, or...well, apparently climbing everything else, too. I could probably buy her a nice stick to climb on, but I can only shove so much stuff in a 10 gallon!
Old 09-16-14, 02:15 PM   #65
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure how old she is--I was so worried about asking about what she was eating I forgot I ask the breeder when she hatched! Not very, though. My precious little baaaaaby.

She was a nice bright yellow when I first got her a month ago, but she's greened up some since her last shed. Het pastels are only obvious as babies, as adults they looked like your standard checkered, iirc. It's hard to say as I can't find many pictures of them. :P Google invariably wants to show me pastel balls. Noooo, google.

Dart definitely doesn't race around, but I come into the room and catch her climbing her plants, or...well, apparently climbing everything else, too. I could probably buy her a nice stick to climb on, but I can only shove so much stuff in a 10 gallon!
Are you still able to get in touch with the breeder? Maybe they'd still have her records idk.

lol Yeah Google can be weird.

Well at least you know she's getting her exercise. :P
Old 10-30-14, 08:40 PM   #66
bigsnakegirl785

I haven't made updates in here in a little while.

Draco now weighs 15 grams, unfortunately I have no way to see how much length he's grown as he won't sit still long enough for me to take a good photo for SerpWidgets. lol

Here are some recent photos.

I assume this swelling is indicative of sexual maturity? It's after his cloacal opening, in the area where his hemipenes are.
Old 10-30-14, 09:15 PM   #67
sharthun

Looking good!

Steve
Old 10-31-14, 06:14 AM   #68
drumcrush

Sweet pics!
Old 10-31-14, 09:27 PM   #69
bigsnakegirl785

Thanks guys!
Old 02-23-15, 02:39 PM   #70
bigsnakegirl785

I last weighed Draco at 23 grams. It seems like he gained a lot of weight, because last month I only have him at 17 grams, and for the past several months he's only been putting on one gram a month. I just weighed him again and he's 18 grams, but I did figure out what the problem was. I didn't tare off the weight of the cap! So it added another 5 grams to his weight. Whoops.

He's also large enough that the pinkies barely leave a bulge, so I'm going to try feeding him 2 pinkies per feeding, as I don't think he's big enough to go up a whole size and I've heard of there being impaction problems feeding furred rodents to garters and I just want to be safe.

Here are some phone photos, in the absence of a working camera.

Found him under his humid hide.

Old 02-23-15, 03:33 PM   #71
drumcrush

good to see he is growing! Mrs. B is on adult mice, it is crazy how fast she has grown!
Old 02-24-15, 07:07 AM   #72
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumcrush View Post
good to see he is growing! Mrs. B is on adult mice, it is crazy how fast she has grown!
It's always amazing to see how fast babies grow. I just wonder when male garters usually stop growing or stop growing a noticeable amount. lol He's almost 1.5 years now. I have a feeling he'll get another growth spurt with the bump in food, too. He grew fast, but it still took him awhile for the pinkies to not leave a bulge anymore. haha I guess I'll see if he takes his two pinkies today, after I get some sleep. -.-
Old 02-24-15, 01:35 PM   #73
Obsidian_Dragon

How is Dart so much younger and yet about the same size? O.o o.O

I wonder if it's because he's been mouse fed from the get go. Hmm.

Dart takes two, but they're only day old pinks, because...his head is tiny. Well, sometimes. Sometimes he wants only one, thank you.
Old 02-24-15, 01:41 PM   #74
drumcrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
It's always amazing to see how fast babies grow. I just wonder when male garters usually stop growing or stop growing a noticeable amount. lol He's almost 1.5 years now. I have a feeling he'll get another growth spurt with the bump in food, too. He grew fast, but it still took him awhile for the pinkies to not leave a bulge anymore. haha I guess I'll see if he takes his two pinkies today, after I get some sleep. -.-
Probably because he is a male and the fact that they don't grow as big. Mrs. B is about the same age. I can't wait till she is fully grown!

Quote:

Dart takes two, but they're only day old pinks, because...his head is tiny. Well, sometimes. Sometimes he wants only one, thank you.
It is probably because he is a male. They don't grow as big as females do, normally stopping about 2- 2.5 ft. Depending on the species but since it's checkered, it should be around that range. With that, he probably won't grow as fast. Kind of hard for me to explain lol
Old 02-24-15, 03:38 PM   #75
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:

I'm not sure. Draco has been on mice pretty much the entire time I had him, but the first 3 months or so he would eat nothing but live fish. As soon as I could switch him to mice, he was eating mouse parts. Maybe I just didn't feed him enough mouse parts when I switched him, or I didn't put him on whole pinkies fast enough? Idk, he's still steadily growing, though, so I'm sure he'll get there.

Also, the double pinky plan worked! He took both of them. I laid one as close to his head as I could (he had it poking out of his bedding on his hot side, just looking around), and I laid the other one just behind it. He took one and then the other with no hesitation. I honestly didn't think he'd eat both! Guess I was proved wrong. :P
Closed Thread